What does it mean by radiant consciousness?

Discussion of Abhidhamma and related Commentaries
SarathW

Re: What does it mean by radiant consciousness?

Post by SarathW »

That is consistent in both the verse, "Viññāṇaṃ anidassanaṃ anantaṃ sabbato pabhaṃ.." and in the word pabhassara as I pointed out in my post.
So in your opinion "Vinnanam anidassanam" is Nibbana?
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Lal

Post by Lal »

SarathW said,
Are these Ven. Abhaya's view? Is he agree with your views?
You need to ask him that question. But I would think so, because this is compatible with what Waharaka Thero taught. I met him only briefly a couple of times in 2014/2015 when he was a not yet a bhikkhu. He gave me a set of Waharaka desanas (they were not online yet).

2. SarathW said,
So in your opinion "Vinnanam anidassanam" is Nibbana?
No. It is the other way around. I guess you did not read my post carefully. Please read the recommended posts carefully before asking further questions:
https://puredhamma.net/abhidhamma/pabha ... -bhavanga/
Bullet #11 explains "Viññāṇaṃ anidassanaṃ anantaṃ sabbato pabhaṃ.."
It could be written as “Viññāṇaṃ anidassanaṃ, anantaṃ, sabbato pabhaṃ.." to highlight the
three characteristics of vinnana stated there: “It cannot be seen, it is infinite, and it leads to the rebirth process for all”.

3.That post discusses how a pure (pabhassara) citta gets contaminated in a billionth of a second in nine stages. It is such a fast process that billions of such processes occur in the blink of an eye. This is why the Buddha said that there is nothing in this world faster than a citta (that word is used loosely to denote “a taught”, which really should be “vinnanakkhandha” as explained; this is why one needs to get the meaning of a word in the context of where it appears). Mechanically translating suttas word-by-word can lead to confusion:
https://puredhamma.net/sutta-interpreta ... roduction/

There is a lot of material condensed in that post on pabhassara citta. If one reads the other posts referenced there, one could get a really good understanding of how Nibbana is attained via getting rid of asava and anusaya.

Anyway, these vinnana lead to kamma bhava and uppatti bhava, and those uppatti bhava lead to rebirths, while kamma bhava lead to kamma vipaka during a lifetime. All these are explained in various posts at the Pure Dhamma site. Use the "Search" button to locate relevant posts.
With metta, Lal
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

So radiant consciousness is not Vinnana (“It cannot be seen, it is infinite, and it leads to the rebirth process for all”).?
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

You need to ask him that question. But I would think so, because this is compatible with what Waharaka Thero taught. I met him only briefly a couple of times in 2014/2015 when he was a not yet a bhikkhu. He gave me a set of Waharaka desanas (they were not online yet).
Please see the following video. (sinhalese language) According to him we all experience radiant consciousness in a day to day basis in a Puthujana.

https://youtu.be/Hwk-aKhm0f4?t=2164
Lal

Post by Lal »

SarathW said,
Please see the following video. (sinhalese language) According to him we all experience radiant consciousness in a day to day basis in a Puthujana.
It is a subtle point. In my post, I analyzed the situation where no abhisankhara was done, it is just a sankhara (I specifically mentioned that the case I analyzed involved only the 7 universal cetasika). In #1, I stated,
 “And during that brief time, many other cetasika (good or bad) can be incorporated into a citta. But let us consider the simpler case where no other cetasika are incorporated.
 Even such a simple citta is still contaminated or defiled at the end of that brief time. This contamination is manifested in vedana and sanna cetasika.

That is a avyakrutha (more correctly abyakatha) sankhara, that would not lead to rebirth or even bad kamma. But, even then one’s sanna and vedana are contaminated to some extent. At 36.08 mins in that video he mentions the “nama” stage. He may not have thought much about it, but even that stage is contaminated to some extent, and therefore no putthujana will ever generate a complete pabhssara citta (except at the birth moment of the citta; by the end of the citta it is contaminated). But his main point is correct, in that it does not lead to a kamma patha or an abhisankhara in the specific case he described.
I may try to send him an email and with my post on the pabhassara citta. I have not corresponded with him since 2015.

SarathW said,
Did Buddha teach not-self or non-self at all?
He said it is neither. In very simple terms, people do exist in the world, so one cannot say there is “no self”. But no person remains the same, so one cannot say there is “self”.

In the Brahmajala sutta, the Buddha explained that both views of “self” and ‘no self” are wrong and they are included in the 62 types of mica ditthi.
Then you have answers to all other questions.

With metta, Lal
theY

Post by theY »

pabhassaraṃ cittaṃ=beautiful consciousness=no unwholesome cetasika=radiant consciousness.

But in sutta context, buddha teaching about flow of citta from pabhassaraṃ cittaṃ to no pabhassaraṃ cittaṃ. So we must specify it especially to bhavaṇga.

Sutta context is definitely clear. We must just memorize pali to understand more.
Above message maybe out of date. Latest update will be in massage's link.
--------------------------------------------------
Tipitaka memorization is a rule of monks. It isn't just a choice. They must done it.
bahussuto nāma tividho hoti – nissayamuccanako, parisupaṭṭhāpako, bhikkhunovādakoti.
http://UnmixedTheravada.blogspot.com/20 ... monks.html