Wholesome and Unwholesome Resultants

Discussion of Abhidhamma and related Commentaries
DCM

Wholesome and Unwholesome Resultants

Post by DCM »

Hi, any help clearing this up would be appreciated. I get that these Cittas are Kammically indeterminate in themselves, and are the results produced by previous Kamma. So what exactly is Wholesome or Unwholesome about these Cittas?

I will make a guess that the Eye Consciousness of a Wholesome Resultant Citta could be seeing beautiful objects.

Wouldn't we experience an unpleasant feeling with an Unwholesome Resultant Citta? If not then what is Unwholesome about it? Some examples may help clear this up If possible. Thankyou.

Darren
SarathW

Re: Wholesome and Unwholesome Resultants

Post by SarathW »

Some info is available in Page 40 - 43 in the following link.

https://download.pariyatti.org/free/_mo ... prehensive
Last edited by SarathW on Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
DCM

Post by DCM »

Thankyou Sarah, this is what I am studying right now. Okay, so these Resultants Citta of previous Kamma arise when a disagreeable object comes into view, or the right conditions come about.

So what makes an object disagreeable, or where does this disagreeable object come from in the Kammic loop? Im new to then Abhiddama and I'm struggling to see what tie the object has to the Resultant Citta.
theY

Post by theY »

Abihdhamma is object of vipassanā. So if you want to understand abhidhamma, you must connect it to vipassana-object such as paṭiccasamuppāda (causes and effects).

Kamma is saṇkāra-paticcasamuppāda. Effect of kamma is (paṭisandhi) viññāṇa=born=Resultants Citta&Cetasika&Rūpa.

If you born in rūpabhramma-bhava, you are never taking any disagreeable object. But If you born in niraya, you are never taking any agreeable object. Kamma make destiny of born. Born make destiny of resultants-nāmarupa, resultants-6 āyatana, resultants-phassa, resultants-vedanā.

Born is a big chance. I was born in a buddhist country, so it is so easy for me to know about buddha's teaching.

My english is terrible.
Above message maybe out of date. Latest update will be in massage's link.
--------------------------------------------------
Tipitaka memorization is a rule of monks. It isn't just a choice. They must done it.
bahussuto nāma tividho hoti – nissayamuccanako, parisupaṭṭhāpako, bhikkhunovādakoti.
http://UnmixedTheravada.blogspot.com/20 ... monks.html
Ripser

Post by Ripser »

I would say that they are labeled "wholesome" or "unwholesome" to recognize whether they are the result of past wholesome or unwholesome actions (kamma).

But, as you say, in themselves they are indeterminate, as these cittas are disconnected from the roots (greed, hatred, delusion) that are the cause of the process of kammic fruition.