Abhidhamma Study:Ma~n~nanaa and Papa~nca

Discussion of Abhidhamma and related Commentaries
yawares

Abhidhamma Study:Ma~n~nanaa and Papa~nca

Post by yawares »

Dear Members,

:candle: Abhidhamma Study:Ma~n~nanaa and Papa~nca :candle:
[Presented by Dr.Tep Sastri @ SariputtaDhamma/JTN/Mult]

In the earlier message #14893 'ma~n~nanaa' was defined, according to Bhikkhu Bodhi in his translated discourse MN 1, as follows:

"The Pali word we have rendered "conceiving", ma~n~nanaa, comes from the root mean, "to think". ... Ma~n~nanaa is distortional thinking -- thinking which, under the domination of defiled predilection, imputes to its object properties or relational implications grounded not in the thing itself, but in the constructive activity of the subjective imagination".

"The cognitive distortion effected in 'ma~n~nanaa' consists essentially in the intrusion of the egocentric perspective into the domain of perceptual experience. [End quote]

Using less-sophisticated words, conceiving is the thinking that is:
1. distorted by defilements, and 2. accompanied by an egocentric, subjective imagination.
I think one may also simply say this: due to conceiving that is distorted by self views and conceit, the mind object is perceived wrongly.

--------------------------------
Now, what about papa~nca?

According to Ajaan Thanissaro Bhikkhu, "in Buddhist philosophical discourse it carries negative connotations, usually of falsification and distortion. The word itself is derived from a root that means diffuseness, spreading, proliferating.
The Pali Commentaries define papa~nca as covering three types of thought:
craving, conceit, and views. They also note that it functions to slow the mind down in its escape from samsara.".
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So, in my humble opinion, both papa~nca and ma~n~nanaa are distorted views; but the latter is narrower, since it only originates from "constructive activity of the subjective imagination".
.*************
:heart: Love Buddha's dhamma,
yawares/sirikanya :heart:
thebirdman62

Re: Abhidhamma Study:Ma~n~nanaa and Papa~nca

Post by thebirdman62 »

I understood Abhidhamma as teaching that mind is the activity of experience and ultimatley ALL is subjective.
yawares

Re: Abhidhamma Study:Ma~n~nanaa and Papa~nca

Post by yawares »

thebirdman62 wrote:I understood Abhidhamma as teaching that mind is the activity of experience and ultimatley ALL is subjective.
Dear "thebirdman62",

I think so too/Thanks for reading,
yawares