Classifications of dhammá

Discussion of Abhidhamma and related Commentaries

Moderator: Mahavihara moderator

Coëmgenu

Classifications of dhammá

Post by Coëmgenu » Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:29 am

Are the various types and classifications of dhammá (phenomena) in the Abhidhamma supposed to be indicative of ultimate or conventional reality, or both, or neither? That is to say, is the Abhidhamma truly believed to be written from an infallible perspective that is perfectly in-line with ultimate reality devoid-of-delusion?
世尊在靈山會上拈華示眾眾皆默然唯迦葉破顏微笑世尊云
The Lord dwelt at the Vulture Peak with the assembly and plucked a flower as a teaching. The myriad totality were silent, save for Kāśyapa, whose face cracked in a faint smile. The Lord spoke.
吾有正法眼藏涅槃妙心實相無相微妙法門不立文字教外別傳付囑摩訶迦葉。
I have the treasure of the true dharma eye, I have nirvāṇa as wondrous citta, I know signless dharmatā, the subtle dharma-gate, which is not standing on written word, which is external to scriptures, which is a special dispensation, which is entrusted to Mahākāśyapa.

नस्वातोनापिपरतोनद्वाभ्यांनाप्यहेतुतः

Idappaccayata

Re: Classifications of dhammá

Post by Idappaccayata » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:48 pm

I am by no means qualified to give a reliable answer, but from what I understand it's a map of conventional reality. Albeit a very detailed one. Couldn't it be said that all of the Buddha's teachings are convention? Convention that leads to the unconventional.
The furniture may be exquisite,
And the bars of solid gold,
But once the bird realizes that the cage is a cage,
It finds within that cage
No joy

- Ajahn Jayasaro

robertk

Post by robertk » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:30 pm

Abhidhamma is the Buddha"s words, so yes it is infallible.

Caodemarte

Post by Caodemarte » Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:21 pm

robertk wrote:Abhidhamma is the Buddha"s words, so yes it is infallible.
My understanding is that Abhidhamma consists of 3rd century BCE and later Buddhist texts with detailed scholastic reworkings, commentary, classifications, and explanations of material appearing in the suttas. Is there any claim in the Abhidhamma that it is infallible? Is there any claim in the suttas by Buddha that his word is infallible because he spoke them? I would think the Kalama sutta alone would imply the opposite, but I have been wrong before.