Buddha not a Prince?

Exploring the Dhamma, as understood from the perspective of the ancient Pali commentaries.
James the Giant

Re: Buddha not a Prince?

Post by James the Giant »

pegembara wrote:I always thought this phrase is suggestive that the Buddha's father was not a king?
"I thought: 'I recall once, when my father the Sakyan was working, .

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html
I seem to remember back in those times the king or whoever was the leader of the city, had to plough the first field, or the first furrow, as part of the start-of-ploughing-season ceremony.
I think that's what Sid's dad was doing. Not actual farm work.
Then,
saturated with joy,
you will put an end to suffering and stress.
SN 9.11
Eightfolder

Re: Buddha not a Prince?

Post by Eightfolder »

I like the story about the fortune teller who told Siddartha's father that he was meant to be a leader or a prophet. Of course we all know how the story ended. Not unlike the young Sigmund Freud whose mother took the baby to meet the friends and neighbors in their Jewish ghetto and an old peasant women with a gleam in her eye said something to the effect (paraphrased) ' he is going to be a great man' and ...well some wouldn't call him great but he certainly became very famous!

Funny how those early childhood messages (with adults encouraging the message) turn into self fulifilling prophecy. I don't think things were so different back in Sid's day. All that stuff under the bodhi tree at the age of 35 or so was just the fruition of a long and productive search. Very similar to what occurs in the process of self-analysis and/or primal or regression therapy. Many of us probably agree Buddha didn't really sit there having flashbacks of previous lives.....rather flashbacks of early childhood.

Its a great story!

:clap: