Sutta Nipata Commentary

Exploring the Dhamma, as understood from the perspective of the ancient Pali commentaries.
Vakkali

Sutta Nipata Commentary

Post by Vakkali »

Hey all,

Any good English translations of the Sutta Nipata atthakatha? Can't seem to find it. I think the BPS only publishes the Pali.
Dhammanando

Re: Sutta Nipata Commentary

Post by Dhammanando »

Vakkali wrote:Any good English translations of the Sutta Nipata atthakatha? Can't seem to find it. I think the BPS only publishes the Pali.
There isn't any published translation of the Suttanipāta Atthakathā.

However, the Khuddakapāṭha shares three suttas with the Suttanipāta (the Maṅgalasutta, Ratanasutta and Karaṇīyamettasutta) and the commentary to this has been translated in Ñāṇamoli's Minor Readings and Illustrator.
Yena yena hi maññanti,
tato taṃ hoti aññathā.

In whatever way they conceive it,
It turns out otherwise.
(Sn. 588)
mraser61

Post by mraser61 »

If you are still looking for an English translation of the Sutta Nipata, I am using two:
1) K.R. Norman, The Rhinorceros Horn and Other Early Buddhist Poems Pali Text Society, 1984
2) H. Saddhatissa, Sutta-Sipata Curzon Press 1985

Both are very good.
Hope this is helpful

Melinda Raser
cobwith

Post by cobwith »

Vakkali wrote:Hey all,

Any good English translations of the Sutta Nipata atthakatha? Can't seem to find it. I think the BPS only publishes the Pali.
Thanissaro
Sister Upalavanna
Pannobhasa Bhikkhu
Max Fausböll
Last edited by cobwith on Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sā me dhammamadesesi,
khandhāyatanadhātuyo
Thig 5.8
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Those are translation of the Chapter of the Octets (Aṭṭhaka) not the Commentary (Aṭṭhakathā).

See below for a link to the Suttanipāta Commentary in LibreOffice Open Document format.
Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala on Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
cobwith

Post by cobwith »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:Those are translation of the Chapter of the Octets (Aṭṭhaka) not the Commentary (Aṭṭhakathā).
:oops: The problem is that I never read a commentary in my life. Sorry about that.
Nobody is perfect - That is why people call me nobody.

Hope the different translations of the Chapter of the Octets (Aṭṭhaka) will be of some use to those who like to compare different versions with the Pali original.
Sā me dhammamadesesi,
khandhāyatanadhātuyo
Thig 5.8
Jones

Post by Jones »

Hi Dhamma friends,
At one of Venerable Bhikkhu Bodhi's talks he said he is working on a translation of the Mahaniddesa (Sutta nipata commentary), if I remember correctly Bhante spoke of it on a talk from the dharma seed website, in a discussion on the Samyutta Nikaya with Shaila Catherine, which is a very good talk also.

With sincere metta
Jones
Jones

Post by Jones »

http://dharmaseed.org/teacher/33/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

May all beings be happy!
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Hi Jones,

Yes, I recall that being a very interesting discussion. I hadn't picked up that Bhikkhu Bodhi was talking about translating the commentary, I had thought he was talking about translating the suttas. I'll have to listen again...

:anjali:
Mike
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Translation of the Suttanipāta Commentary by the Burma Piṭaka Association.

The Translator wrote a Preface, but is not named.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
bodom

Post by bodom »

mikenz66 wrote:Hi Jones,

Yes, I recall that being a very interesting discussion. I hadn't picked up that Bhikkhu Bodhi was talking about translating the commentary, I had thought he was talking about translating the suttas. I'll have to listen again...

:anjali:
Mike
Hi Mike

Just came across this article from Wisdom Pubs:
Bhikkhu Bodhi then tells us how he came to found Buddhist Global Relief, a nonprofit organization that focuses on addressing global hunger. He also shares what he’s working on now: a translation of the Sutta Nipata, which includes advice for both lay life and monastic life.
:namaste:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
pulga

Post by pulga »

Does anyone know whether Venerable Bodhi has translated the whole of Paramatthajotikā II in his forthcoming book?
"Dhammā=Ideas. This is the clue to much of the Buddha's teaching." ~ Ven. Ñanavira, Commonplace Book
Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando »

pulga wrote:Does anyone know whether Venerable Bodhi has translated the whole of Paramatthajotikā II in his forthcoming book?
The publisher's blurb doesn't make it clear. It states that the volume contains "numerous excerpts" from the Niddesa, but it doesn't state whether the Paramatthajotikā has been excerpted or rendered in full.
Yena yena hi maññanti,
tato taṃ hoti aññathā.

In whatever way they conceive it,
It turns out otherwise.
(Sn. 588)
pulga

Post by pulga »

Dhammanando wrote: The publisher's blurb doesn't make it clear. It states that the volume contains "numerous excerpts" from the Niddesa, but it doesn't state whether the Paramatthajotikā has been excerpted or rendered in full.
Thank you, Bhante. Given the sheer number of pages in the book I imagine it must contain an extensive amount of commentarial material. I've already pre-ordered my copy and look forward to benefiting from Ven. Bodhi's achievement.
"Dhammā=Ideas. This is the clue to much of the Buddha's teaching." ~ Ven. Ñanavira, Commonplace Book