Chocolate is an exception to the No-eating-after-noon rule?

Exploring the Dhamma, as understood from the perspective of the ancient Pali commentaries.
lyndon taylor

Re: Chocolate is an exception to the No-eating-after-noon ru

Post by lyndon taylor »

What about diabetics that have to eat small meals all day long. The monks at my temple definitely told me there were exemptions to eating after 12pm for people that are sick enough, maybe not in the Forest tradition but in the regular Therevada traditions.
18 years ago I made one of the most important decisions of my life and entered a local Cambodian Buddhist Temple as a temple boy and, for only 3 weeks, an actual Therevada Buddhist monk. I am not a scholar, great meditator, or authority on Buddhism, but Buddhism is something I love from the Bottom of my heart. It has taught me sobriety, morality, peace, and very importantly that my suffering is optional, and doesn't have to run my life. I hope to give back what little I can to the Buddhist community, sincerely former monk John

http://trickleupeconomictheory.blogspot.com/
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

Cittasanto wrote:
Mkoll wrote:
Ben wrote:As to the palatability of dark chocolate - I am a fan of this super-intense dark chocolate:
http://www.lindt.com.au/noswf/eng/produ ... -90-cocoa/
That has sugar in it which makes it delicious - even a small amount of sugar makes a big difference. I'm talking about chocolate without any sugar at all which makes it not very palatable.
As sugar is allowable why is it so important?
I was responding to Ben about the palatability of dark chocolate.
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
Ben

Post by Ben »

Mkoll wrote:
Ben wrote:As to the palatability of dark chocolate - I am a fan of this super-intense dark chocolate:
http://www.lindt.com.au/noswf/eng/produ ... -90-cocoa/
That has sugar in it which makes it delicious - even a small amount of sugar makes a big difference. I'm talking about chocolate without any sugar at all which makes it not very palatable.
Ok, no problem.
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando »

lyndon taylor wrote:The monks at my temple definitely told me there were exemptions to eating after 12pm for people that are sick enough
But was that their precise wording?

I know it's very common for Asian Theravadin monks to say, "It's okay for a monk to eat food in the evening if he's seriously ill," but in saying this they don't mean to imply that there is any Vinaya exemption to this effect, for there simply isn't one. What they mean by "okay" is that breaking the rule in these circumstances is deemed socially acceptable by most of the laity, and so the monks who do it won't be scandalizing anyone by their conduct.
Yena yena hi maññanti,
tato taṃ hoti aññathā.

In whatever way they conceive it,
It turns out otherwise.
(Sn. 588)
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:
Cittasanto wrote:If I remember correctly a bhikkhu can eat after noon if starving, i.e. they are malnurished.... am I correct there?
But to your earlier post as a lay person observing the eight precepts what are your thoughts on eating almost any sweeties/candy as they are (or at least should be) used as a boost not as a meal. Or would you recommend more stringent observance?
If a bhikkhu is famished due to illness, then he can eat the five tonics (seven-day medicines). I don't know of any allowance to eat substantial food at the wrong time.
Although I still have it in my head that it is still there, I think it may stem from somewhere like Ajahn Dhammanando's comment and I am simply just remembering it wrong. Thank-you.

Kind Regards
Cittasanto
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
lyndon taylor

Post by lyndon taylor »

Just be forewarned that a strict Forest monk style observance of the vinaya for all monks and all illnesses could even lead to death in some cases.....

For instance I am diabetic, and I am only a mild diabetic that can get by with oral meds and no insulin, however there is no way any diabetic is going to be healthy and live a long life eating only one meal a day and supplementing 7 tonics which are largely sugar and fat, these vinaya rules were written down something like 1600 years ago by people that didn't have a clue about modern medicine and health like we do today, and we're supposed to follow them religiously(if ordained) hogwash, it makes about as much sense as applying 1200 year old sharia law in the modern world IMHO.
18 years ago I made one of the most important decisions of my life and entered a local Cambodian Buddhist Temple as a temple boy and, for only 3 weeks, an actual Therevada Buddhist monk. I am not a scholar, great meditator, or authority on Buddhism, but Buddhism is something I love from the Bottom of my heart. It has taught me sobriety, morality, peace, and very importantly that my suffering is optional, and doesn't have to run my life. I hope to give back what little I can to the Buddhist community, sincerely former monk John

SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Hi Lyndon
I see your point and I have my sympathy for you.
It is important to see how these rules link to the final goal.
We can't expect an asthma patient to practice breath meditation.
He has to look for other meditation objects.
:thinking:
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
lyndon taylor

Post by lyndon taylor »

Well some of our posters take ancient scripture so literally that you might almost say the Islamic equivalent would be ISIS, which is actually a movement based around the idea of living Islam exactly as it was intended to be lived 1200 years ago, sometimes you need to apply a little common sense when interpreting scripture, and there is an expression "rules are made to be broken"!!

Mr Man

Post by Mr Man »

lyndon taylor wrote:Well some of our posters take ancient scripture so literally that you might almost say the Islamic equivalent would be ISIS, which is actually a movement based around the idea of living Islam exactly as it was intended to be lived 1200 years ago, sometimes you need to apply a little common sense when interpreting scripture, and there is an expression "rules are made to be broken"!!
A totally ridiculous comment.
lyndon taylor

Post by lyndon taylor »

Fundamentalism is an issue in every religion, In Christianity its the Literal 6 day creation, every word in the Bible is the inspired word of God type, In Islam its the fundamentalist right wing of which al Quaeda and ISIS are a part, In Buddhism its..... i"ll let you fill in the blank, Its all based on the idea that hundreds or thousands of years old scripture is perfect in every way and equally applicable to today's world as when it was written etc. I'm not Implying that Fundamentalist Buddhism shares anywhere near the danger present in fundamentalist Islam, just pointing out that there is a right wing and a left wing to every religion.

mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Hi Lyndon,

I've known Bhikkhus who eat after noon on medical advice. Perhaps there are some bhikkhus or bhikkhunis out there somewhere who would apply the letter of the vinaya over medical advice, but that's speculation.

:anjali:
Mike
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

Mr Man wrote:
lyndon taylor wrote:Well some of our posters take ancient scripture so literally that you might almost say the Islamic equivalent would be ISIS, which is actually a movement based around the idea of living Islam exactly as it was intended to be lived 1200 years ago, sometimes you need to apply a little common sense when interpreting scripture, and there is an expression "rules are made to be broken"!!
A totally ridiculous comment.
Yup.
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

When I first went on retreat to a Thai Forest monastery I was worried about the lack of an evening meal and took a secret stash of chocolate. :embarassed:

As it turned out they provided us with cheese and chocolate at tea time. I think it was dark chocolate.
Buddha save me from new-agers!