Discussion of Abhidhamma and related Commentaries
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Re: Kathavatthu

Post by Sam Vara »

Coëmgenu wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:14 pm
auto wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:07 pm
icyteru wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:36 am you can read it in my blog. :anjali:
your link is hijacked its full of ads having asian female underwear. It can happen if you sign in to somewhere, then the personal information can be sold and the next owner have some other things in mind like hosting a mailorder bride service.
If such is the case it is prudent that the moderators remove this old link, I will notify them.
Done.
Coëmgenu

Post by Coëmgenu »

Sam Vara wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:41 pm
Coëmgenu wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:14 pm
auto wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:07 pm

your link is hijacked its full of ads having asian female underwear. It can happen if you sign in to somewhere, then the personal information can be sold and the next owner have some other things in mind like hosting a mailorder bride service.
If such is the case it is prudent that the moderators remove this old link, I will notify them.
Done.
Ha! The other moderator, whom I will call past-future, would never have responded to one of my moderation requests.
What is the Uncreated?
Sublime & free, what is that obscured Eternity?
It is the Undying, the Bright, the Isle.
It is an Ocean, a Secret: Reality.
Both life and oblivion, it is Nirvāṇa.
Ontheway

Post by Ontheway »

Can free download it here:

Kathāvatthu, PTS translation:
Points of Controversy or Subjects of Discourse:
(Book 5 of the Abhidhamma-piṭaka)
Translated by Shwe Zan Aung and Mrs. Rhys Davids, Pali Text Society
PDF in new layout, searchable, and with links:
www.abhidhamma.com/Kathavatthu_en.pdf

This is the Commentary for Kathavathu, it is called "Kathavathuppakarana Atthakatha".
https://thienvipassana.net/wp-content/u ... entary.pdf

I find it very interesting and certainly educational. If anyone interested to know how Theravada is different from other Buddhist schools and what orthodox view is, Kathāvatthu is a must.

:anjali: :buddha2:
Hiriottappasampannā,
sukkadhammasamāhitā;
Santo sappurisā loke,
devadhammāti vuccare.

https://suttacentral.net/ja6/en/chalmer ... ight=false
simsapa

Post by simsapa »

I find it very interesting and certainly educational. If anyone interested to know how Theravada is different from other Buddhist schools and what orthodox view is, Kathāvatthu is a must.
What specifically did you find useful about this text? I'll be using a print version if I read it again.
Ontheway

Post by Ontheway »

simsapa wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 9:33 pm
What specifically did you find useful about this text? I'll be using a print version if I read it again.
So you read it before? The last sentence indicated that you read it before. I think PDF version is better, it has Searchable function.

Imo, the benefits of reading it for me:
1) Understand the teachings and main standpoint of each Early Buddhism schools, after breaking off from original stock of Orthodox Sangha.

2) Understand the teachings of orthodox Sangha group, which later gave a term to be used as description: Vibhajjavada or "The Doctrine of Analysis" (now we call it Theravada) and how it different from other schools.

3) Investigate the argument by Puggalavada and Theravada's refutation for "Puggala" or "Soul" as a reality. Knowing how from sheer literal reading of Suttas without wise consideration might give rise to misinterpretation.

4) Able to investigate arguments on some interesting topics such as "Is Arahant not perfect yet?", "Is there an Antarabhava stage?", "Is there a possibility for Arahant to ejaculate?", "The Devas are capable for further development or not?", "There are six realms of existence or not?", etc. These topics are quite fundamental where comes to learn Buddhism in details.
Hiriottappasampannā,
sukkadhammasamāhitā;
Santo sappurisā loke,
devadhammāti vuccare.

https://suttacentral.net/ja6/en/chalmer ... ight=false
simsapa

Post by simsapa »

Yes, I've read some of the PTS print edition at my local temple. I could not understand what it was trying to convey. A fully annotated version with historical context would be a great resource for me.
Eko Care

Post by Eko Care »

Ontheway wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 5:57 am 3) Investigate the argument by Puggalavada and Theravada's refutation for "Puggala" or "Soul" as a reality. Knowing how from sheer literal reading of Suttas without wise consideration might give rise to misinterpretation.
:candle:
It may be the foremost point, since the the first and largest section of the book has been reserved for it.