Spiritual Obstacles

Exploring the Dhamma, as understood from the perspective of the ancient Pali commentaries.
binocular

Re: Spiritual Obstacles

Post by binocular »

User1249x wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:39 am i am most remorseful just thinking about all the possible transgressions.
Just apologizing on the internet does not seem to help really.
Perhaps the actual problem is that one has assumed too much familiarity with Buddhism, being too homely about it. An instance od the Dunning-Krüger Effect that seems to readily happen to those who approach Buddhism via books, as opposed to via service to monks.
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
User1249x

Post by User1249x »

binocular wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:45 am Perhaps the actual problem is that one has assumed too much familiarity with Buddhism, being too homely about it.
I couldn't agree more. One becomes too homely. I have at times forgotten that The Dhamma is a lot bigger than me and i am an infant in the dispensation.

As for the service to monks counter book learning i think these approaches both are poor alternatives for practice unless one happens to run into amazing monks. I would suggest supporting one's meditation practice with service to monks, dhammatalks and book learning.
Piti Sutta: Rapturetranslated from the Pali byThanissaro Bhikkhu© 2000Then Anathapindika the householder, surrounded by about 500 lay followers, went to the Blessed One and, on arrival, having bowed down to him, sat to one side. As he was sitting there the Blessed One said to him, "Householder, you have provided the community of monks with robes, alms food, lodgings, & medicinal requisites for the sick, but you shouldn't rest content with the thought, 'We have provided the community of monks with robes, alms food, lodgings, & medicinal requisites for the sick.' So you should train yourself, 'Let's periodically enter & remain in seclusion & rapture.' That's how you should train yourself."
This is off-topic but i have witnessed monks complain about lay people offering too much food but seemingly not teaching the laity that meditation is a lot more beneficial.
binocular

Post by binocular »

User1249x wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:52 am
binocular wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:45 am Perhaps the actual problem is that one has assumed too much familiarity with Buddhism, being too homely about it.
I couldn't agree more. One becomes too homely. I have at times forgotten that The Dhamma is a lot bigger than me and i am an infant in the dispensation.

As for the service to monks counter book learning i think these approaches both are poor alternatives for practice unless one happens to run into amazing monks. I would suggest supporting one's meditation practice with service to monks, dhammatalks and book learning.
My point is: How is one going to learn noble culture, cultivate noble culture in oneself, unless one actually interacts with those who are more advanced in the development of noble culture?

There are things one can learn by oneself, from books, recorded Dhamma talks, and one's own (attempts at) practice. But there are things that these types of practices can't provide. There's a reason why it is said that admirable friendship is the whole of the holy life.
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
User1249x

Post by User1249x »

binocular wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:33 pm
User1249x wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:52 am

My point is: How is one going to learn noble culture, cultivate noble culture in oneself, unless one actually interacts with those who are more advanced in the development of noble culture?

There are things one can learn by oneself, from books, recorded Dhamma talks, and one's own (attempts at) practice. But there are things that these types of practices can't provide. There's a reason why it is said that admirable friendship is the whole of the holy life.
I do agree i just want to emphasise not neglecting meditation. It is not by socializing that one develops the path but he who associates with right people is expected to develope the path. That is how i understand it. It is not like all monks are enlightened after 5 years.