PTS Tipitaka in Thailand

Exploring the Dhamma, as understood from the perspective of the ancient Pali commentaries.
Ṭhānuttamo

PTS Tipitaka in Thailand

Post by Ṭhānuttamo »

Dear community,
does anybody happen to know of a specific monastery in Thailand which has the tipitaka in English, preferebly the PTS publications? Especially I would like being able to find (for lent): Niddesa, Pathisambhidā Magga and the Netti. Thank you so much.

In mettaa from Pattaya
A. Bhikkhu
Dhammanando

Re: PTS Tipitaka in Thailand

Post by Dhammanando »

A. Bhikkhu wrote:does anybody happen to know of a specific monastery in Thailand which has the tipitaka in English, preferebly the PTS publications?
There are several libraries in Bangkok which house the PTS translations, but I believe in all of them they are for reference only. I don't know of any which allows them to be borrowed.
  • • Wat Boworniwet, Phra Sumen Road (in both the International Section Library and Mahamakut University Library).
    • Wat Mahathat, Maharat Road (in the Mahachula University Library).
    • Siam Society, Asok Montri Road.
    • World Fellowship of Buddhists, Sukhumvit Road.
    • Dhamma Study and Support Foundation, (มูลนิธิศึกษาและเผยแพร่พระพุทธศาสนา), Soi Charoen Nakhorn, Bukkalo.
A. Bhikkhu wrote:Especially I would like being able to find (for lent): Niddesa, Pathisambhidā Magga and the Netti. Thank you so much.
Bhikkhu Bodhi's translation of the Niddesa (which is the only English translation) will be coming out at the end of September.
https://www.amazon.com/Suttanipata-Coll ... 1614294291

As for the Paṭisambhidāmagga / "Path of Discrimination" and the Nettippakaraṇa / "The Guide", there are scanned copies of these available online, albeit in violation of the PTS's copyright terms.
Yena yena hi maññanti,
tato taṃ hoti aññathā.

In whatever way they conceive it,
It turns out otherwise.
(Sn. 588)
Ṭhānuttamo

Post by Ṭhānuttamo »

There are several libraries in Bangkok which house the PTS translations, but I believe in all of them they are for reference only. I don't know of any which allows them to be borrowed.
  • • Wat Boworniwet, Phra Sumen Road (in both the International Section Library and Mahamakut University Library).
    • Wat Mahathat, Maharat Road (in the Mahachula University Library).
    • Siam Society, Asok Montri Road.
    • World Fellowship of Buddhists, Sukhumvit Road.
    • Dhamma Study and Support Foundation, (มูลนิธิศึกษาและเผยแพร่พระพุทธศาสนา), Soi Charoen Nakhorn, Bukkalo.
Thank you bhante. I think I will try to contact a monk at Wat Boworn, since I believe it might lent under less formal circumstances as one might expect the universities and the like would do. The copies around in the net are no option for me though due to their status ...

May you be blessed. :anjali:
A. Bhikkhu
ToVincent

Post by ToVincent »

Reminder:
Fair Use Doctrine:
------------------
The Fair Use Doctrine is an exception to the copyright protection rules that allows people to use someone else's copyrighted work without permission for specific purposes. Under this exception, you may use someone else's work without permission for criticism and comment, new reporting, teaching, scholarship and research. If your use does not fall under any of these exceptions, then you must seek permission before using the work.
In this world, there are many people acting and yearning for the Mara's world; some for the Brahma's world; and very few for the Unborn.
Ṭhānuttamo

Post by Ṭhānuttamo »

ToVincent wrote:Reminder:
Fair Use Doctrine:
------------------
The Fair Use Doctrine is an exception to the copyright protection rules that allows people to use someone else's copyrighted work without permission for specific purposes. Under this exception, you may use someone else's work without permission for criticism and comment, new reporting, teaching, scholarship and research. If your use does not fall under any of these exceptions, then you must seek permission before using the work.
Thank you, yes, I personally totally agree! That is the reason I am searching for the actual books (not copies) from the PTS ...

Mettā