Do we create akusala or kusala cittas in sleep?

A forum for members who wish to develop a deeper understanding of the Pali Canon and associated Commentaries, which for discussion purposes are both treated as authoritative.
canadianbuddhist

Do we create akusala or kusala cittas in sleep?

Post by canadianbuddhist »

Do we create kusala or akusala cittas when we are in sleep? Is dreaming intentional? Do not be quick to respond to this with a book like what Santa does.

SarathW

Re: Do we create akusala or kusala cittas in sleep?

Post by SarathW »

I would say yes.
Two understand you should know the difference between Kusala and Papa.
ie:
"Sabba papassa Akaranam, Kusalassa upasamapda"
Papa generally means breaking the five precepts by words or deeds.
Akusala means the breaking precepts by thoughts.
So in your dreams you may have bad thoughts since they are akusala.
The same way a newly born child also may create Akusala but not Papa.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”

santa100

Post by santa100 »

canadianbuddhist wrote:Do not be quick to respond to this with a book like what Santa does.
Until you've developed a strong grasp of Pali, some common sense, and sound logical reasoning, I'd suggest you to hold off on the idea of "trying to think on your own". Otherwise you'd just keep coming up with absurd ideas like equating Vippayutta with Moha!

canadianbuddhist

Post by canadianbuddhist »

What you suggest is utter absurd Santa. I am telling you again, not to just base your reading only on one book. just open up. Dhamma is an experience and not a book. You have become completely a jerk now.

santa100

Post by santa100 »

canadianbuddhist wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:29 pm
What you suggest is utter absurd Santa. I am telling you again, not to just base your reading only on one book. just open up. Dhamma is an experience and not a book. You have become completely a jerk now.
And you have become a complete idiot while espousing the wrong view to rely solely on your ignorant self without some mastery of the teaching and its language. And the proof is right there for everyone to see. You're confused even with the most basic terms. It's like a baby without a full set of teeth throwing away his soft baby food and try to eat and digest hard adult food. Now I'm no "adult" here, but at least I'm smart enough to recognize and admit that I myself still haven't "developed my full set of teeth", hence I shouldn't trash all the books and their sutta references! By the way, just so you know, the CMOA is not one single book by itself, see that long list of books being referenced Ven. Bodhi mentioned in its intro.

robertk

Post by robertk »

canadianbuddhist wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:29 pm
Please note classical Theravada guidelines.

Posts should, where appropriate, include support from a reference or a citation (Tipitaka, commentarial, or from a later work from an author representative of the Classical point-of-view).

Posts that contain personal opinions and conjecture, points of view arrived at from meditative experiences, conversations with devas, blind faith in the supreme veracity of one's own teacher's point of view etc. are all regarded as off-topic, and as such, will be subject to moderator review and/or removal.