Meaning of "crores" in Buddhavamsa

Exploring the Dhamma, as understood from the perspective of the ancient Pali commentaries.
JeffR

Meaning of "crores" in Buddhavamsa

Post by JeffR »

What is the meaning of 'crore' as used in the Buddhavamsa?

In reading the Buddhavamsa I'm coming across the term "crores" quite a bit. The context is of crores becoming converted; participating in a ceremony; gathering in congregation, etc. I tried to look it up online and the definitions I came across is that it is a large number in the Indian number system. This doesn't fit with the contextual usage in the Buddavamsa.
Therein what are 'six (types of) disrespect'? One dwells without respect, without deference for the Teacher; one dwells without respect, without deference for the Teaching; one dwells without respect, without deference for the Order; one dwells without respect, without deference for the precepts; one dwells without respect, without deference for heedfulness; one dwells without respect, without deference for hospitality. These are six (types of) disrespect.
:Vibh 945
Kim OHara

Re: Meaning of "crores" in Buddhavamsa

Post by Kim OHara »

It is indeed "a large number in the Indian number system" - 10 000 000 in fact, and neither I nor (more reliably :tongue: ) wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crore know any other meaning. Every time I've come across it in Buddhist texts, mentally translating it as "millions" or "billions" works for me. "Countless" would be a reasonable translation in most contexts, too.

:namaste:
Kim
JeffR

Re: Meaning of "crores" in Buddhavamsa

Post by JeffR »

Thanks Kim. Yes, the context in which I was reading it seemed like it should be something akin to 'householders', 'anagami', 'tradesmen', etc. or the like. Now coming across it, after looking up the meaning, it does make sense in the context of a very large number. Most of the time in the Buddhavamsa it is already preceded by a large number, e.g. eighty thousand crores. So we've got some large numbers converting and in attendance with the past Buddhas.
Therein what are 'six (types of) disrespect'? One dwells without respect, without deference for the Teacher; one dwells without respect, without deference for the Teaching; one dwells without respect, without deference for the Order; one dwells without respect, without deference for the precepts; one dwells without respect, without deference for heedfulness; one dwells without respect, without deference for hospitality. These are six (types of) disrespect.
:Vibh 945