Canonical references about dark phases on the path (dark night, depression, etc)

Exploring the Dhamma, as understood from the perspective of the ancient Pali commentaries.
binocular

Re: Canonical references about dark phases on the path (dark night, depression, etc)

Post by binocular »

Caodemarte wrote:Possibly, but I and many others often do things wrongly! You could say that all or most suffering is self-caused by failure to understand or practice correctly. We all or almost all screw up. We all or almost all will suffer as a result.
Sure. But to call the feeling down that one feels as a result of such mistakes or inadequacy "the dark night of the soul" or "hard times" and such seems to me like an emotional overreaction, or a sign that something else, much more sinister is going on.

Also, to expect that while attempting to practice the path, one will experience such dark times that might place one in a mental institution -- that is a sign of bad faith.
The Dhamma is supposed to be good in the beginning, good in the middle, and good in the end. And if what one is doing isn't like that, then it isn't the Dhamma.
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
binocular

Re: Canonical references about dark phases on the path (dark night, depression, etc)

Post by binocular »

Pseudobabble wrote:I have been angry at myself for progressing too slowly, silly as that is.
But that anger was never debilitating, was it?
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
Pseudobabble

Post by Pseudobabble »

binocular wrote: But that anger was never debilitating, was it?
It certainly hindered my practice and made me upset.
"Does Master Gotama have any position at all?"

"A 'position,' Vaccha, is something that a Tathagata has done away with. What a Tathagata sees is this: 'Such is form, such its origination, such its disappearance; such is feeling, such its origination, such its disappearance; such is perception...such are fabrications...such is consciousness, such its origination, such its disappearance.'" - Aggi-Vacchagotta Sutta

'Dust thou art, and unto dust thou shalt return.' - Genesis 3:19

'Some fart freely, some try to hide and silence it. Which one is correct?' - Saegnapha