Information about Abhidhamma

Discussion of Abhidhamma and related Commentaries

Moderator: Mahavihara moderator

TRobinson465

Re: Information about Abhidhamma

Post by TRobinson465 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:40 am

robertk wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:19 am
Scholars, however, generally date the Abhidhamma works to originating some time around the third century BCE, 100 to 200 years after the death of the Buddha. . The earliest texts of the Pali Canon have no mention of (the texts of) the Abhidhamma Pitaka.[13]\
And these scholars are thought to be more reliable than the ancient monks. They dig a deep hole and their disciples are all too willing to jump in it.

So...These scholars seem unaware that various classifications exist . It is true that mostly Abhidhamma is classified as Pitaka, but also it is classified under Khuddhaka, and also under Veyyakarana
The Attahasalini (expositor) p. 32:

"Which is the Khuddaka Nikaya? The whole of the Vinaya-pitaka, Abhidhamma pitaka and the fifteen divisions excluding the four nikayas" p35 "thus as rehearsed at the [first]council the Abhidhamma is a Pitaka by Pitaka classification, khuddaka -nikaya by Nikaya clasification, veyyakarana by part-classification and constitues two or three thousand units of text by classification of textual units"

It is certainly mentioned in other sections of the Tipitaka.
Majjhima Nikaya
Mahagosingha sutta
"
the talk of two Bhikkhus on the Abhidhamma, each asking and answering the other without faltering is in accord with the Dhamma"

Vinaya pitaka
"If without any intention of reviling the Vinaya one were to instigate another saying -'pray study the suttas or gathas or Abhidhamma first and afterwards learn the vinaya' there is no offense"
So according to Wiki scholars a hundred or two hundred years after the Buddha the sangha got together and decided that there needs to be more than a Dvipitaka. How did it work?

"Hey fellows, I don't like having only 2 pitakas, let's have a Tipitika, we should add in an extra Pitaka"
"We can pretend it was recited at the first council"

"But venerable sir, already there has been schisms, how would we get other sects to agree to add this?"
"oh no problem, send a messenger and tell them they can make up their own Abhidhamma. As long as they at least agree to say that it was recited at the first council"
"you are wise, venerable sir"

A dissenting voice: "but sir , slandering the Buddha is a serious offense"

"The Buddha is long gone, we can do and say as we wish. There are only tens of thousands of Theravada bhikkhus and Bhikkhunis - including thousands of arahats - at this time in India. It should be easy to get their consent to slipping in this extra Pitaka"
"I just hope a few thousand years from now scholars don't pick up on our little game".
Good point. Seems like a lot of work to add an entire section for no apparent reason.
"Do not have blind faith, but also no blind criticism" - the 14th Dalai Lama

"At Varanasi, in the Deer Park at Isipatana, the Blessed One has set in motion the unexcelled Wheel of Dhamma that cannot be stopped by brahmins, devas, Maras, Brahmas or anyone in the cosmos." -Dhammacakkappavattana Sutta

"Go forth, monks, for the good of the many, for the happiness of the many, out of compassion for the world, for the welfare, the good and the happiness of gods and men. Let no two of you go in the same direction." - First Khandhaka, Chapter 11, Vinaya.

justindesilva

Post by justindesilva » Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:09 am

EternalHindu wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:08 am
Hii,
What is Exactly Abhidhamma?
Abhidharma or Abhidhamma are ancient Buddhist texts which contain detailed analytic reworkings of doctrinal material appearing in the Buddhist sutras, according to schematic classifications.
I am flortunate a book " Guide througe the abidamma pitaka " Written by Nyanathilika thero who lived at Galduwa Aranya ( Galle Sri lanka). It explains details from abidamma pitaka. ( 1st edition in1938).
If one can find this book , it could be quite useful.

robertk

Post by robertk » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:03 am

justindesilva wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:09 am
[

I am flortunate a book " Guide througe the abidamma pitaka " Written by Nyanathilika thero who lived at Galduwa Aranya ( Galle Sri lanka). It explains details from abidamma pitaka. ( 1st edition in1938).
great book.

Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:05 am

justindesilva wrote:
It's available online and certainly would be a good way to get one's bearings regarding the contents of the Abhidhamma Piṭaka.

https://archive.org/details/in.ernet.dli.2015.210336

justindesilva

Post by justindesilva » Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:28 am

justindesilva wrote:
EternalHindu wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:08 am
Hii,
What is Exactly Abhidhamma?
Abhidharma or Abhidhamma are ancient Buddhist texts which contain detailed analytic reworkings of doctrinal material appearing in the Buddhist sutras, according to schematic classifications.
I am fortunate to have a book " Guide througe the abidamma pitaka " Written by Nyanathilika thero who lived at Galduwa Aranya ( Galle Sri lanka). It explains details from abidamma pitaka. ( 1st edition in1938).
please note that in writing the name of the author of the book , it should be corrected as " NYANATILOKA" and I have written Nyanathilika.
My apologies for this mistake please.