The arising of the four paths endures for only one mind-moment

Discussion of Abhidhamma and related Commentaries
Coëmgenu

The arising of the four paths endures for only one mind-moment

Post by Coëmgenu »

"The arising of the four paths endures for only one mind-moment."

What does the title of this thread mean? This belief in Abhidhamma is more often criticized than praised on Buddhist internet forums. I would like provide a counterbalance to that, ideally with this thread. I would like to see an Abhidhammika's insider-perspective on these two questions, more specifically:

1) "why" does the arising of the four paths endure for only one mind-moment, as in, how is this explained to occur?

and 2) what does this mean for practitioners?

and, if you will forgive me to be greedy for information, where can I find relevant sections of the Abhidhammatthasaṇgaha, or another text you would advise, that deal with this?

Thank you for your time :anjali: .
What is the Uncreated?
Sublime & free, what is that obscured Eternity?
It is the Undying, the Bright, the Isle.
It is an Ocean, a Secret: Reality.
Both life and oblivion, it is Nirvāṇa.
SarathW

Re: The arising of the four paths endures for only one mind-moment

Post by SarathW »

Each of these four supramundane stages involves two phases. One is the "path" (magga) that eradicates the fetters, the other is the "fruit" (phala), moments of supramundane consciousness that result from the path, made possible by the path's work of eradication. The fruit is the enjoyment made available by the work of the path. The fruit can be entered and enjoyed many times after the appropriate path has been reached. The noble disciple determines to enter the fruit, then develops insight until he does so. The highest fruit is the fruit of arahantship. The arahant knows with certainty that his mind is devoid of defilements. He has penetrated the Four Noble Truths. He becomes neither despondent nor elated through contact with the eight worldly conditions — gain and loss, honor and dishonor, happiness and misery, praise and blame. He is free from sorrow, stainless, and safe. "Free from sorrow" because he no more weeps and laments; "stainless" because he has no more defilements; "safe" because there is no more birth for him.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... el322.html
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
theY

Post by theY »

Vipassanā (insight meditation) is magga (path), too. Because magga-bhāvanā (medittion/development) is sīla,samādhi, and bhāvanā. So, magga is not just one moment.

But one mind moment is ariya's comments about their enlightened moment. You can see in ādittapariyāya sutta, too.
"He grows disenchanted with the intellect, disenchanted with ideas, disenchanted with consciousness at the intellect, disenchanted with contact at the intellect. And whatever there is that arises in dependence on contact at the intellect, experienced as pleasure, pain or neither-pleasure-nor-pain: He grows disenchanted with that too. Disenchanted, he becomes dispassionate (virajjati[=no rāga=notaṇhā]/magga). Through dispassion, he is fully released (=vimutti[ta-suffix=past verb]/phala). With full release, there is the knowledge, 'Fully released ' (vimuttamīti ñāṇam hoti/paccavekkhṇañāṇaṃ). He discerns that 'Birth is ended, the holy life fulfilled, the task done. There is nothing further for this world.'"
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html
Practitioner practices lokiya-magga, maybe long as whole life period, without any break to be an expert, ariya. So after his lokiya-magga-practiced complete perfectly, enlightened lokuttara-magga, he will become to be ariya (professor of destroyed kilesa). And after lokuttara-magga-enlightenment, he must content ariya-skill in every moment of him, because he practiced perfectly completely. every thinking of him must has perfect sīla, perfect samādhi, and perfect paññā. However, we can destroy kilesa just one time per enlighten step (4 ariya). So magga can arise to destroy kilesa just one time per path. After that no that destroyed-kilesa anymore. So magga have not arise anymore, too, because of nothing to do--no destroyed-kilesa to destroy, after each path enlightenment. Therefore, there is just one mind-moment of each magga, each path, while enlightening.[/quote]

So, in sangaha wrote: https://ballwarapol.github.io/sangaha/c ... tm?#10-215
Screenshot from 2017-09-07 22-11-27.png
Screenshot from 2017-09-07 22-11-27.png (41.97 KiB) Viewed 5619 times
For the other references, (however I think that sutta that I quoted above is clear because all references wrote follow to above sutta):

~950th buddhist era:
See 2 last chapters of visuddhimagga, especially sotāpannapuggalakathā in purification by Knowledge and Vision:
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... on2011.pdf

~230th buddhist era:
parihānikatha in kathavatthu-abhidhamma, because if kilesa of arahanta can arise again, so his magga can arise again, too, to destroy that rebirth kilesa.

Many references appear in commentary, too. But above reference is the most perfect.
Last edited by theY on Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:34 am, edited 4 times in total.
Above message maybe out of date. Latest update will be in massage's link.
--------------------------------------------------
Tipitaka memorization is a rule of monks. It isn't just a choice. They must done it.
bahussuto nāma tividho hoti – nissayamuccanako, parisupaṭṭhāpako, bhikkhunovādakoti.
http://UnmixedTheravada.blogspot.com/20 ... monks.html
Saengnapha

Post by Saengnapha »

Coëmgenu wrote:"The arising of the four paths endures for only one mind-moment."

