Page 1 of 2

Do you mind criticizing 'my' Tipitaka map?

Posted: Fri May 02, 2014 11:53 am
by nekete
I've been working on this for a few weeks. I can't do it better. I'm not happy wiht the Vinaya Pitaka section, I have seen various forms of subdivision and can't know which one is better or the correct.

I have also notice that in the Majjhima Nikaya there is a vagga, the third, that according to someone is called Patiya and according to some others is called Opamma. Why?

Thanks for your opinion.

https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1u_6 ... 191&h=1672

Re: Do you mind criticizing 'my' Tipitaka map?

Posted: Fri May 02, 2014 12:52 pm
by TheNoBSBuddhist
I have absolutely no idea; the whole thing looks like double-dutch to me, that's how ignorant I am.

But I would add that your effort is remarkable, and you should be very proud of your work and diligence.
I salute your devotion, and thank you for doing this.

maybe this addled brain can begin some kind of educated absorption of such matters now.

Well done you. :clap:

:sage:

:namaste:

Re: Do you mind criticizing 'my' Tipitaka map?

Posted: Fri May 02, 2014 2:46 pm
by Viscid
Looks very nice. You have a good eye for design.

Re: Do you mind criticizing 'my' Tipitaka map?

Posted: Fri May 02, 2014 3:49 pm
by TheNoBSBuddhist
nekete wrote:I
I have also notice that in the Majjhima Nikaya there is a vagga, the third, that according to someone is called Patiya and according to some others is called Opamma. Why?

Thanks for your opinion.
Just as a highly un-educated aside, I tried to do some research, and came across this:

http://www.wisdomlib.org/definition/opa ... index.html

However, much as I have looked, I personally can find no reference to 'Patyia' anywhere, other than it being a location in Bangladesh....!

Re: Do you mind criticizing 'my' Tipitaka map?

Posted: Fri May 02, 2014 4:13 pm
by nekete
Sorry. jeje. Tatiya, Tatiya Vagga. :mrgreen:


http://tipitaka.wikia.com/wiki/Majjhima_Nikaya
TheNoBSBuddhist wrote:
nekete wrote:I
I have also notice that in the Majjhima Nikaya there is a vagga, the third, that according to someone is called Patiya and according to some others is called Opamma. Why?

Thanks for your opinion.
Just as a highly un-educated aside, I tried to do some research, and came across this:

http://www.wisdomlib.org/definition/opa ... index.html

However, much as I have looked, I personally can find no reference to 'Patyia' anywhere, other than it being a location in Bangladesh....!

Re: Do you mind criticizing 'my' Tipitaka map?

Posted: Fri May 02, 2014 4:29 pm
by nekete
Ok. Let's have some fun. I've got a book right now on the table from the Pali Text Society called The Majjhima-Nikaya, Vol IV, Index of Words.

I'll take later a photograph of this but in the index of this index book, the third vagga of the first book called Mulapannasa is called 'Vagga Patiya''.

????

See you later. Thanks for your comments.

Re: Do you mind criticizing 'my' Tipitaka map?

Posted: Fri May 02, 2014 5:53 pm
by TheNoBSBuddhist
Could it still be referring to the location, possibly where the Council took place?

Remember India was not divided into regions as it is now.

Mere hypothesis my friend, but I believe some discourses are named after locations or inhabitants....

Re: Do you mind criticizing 'my' Tipitaka map?

Posted: Fri May 02, 2014 6:35 pm
by nekete
TheNoBSBuddhist wrote:(...)
Mere hypothesis my friend, but I believe some discourses are named after locations or inhabitants....
Yes. You are right. But it makes not sense if each person name a sutta or vagga or book or whatever as they want.

Re: Do you mind criticizing 'my' Tipitaka map?

Posted: Thu May 15, 2014 5:40 pm
by bharadwaja
Tatiya vagga simply means 'third' vagga - it is not a name.

Re: Do you mind criticizing 'my' Tipitaka map?

Posted: Thu May 15, 2014 6:24 pm
by waterchan
The Patimokkha is a very important text of the Vinaya Pitaka, so maybe it should be mentioned? It is part of the Sutta Vibhanga.

I would also explicitly mention the individual samyuttas under each vagga of the Samyutta Nikaya. After all, the thematic classification of suttas is the distinguishing characteristic of the Samyutta Nikaya.

Re: Do you mind criticizing 'my' Tipitaka map?

Posted: Fri May 16, 2014 11:38 am
by MidGe
Dear nekete,

There may be a problem with your map. You seem to be attempting to mix up Nikāyas and Piṭakas. These are two unrelated way of classifying the Buddha's teachings. The Nikāyas are not a subdivision of the Piṭakas. For instance, the Abhidhamma belongs to the Khuddaka Nikāya and as far as Piṭaka it is the Abhidhamma Piṭaka, and the Mahāvibhaṅga belongs to the Khuddaka Nikāya also, but as far as Piṭaka is concerned it belongs to the Vinaya Piṭaka. There are many other similar oddities if you are combining the two distinct views.

I hope this help you get things straight.

Wih metta

Re: Do you mind criticizing 'my' Tipitaka map?

Posted: Fri May 16, 2014 11:58 am
by waterchan
MidGe wrote:The Nikāyas are not a subdivision of the Piṭakas.
But the Sutta Pitaka is divided into Nikayas...
MidGe wrote: ...For instance, the Abhidhamma belongs to the Khuddaka Nikāya...
Huh? I have never heard of this. Sounds like you are talking about an alternate or archaic classification system.

Re: Do you mind criticizing 'my' Tipitaka map?

Posted: Fri May 16, 2014 2:23 pm
by MidGe
Hello waterchan,
Sounds like you are talking about an alternate or archaic classification system.
Umm, that maybe the case. If it is so, simply ignore my post. I learned this distinction from the late Venerable Sayadaw U Sīlānanda from Myanmar. It may be a specifically Burmese way of looking at classifications. It simply made sense for me as well as it got rid of some inconsistencies.

Thanks for pointing out alternatives, not that will make the OP task any easier! :)

With metta

Re: Do you mind criticizing 'my' Tipitaka map?

Posted: Thu May 29, 2014 3:21 pm
by Ananda26
nekete wrote:I've been working on this for a few weeks. I can't do it better. I'm not happy wiht the Vinaya Pitaka section, I have seen various forms of subdivision and can't know which one is better or the correct.

I have also notice that in the Majjhima Nikaya there is a vagga, the third, that according to someone is called Patiya and according to some others is called Opamma. Why?

Thanks for your opinion.

https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1u_6 ... 191&h=1672
In Majjhima Nikaya the third chapter is referred to as Opamma Vagga, Similes Chapter, because the Chapter has a number of Similes.

In Digha Nikaya the third chapter is referred to as Patika Vagga. The name is taken from the first sutta in the Chapter called Patika Vagga.

Here is a link to Tipitaka.org which has sections in Pali language on Suttas and Vinaya.

http://tipitaka.org/romn/

Re: Do you mind criticizing 'my' Tipitaka map?

Posted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:05 am
by nekete
Hello friends... :)

Finally, the final version, the poster version.

https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1UGY ... 669&h=3969

Let me know whether you like it or not.