Classifications of dhammá

Discussion of Abhidhamma and related Commentaries
Coëmgenu

Classifications of dhammá

Post by Coëmgenu »

Are the various types and classifications of dhammá (phenomena) in the Abhidhamma supposed to be indicative of ultimate or conventional reality, or both, or neither? That is to say, is the Abhidhamma truly believed to be written from an infallible perspective that is perfectly in-line with ultimate reality devoid-of-delusion?
What is the Uncreated?
Sublime & free, what is that obscured Eternity?
It is the Undying, the Bright, the Isle.
It is an Ocean, a Secret: Reality.
Both life and oblivion, it is Nirvāṇa.
Idappaccayata

Re: Classifications of dhammá

Post by Idappaccayata »

I am by no means qualified to give a reliable answer, but from what I understand it's a map of conventional reality. Albeit a very detailed one. Couldn't it be said that all of the Buddha's teachings are convention? Convention that leads to the unconventional.
A dying man can only rely upon his wisdom, if he developed it. Wisdom is not dependent upon any phenomenon originated upon six senses. It is developed on the basis of the discernment of the same. That’s why when one’s senses start to wither and die, the knowledge of their nature remains unaffected. When there is no wisdom, there will be despair, in the face of death.

- Ajahn Nyanamoli Thero
robertk

Post by robertk »

Abhidhamma is the Buddha"s words, so yes it is infallible.
Caodemarte

Post by Caodemarte »

robertk wrote:Abhidhamma is the Buddha"s words, so yes it is infallible.
My understanding is that Abhidhamma consists of 3rd century BCE and later Buddhist texts with detailed scholastic reworkings, commentary, classifications, and explanations of material appearing in the suttas. Is there any claim in the Abhidhamma that it is infallible? Is there any claim in the suttas by Buddha that his word is infallible because he spoke them? I would think the Kalama sutta alone would imply the opposite, but I have been wrong before.