Householders and renunciants

Exploring the Dhamma, as understood from the perspective of the ancient Pali commentaries.
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Householders and renunciants

Post by Sam Vara »

Could someone please remind me which sutta contrasts the joys and griefs of the householder's life, with those of the renunciate life? I can't find it on ATI so I think I might have the terms wrong, but that was the gist of it...
Mkoll

Re: Householders and renunciants

Post by Mkoll »

Maybe you're looking for MN 137?
"'The thirty-six states to which beings are attached should be known': thus was it said. And in reference to what was it said? Six kinds of household joy & six kinds of renunciation joy; six kinds of household distress & six kinds of renunciation distress; six kinds of household equanimity & six kinds of renunciation equanimity.
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
robertk

Post by robertk »

MN 100 Sangarava Sutta - To Sangarava
“Here, Bharadvaja, before my enlightenment, while I was still only an unenlightened Bodhisatta, I
considered thus: ‘Household life is crowded and dusty; life gone forth is wide open. It is not easy
while living in a home to lead the holy life utterly perfect and pure as a polished shell. Suppose I
shave off my hair and beard, put on the yellow robe, and go forth from the home life into
homelessness.’
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

Mkoll wrote:Maybe you're looking for MN 137?
"'The thirty-six states to which beings are attached should be known': thus was it said. And in reference to what was it said? Six kinds of household joy & six kinds of renunciation joy; six kinds of household distress & six kinds of renunciation distress; six kinds of household equanimity & six kinds of renunciation equanimity.
Yes, that's the one! Many thanks, Mkoll!

And thank you, robertk also.