What does the title of this thread mean? This belief in Abhidhamma is more often criticized than praised on Buddhist internet forums. I would like provide a counterbalance to that, ideally with this thread. I would like to see an Abhidhammika's insider-perspective on these two questions, more specifically:

1) "why" does the arising of the four paths endure for only one mind-moment, as in, how is this explained to occur?

and 2) what does this mean for practitioners?

and, if you will forgive me to be greedy for information, where can I find relevant sections of the Abhidhammatthasaṇgaha, or another text you would advise, that deal with this?

Thank you for your time :anjali: .
Can you quote the passage in the Abhidhamma where this is stated, please?
Can you also quote a criticism that has been leveled at this statement?

I would like to see the context of both so I can further understand what the criticisms are all about.

Thanks.......
theY

Post by theY »

I have more understanding in the question, so I re-edit to add more reference again. In the past, I thought the question owner asked for abhidhammatthasaṇgaha's page. I am sorry.
Tipitaka memorization is a rule of monks. It isn't just a choice. They must done it.
bahussuto nāma tividho hoti – nissayamuccanako, parisupaṭṭhāpako, bhikkhunovādakoti.
Saengnapha

Post by Saengnapha »

theY wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:12 pm Vipassanā (insight meditation) is magga (path), too. Because magga-bhāvanā (medittion/development) is sīla,samādhi, and bhāvanā. So, magga is not just one moment.

But one mind moment is ariya's comments about their enlightened moment. You can see in ādittapariyāya sutta, too.
"He grows disenchanted with the intellect, disenchanted with ideas, disenchanted with consciousness at the intellect, disenchanted with contact at the intellect. And whatever there is that arises in dependence on contact at the intellect, experienced as pleasure, pain or neither-pleasure-nor-pain: He grows disenchanted with that too. Disenchanted, he becomes dispassionate (virajjati[=no rāga=notaṇhā]/magga). Through dispassion, he is fully released (=vimutti[ta-suffix=past verb]/phala). With full release, there is the knowledge, 'Fully released ' (vimuttamīti ñāṇam hoti/paccavekkhṇañāṇaṃ). He discerns that 'Birth is ended, the holy life fulfilled, the task done. There is nothing further for this world.'"
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html
Practitioner practices lokiya-magga without any break to be an expert. So after his magga complete perfectly, practitioner, who become to be ariya (professor), must content ariya-skill in every moment of him. every thinking of him must has perfect sīla, perfect samādhi, and perfect paññā. However, we can destroy kilesa just one time per enlighten step (4 ariya). So magga can arise to destroy kilesa just one time per path. After that no that kilesa anymore. So magga have not arise anymore, too, because of nothing to do--no kilesa to destroy.
This sutta is one of the most important explanations for path and fruit that I've seen. Very concise. Disenchantment, dispassion=Release. Thank you for bringing this to my attention.
justindesilva

Post by justindesilva »

In meditation we go through the janas along with mind moments and in stages. We go through vitakka .Vihara.piti. Sukha as we develop. I had found a good explanation in the web
The- wanderling.com
Please read it.
Zom

Post by Zom »

This sutta is one of the most important explanations for path and fruit that I've seen. Very concise. Disenchantment, dispassion=Release. Thank you for bringing this to my attention.
If you want sutta (that is - valid) explanation for Paths and Fruits, you should read this (SN 48.18):

“Bhikkhus, there are these five faculties. What five? The faculty of faith … the faculty of wisdom. These are the five faculties.
“One who has completed and fulfilled these five faculties is an arahant. If they are weaker than that, one is practising for the realization of the fruit of arahantship; if still weaker, one is a nonreturner; if still weaker, one is practising for the realization of the fruit of nonreturning; if still weaker, one is a once-returner; if still weaker, one is practising for the realization of the fruit of oncereturning; if still weaker, one is a stream-enterer; if still weaker, one is practising for the realization of the fruit of stream-entry.

And this one too (MN 142):

One gives a gift to the Tath›gata, accomplished and fully enlightened; this is the first kind of personal offering. One gives a gift to a paccekabuddha; this is the second kind of personal offering. One gives a gift to an arahant disciple of the Tath›gata; this is the third kind of personal offering. One gives a gift to one who has entered upon the way to the realisation of the fruit of arahantship; this is the fourth kind of personal offering. One
gives a gift to a non-returner; this is the fifth kind of personal offering. One gives a gift to one who has entered upon the way to the realisation of the fruit of non-return; this is the sixth kind of personal offering. One gives a gift to a once-returner; this is the seventh kind of personal offering. One gives a gift to one who has entered upon the way to the realisation of the fruit of once-return; this is the eighth kind of personal offering. One
gives a gift to a stream-enterer; this is the ninth kind of personal offering. One gives a gift to one who has entered upon the way to the realisation of the fruit of stream-entry.

:reading:
robertk

Post by robertk »

In the Atthasalini - The expositor PTS (translator : maung tin).
P58. Triplets in the Matika
"

The Discourse on LOKUTTARA (transcendental).

