help me distinguish these 3 Anāgavataṃsas

Exploring the Dhamma, as understood from the perspective of the ancient Pali commentaries.
l_rivers

help me distinguish these 3 Anāgavataṃsas

Post by l_rivers »

Can you help me distinguish these 2 akin but different Anāgavataṃsas

Anāgavataṃsa (The Chronicle of the Future Buddha), from: SAYA U CHIT TIN, WKH, THE COMING BUDDHA ARI METTEYYA RESEARCH PAPERS, WKH, 1988, The Sayagyi U Ba Khin Memorial Trust, U.K.
located at:https://mywebspace.wisc.edu/jrblack/web ... /wh381.pdf
and
Anāgatavaṃsa,Translation and explanatory material by Edward Conze, in Conze et al., Buddhist Texts through the Ages (Oxford: Bruno Cassirer (Publishers) Ltd., 1954).
located at:http://www.saddharmapundarika.com/?p=26

and
Anagatavamsa Desana: The Sermon of the Chronicle-to-Be (Buddhist Tradition Series) by Udaya Prasanta Maddegama and John Clifford Holt (Jan 15, 1993)

Thank you!

Leo
:buddha2:
gavesako

Re: help me distinguish these 3 Anāgavataṃsas

Post by gavesako »

They seem to be simply different translations from the same text (which is not quoted in full by Conze).
Bhikkhu Gavesako
Kiṃkusalagavesī anuttaraṃ santivarapadaṃ pariyesamāno... (MN 26)

Access to Insight - Theravada texts
Ancient Buddhist Texts - Translations and history of Pali texts
Dhammatalks.org - Sutta translations
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

gavesako wrote:They seem to be simply different translations from the same text (which is not quoted in full by Conze).
Actually, it is I.B. Horner's translation in Conze's anthology, BUDDHIST TEXTS THROUGFHTHE AGES.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
l_rivers

Post by l_rivers »

They seem to be simply different translations from the same text (which is not quoted in full by Conze).
Ah... In my reading there seems to be many recentions of each text as they move along the Silk Route, each oasis shrinking or expanding different parts.

I didn't think of the fact a western presentaion would just give you a sampling. Thanks