Where in the Vinaya are bhikkhus forbidden from touching/playing musical instruments

Exploring the Dhamma, as understood from the perspective of the ancient Pali commentaries.
DNS
Site Admin

Re: Where in the Vinaya are bhikkhus forbidden from touching/playing musical instruments

Post by DNS »

mikenz66 wrote:What secretary?
That reminds me of when I received a promotion to a higher position in the federal prison system (U.S.) and I asked my boss who my secretary is and he said "what secretary; do you have a mirror?" :tongue: He explained that secretaries are a dying position, that it is easier to just type up your own letters, reports, etc on your computer. And I thought about it and it made sense with the advent of computers (this was around 1990) that it would just waste time to dictate into a machine, get the reports back and then send them back to the secretary for any changes, etc; that for better or worse computers made secretaries pretty much an outdated occupation.

Monks and abbots however might still need a lay steward for filtering out spam, handling donations, etc.
_anicca_

Re: Where in the Vinaya are bhikkhus forbidden from touching/playing musical instruments

Post by _anicca_ »

Perhaps Bhikkhu Bodhi was not playing the piano, but he was practicing charity.
"A virtuous monk, Kotthita my friend, should attend in an appropriate way to the five clinging-aggregates as inconstant, stressful, a disease, a cancer, an arrow, painful, an affliction, alien, a dissolution, an emptiness, not-self."

:buddha1:

http://vipassanameditation.asia