"He cultivates the Jhana means that he evolves, produces the ecstatic jhana of one momentary flash of consciousness. because it goes forth from the world, from the round of rebirths, this is jhana called going out...This is not like that which is known as 'leading to accumulation' which heaps up and increases rebirths by the moral(kusala) consciousness of the three planes [includes kusala such as giving as well as all levels of "mundane" jhana]"
Saengnapha

Post by Saengnapha »

Zom wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:59 pm
If you want sutta (that is - valid) explanation for Paths and Fruits, you should read this (SN 48.18):

“Bhikkhus, there are these five faculties. What five? The faculty of faith … the faculty of wisdom. These are the five faculties.
“One who has completed and fulfilled these five faculties is an arahant. If they are weaker than that, one is practising for the realization of the fruit of arahantship; if still weaker, one is a nonreturner; if still weaker, one is practising for the realization of the fruit of nonreturning; if still weaker, one is a once-returner; if still weaker, one is practising for the realization of the fruit of oncereturning; if still weaker, one is a stream-enterer; if still weaker, one is practising for the realization of the fruit of stream-entry.

And this one too (MN 142):

One gives a gift to the Tath›gata, accomplished and fully enlightened; this is the first kind of personal offering. One gives a gift to a paccekabuddha; this is the second kind of personal offering. One gives a gift to an arahant disciple of the Tath›gata; this is the third kind of personal offering. One gives a gift to one who has entered upon the way to the realisation of the fruit of arahantship; this is the fourth kind of personal offering. One
gives a gift to a non-returner; this is the fifth kind of personal offering. One gives a gift to one who has entered upon the way to the realisation of the fruit of non-return; this is the sixth kind of personal offering. One gives a gift to a once-returner; this is the seventh kind of personal offering. One gives a gift to one who has entered upon the way to the realisation of the fruit of once-return; this is the eighth kind of personal offering. One
gives a gift to a stream-enterer; this is the ninth kind of personal offering. One gives a gift to one who has entered upon the way to the realisation of the fruit of stream-entry.

:reading:
Too abstract for me, sir.
Zom

Post by Zom »

Abstract? These texts show that Path and Fruit are not some "momentary states", but long periods of spiritual training .) This is why "one who gained a path" is one person, while "one who gained a fruit" is another one. And this is why Buddha says about "4 pairs" and "8 individuals" when speaking about ariya-sangha.
Saengnapha

Post by Saengnapha »

Zom wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:34 pm Abstract? These texts show that Path and Fruit are not some "momentary states", but long periods of spiritual training .) This is why "one who gained a path" is one person, while "one who gained a fruit" is another one. And this is why Buddha says about "4 pairs" and "8 individuals" when speaking about ariya-sangha.
I have a hard time following texts like this. I see the importance of ethical behavior united with wisdom insight but some of the Buddhist dialectic is not how I think about all this. The sutta I linked to speaks the language of my experience clearly. Disenchantment and dispassion are both fruit and path to me.

Maybe you can help me out here. I still don't understand the thread title. Where does this appear and what does it mean?
Zom

Post by Zom »

Maybe you can help me out here. I still don't understand the thread title. Where does this appear and what does it mean?
The "paths" in Dhamma (even in abhidhammic one) mean these 4 paths: to stream-entry, to once-returning, to non-returning, and to arahantship. Fruits mean 4 corresponding spiritual results: gaining of stream-entry, etc.
Saengnapha

Post by Saengnapha »

Zom wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:53 pm
The "paths" in Dhamma (even in abhidhammic one) mean these 4 paths: to stream-entry, to once-returning, to non-returning, and to arahantship. Fruits mean 4 corresponding spiritual results: gaining of stream-entry, etc.
And, 'endures for only one mind-moment'?
theY

Post by theY »

Zom wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:59 pm If you want sutta (that is - valid) explanation for Paths and Fruits, you should read this (SN 48.18):
While we talking about the end of meditation and the end of sutta, you showing us the meditating and the middle of sutta.

The question asking about magga-vithī, but you showing us vipassanā-vithī, why? Because you never recite and memorize tipitaka-pāli.

Read this carefuly:
Vipassanā (insight meditation) is magga (path), too. Because magga-bhāvanā (medittion/development) is sīla,samādhi, and bhāvanā. So, magga is not just one moment.

Practitioner practices lokiya-magga, maybe long as whole life period, without any break to be an expert, ariya. So after his lokiya-magga-practiced complete perfectly, enlightened lokuttara-magga, practitioner, he can become to be ariya (professor of destroyed kilesa). After lokuttara-magga-enlightenment, he must content ariya-skill in every moment of him, because he practiced perfectly completely. every thinking of him must has perfect sīla, perfect samādhi, and perfect paññā. However, we can destroy kilesa just one time per enlighten step (4 ariya). So magga can arise to destroy kilesa just one time per path. After that no that destroyed-kilesa anymore. So magga have not arise anymore, too, because of nothing to do--no destroyed-kilesa to destroy, after each path enlightenment. Therefore, there is just one mind-moment of each magga, each path, while enlightening.