Arahant for the welfare and happiness of devas and humans?

Exploring the Dhamma, as understood from the perspective of the ancient Pali commentaries.
Sati1

Arahant for the welfare and happiness of devas and humans?

Post by Sati1 »

Hello,

I am wondering why it is considered that when someone attains enlightenment he benefits the whole world, as stated in Iti 35-13:

"Next, bhikkhus, there is [...] an arahant. [...] He teaches Dhamma that is good at the outset, good in the middle, and good at the end, with its correct meaning and wording, and he proclaims the holy life in its fulfilment and complete purity. This, bhikkhus, is the second person appearing in the world who appears for the welfare of many people, for the happiness of many people, out of compassion for the world, for the good, welfare, and happiness of devas and humans". (the first person is the Tathagata).

This might be a very basic question, but how does an arahant who lives alone and secluded in the wilderness "appear for the welfare of many people, for the happiness of many people"? I understand that an arahant is also very kind and noble, but the above quote seems to suggest that the degree to which he benefits the world is much more than just through kindness to others. I once heard from a monk that when one purifies himself, one also purifies the whole universe, and that by doing so one benefits everyone else, but I fail to find a reference for such a statement. Does Buddha ever explain why an arahant benefits devas and humans?

Many thanks,
Sati1

----
"I do not perceive even one other thing, o monks, that when developed and cultivated entails such great happiness as the mind" (AN 1.30, transl. Ven. Bhikkhu Bodhi)
"So this spiritual life, monks, does not have gain, honor, and renown for its benefit, or the attainment of moral discipline for its benefit, or the attainment of concentration for its benefit, or knowledge and vision for its benefit. But it is this unshakable liberation of mind that is the goal of this spiritual life, its heartwood, and its end," (MN 29, transl. Ven Bhikkhu Bodhi)
Nicolas

Re: Arahant for the welfare and happiness of devas and human

Post by Nicolas »

"He teaches Dhamma that is good at the outset, good in the middle, and good at the end, with its correct meaning and wording, and he proclaims the holy life in its fulfillment and complete purity."

Insofar as an arahant teaches, he is not alone. I would think that teaching the Dhamma is what brings welfare and happiness to many people.
Sati1

Post by Sati1 »

Dear Nicolas,

Many thanks for your reply. I agree that by teaching an arahant does a lot of service to others. I was just wondering if the mere act of "being an arahant" is already beneficial to the world, whether or not one teaches.

With metta,
Sati1

----
"I do not perceive even one other thing, o monks, that when developed and cultivated entails such great happiness as the mind" (AN 1.30, transl. Ven. Bhikkhu Bodhi)
"So this spiritual life, monks, does not have gain, honor, and renown for its benefit, or the attainment of moral discipline for its benefit, or the attainment of concentration for its benefit, or knowledge and vision for its benefit. But it is this unshakable liberation of mind that is the goal of this spiritual life, its heartwood, and its end," (MN 29, transl. Ven Bhikkhu Bodhi)
santa100

Post by santa100 »

Sati1 wrote:I was just wondering if the mere act of "being an arahant" is already beneficial to the world, whether or not one teaches.
It certainly is. The metta and perfect mindfulness in every act, speech, and thought of the arahant alone already benefit many sentient beings from the unseen devas and spirits to the tiny insects around him. An example is the many tree deites benefiting from listening to the Metta sutta recited by the monks in the forest in Sn 1.8 (see translator's Introduction).
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

I think Paseka Buddhas can't teach others.
However it is pleasant to live among them.
They lead life by setting examples to others.
:thinking:
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando »

Sati1 wrote:but how does an arahant who lives alone and secluded in the wilderness "appear for the welfare of many people, for the happiness of many people"?
By virtue of the fact that he's an incomparable field of merit for the world, and in the practice of dāna the degree of merit is determined in part by the nature of the recipient. And so a withdrawn and eremitical arahant may benefit the manyfolk simply by accepting their offerings, thereby enabling them to accumulate more merit than would be possible with any —or almost any— other kind of recipient.
Yena yena hi maññanti,
tato taṃ hoti aññathā.

In whatever way they conceive it,
It turns out otherwise.
(Sn. 588)