Dictionary of Pali Proper Names

Exploring the Dhamma, as understood from the perspective of the ancient Pali commentaries.
Bhikkhu Pesala

Re: Dictionary of Pali Proper Names

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

More or less complete now after uploading the U Index page and entries beginning with U, the V Index page and entries beginning with V, and the Y Index page and entries beginning with V.

Later, I will add some of the remaining missing suttas from the Saṃyuttanikāya. Let me know about broken links.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Thanks Bhante, that's a really useful resource.

:anjali:
Mike
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

I have made some minor updates since I last posted, but nothing major.

I am posting here again because my free web-hosting is currently unavailable.

If you want to access the Dictionary of Pali Proper Names, just go to my Main Website Mirror and follow the link in the navigation bar to the DPPN.

As always, please let me know if you spot any typos or broken links. There are 3,966 pages on this site, so there are sure to be some errors. If you tell me about them, it is usually a simple task to fix them.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
Chula

Post by Chula »

Thanks Bhante for this resource.

Just wondering, how are these two different?
http://www.palikanon.com/english/pali_n ... /a1_ad.htm
http://www.aimwell.org/DPPN/a.html

I'm looking for a resource with names and places in the Pali canon, both these seem to have more than I'm looking for - wanted to check the difference between the two.
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

See the Home Page of my site for explanation of the editing that I have done. Sutta names are more inline with the CSCD Tipitaka, which is available online. Malalasekara's original was based on the Sinhala Pali text, so some names of suttas are different. My edition also has more cross-links.
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

I have added a pair of icons to the Home Page of my site from which the entire site can be downloaded for browsing offline.

The self-extracting 7-Zip Archive is less than half the size (5Mbytes), but there's also a Zip version (on the right) if you prefer that (13 Mbytes).

A few minor corrections have been made too.
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

The DPPN site was last updated on 2nd July 2017, although some pages might have been updated since then.

Please Note: My free web-host now imposes a daily sleep time, which I have set to start from 13:00 GMT.

Bookmark the Mirror Site, which is less likely to go offline.