What does "'burning up' its own support" mean?

A forum for members who wish to develop a deeper understanding of the Pali Canon and associated Commentaries, which for discussion purposes are both treated as authoritative.
Mkoll

What does "'burning up' its own support" mean?

Post by Mkoll »

What does Spk-pt mean here? The sutta is SN 14.7.
Clipboard01.jpg
Last edited by Mkoll on Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa

Mkoll

Re: What does "'burning up' its own support" mean?

Post by Mkoll »

Clipboard02.jpg

char101

Post by char101 »

If cessation is cooling down in that it prevents future desire to arise, lust and aversion is burning up in that it conditions future lust and aversion to arise.

Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

Thanks for your response.

But let me clarify: I'm interested in the technical/canonical explanation of what this means. Perhaps Venerable @Dhammanando may know?

Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando »

Mkoll wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:30 am
But let me clarify: I'm interested in the technical/canonical explanation of what this means. Perhaps Venerable @Dhammanando may know?
I'm not really sure.

If sannissayaḍāharasā is translated as "burning up its own support", as Bhikkhu Bodhi does, then I've no idea what it could mean. That is, I don't know what it could be that both supports rāga and gets burned up by rāga.

My own inclination would be to translate sannissaya according to the way it's used in the Niddesa, the only canonical text where the term appears. In that case it would be "one's own support". That would be in line with all those suttas where it's oneself that is burned up by one's lust.
“Keep to your own pastures, bhikkhus, walk in the haunts where your fathers roamed.
If ye thus walk in them, Māra will find no lodgement, Māra will find no foothold.”
— Cakkavattisīhanāda Sutta

auto

Post by auto »

what about,
http://dictionary.sutta.org/browse/v/vatthu wrote:vatthuBuddhist Dictionary by NYANATILOKA MAHATHERA
vatthu:as a general term for the 5 sense-organs (cakkhu-vatthu ,etc) is frequent in the Com.and often used together with ārammaṇa (object).This usage,however,is already indicated in the Abh.Canon:' Cakkhuṃ p'etaṃ... vatthuṃ p'etaṃ ' (Dhs.§ 597; Vibh.p.71,PTS):' cakkhuviññāṇassa vatthu ' (Dhs.§§ 679ff.).
https://suttacentral.net/an3.34/en/sujato wrote: When an ignorant person actsLobhajaṃ dosajañceva,
out of greed, hate, or delusion,mohajañcāpaviddasu;
any deeds they have performedYaṃ tena pakataṃ kammaṃ,
—whether a little or a lot—appaṃ vā yadi vā bahuṃ;
are to be experienced right here,Idheva taṃ vedaniyaṃ,
not in any other place.vatthu aññaṃ na vijjati.
deeds out of greed.. done by ignorant person will burn(experienced) in the eye-vatthu(ground)

Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

Dhammanando wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:31 pm
Mkoll wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:30 am
I'm not really sure.

If sannissayaḍāharasā is translated as "burning up its own support", as Bhikkhu Bodhi does, then I've no idea what it could mean. That is, I don't know what it could be that both supports rāga and gets burned up by rāga.

My own inclination would be to translate sannissaya according to the way it's used in the Niddesa, the only canonical text where the term appears. In that case it would be "one's own support". That would be in line with all those suttas where it's oneself that is burned up by one's lust.
Thanks Bhante. I think that makes more sense as well.