"Do not soil the mind.." (Sn 35:94)

Exploring the Dhamma, as understood from the perspective of the ancient Pali commentaries.
phil

"Do not soil the mind.." (Sn 35:94)

Post by phil »

Often caught by the phrase from 35:94, "dispel the path of lust toward the delightful, and do not soil the mind by thinking, '(the other) is displeasing to me." It comes in the verses added to the discourse. (If I recall correctly, it is thought that in discoures where there is a poem like addendum, these verses were probably added later, in the recording. Correct me if I'm wrong.)

What is this word for "soil" and is it used elsewhere as a simile for aversion? The discourse on the hindrances and water has aversion as boiling water if I recall correctly, not soil, which might be used for…ignorance?

I'm mostly asking because I want to reinforce the conditioning power of the reminder, but if you could tell me anything about this use of "soil" as a verb I would be grateful. If we take "soil" to refer to excremement rather than dirt, one is reminded of the stick with fire on one end and excremement on the other.

Thanks
Kammalakkhano , bhikkhave, bālo, kammalakkhano pandito, apadānasobhanī paññāti
(The fool is characterized by his/her actions/the wise one is characterized by his/her actions/Wisdom shines forth in behaviour.)
(AN 3.2 Lakkhana Sutta)
SarathW

Re: "Do not soil the mind.." (Sn 35:94)

Post by SarathW »

[ There are beings with little dust in their eyes who are falling away because they do not hear the Dhamma. There will be those who will understand the Dhamma.'/quote]

Dust is another word used.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
binocular

Re: "Do not soil the mind.." (Sn 35:94)

Post by binocular »

phil wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:06 pmIf we take "soil" to refer to excremement rather than dirt, one is reminded of the stick with fire on one end and excremement on the other.
A person ruthless & grasping,
smeared like a nursing diaper:
to him
I have nothing to say.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!