What is Metteyya's Name, Right Now

Exploring the Dhamma, as understood from the perspective of the ancient Pali commentaries.
bhavanirodha

What is Metteyya's Name, Right Now

Post by bhavanirodha »

Dear Friends in Dhamma,

Is there any mention of what name the current Bodhisatta, Metteyya, goes by in his current birth?

Metta and peace,
Bowing and thanks,
Abhaya (Andrew)
Aloka

Re: What is Metteyya's Name, Right Now

Post by Aloka »

Hi Andrew,

I think according to the mythology about such things, "Maitreya" is probably in the "Tushita heaven" at the moment.

Kind regards,

Aloka :anjali:
bhavanirodha

Post by bhavanirodha »

Dear Aloka,

Thank you for your reply. However my question isn't where he abides, as my understanding is that all bodhisattas reside in the Tusita Heaven prior to taking their final birth. I'm wondering if anyone knows his current name/appellation. The Lord had his own name up there, but I can't recall what it was, or where I read it. Obviously he wasn't "Gotama" up there! :P And it seems likely that Metteya goes by something different than the name he was foretold to take in his final birth.

Metta and peace,
Bowing and thanks,
Abhaya (Andrew)
Lombardi4

Post by Lombardi4 »

How would anyone know? It's Gotama Buddha that predicted Metteyya/Maitreya Buddha, so unless it is in the scriptures, how would anyone know what his current name is or where he is at present. If it's just "according to mythology" as Aloka says, it's not a sure thing. It might be you or me or anyone! Imagine that! Imagine it's you and you are currently living a life that's part of your bodhisatta career and you have to attain full Buddhahood at some point after Gotama Buddha's dispensation dies out... Just a thought. :tongue:
dharmacorps

Post by dharmacorps »

Are you looking for an answer that is along the lines of "His name is Joe Smith and he lives on 999 center street in Cleveland, OH"?
bhavanirodha

Post by bhavanirodha »

Dear Friends in Dhamma,

(further research indicates that it is actually 969 Bodhisatta Ave, Tusita, Samsara. Jk, LOL)

I'm not saying this should have any significance to anyone, it was just a curious inquiry. Is there any traditional or mythological name attached to the Bodhisatta at this time?

Metta and peace,
Abhaya (Andrew)
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

bhavanirodha wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:40 pm Dear Friends in Dhamma,
(further research indicates that it is actually 969 Bodhisatta Ave, Tusita, Samsara. Jk, LOL)
You definitely got the wrong address. :tongue:

969 is associated with:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/969_Movement
LG2V

Post by LG2V »

I think the commentaries said that he is called Nathadeva. It means "Protector".
Here are some excellent sites for giving free Dana (Click-Based Donation):
http://freerice.comhttp://greatergood.com/www.ripple.orgwww.thenonprofits.com
bhavanirodha

Post by bhavanirodha »

Dear Friends in Dhamma,

LG2V: Thank you, I think this is what I was looking for.

DNS: As far as I understand, the 969 numerology predates its use by that particular movement.

Metta and peace,
Bowing and thanks,
Abhaya (Andrew)