Creating Dreams

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Nori

Creating Dreams

Post by Nori » Sat Sep 24, 2011 3:11 am

It's an interesting phenomenon that, meditation practice leads to more vivid dreams. Also, I remember them after I wake up.

This morning as I woke up I was still in the middle of a dream. What I noticed is that I was the one who was speaking for another character/person who was in my dream. It was clear that, I was actively involved in the creation of what this person was doing/acting and saying.

However, what was occurring in the background, or the setting/place, while consisting of familiar places and things, did not seem like an active creation, but a mixture of places and things from my memories.

Has anyone ever heard anything about this sort of active creation (mentioned above) in dreams, and what it is all about?

DarwidHalim

Re: Creating Dreams

Post by DarwidHalim » Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:06 am

Nori wrote:It's an interesting phenomenon that, meditation practice leads to more vivid dreams. Also, I remember them after I wake up.

This morning as I woke up I was still in the middle of a dream. What I noticed is that I was the one who was speaking for another character/person who was in my dream. It was clear that, I was actively involved in the creation of what this person was doing/acting and saying.

However, what was occurring in the background, or the setting/place, while consisting of familiar places and things, did not seem like an active creation, but a mixture of places and things from my memories.

Has anyone ever heard anything about this sort of active creation (mentioned above) in dreams, and what it is all about?
Yes. What happen to you can happen.

We can also know we are dreaming. This will happen at the very high level of meditation.

There are many high practitioner, who never sleeps. Their bodies sleep, but their mind never sleeps.

The technique is also available. I try, but so far this donkey haven't success yet. :rofl:
I am not here nor there.
I am not right nor wrong.
I do not exist neither non-exist.
I am not I nor non-I.
I am not in samsara nor nirvana.
To All Buddhas, I bow down for the teaching of emptiness. Thank You!

Akuma

Post by Akuma » Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:42 am

The dreamworld changes quicker than this one. If youre lucky you can if your dream-self is turning around for example actually see how the surroundings are build up. Thats quite a funny sight.
We can also know we are dreaming. This will happen at the very high level of meditation.
Meditation is not needed for that. Its a matter of conditioning yourself. For a person who is of clear mental capacity it should be enough to regularly ask yourself if you are dreaming when lookin at a certain object. For example in dreams you cannot read books because the content will dynamically change so you could use that. After a while the conditioned object will occur in dreams and you can test in the dream if its a dream and "wake up" in the dream.

chownah

Post by chownah » Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:10 pm

I guess it's good to be able to know that you are dreaming (when asleep) but for me one of the greatest experiences I've had was remembering a dream wherein I was doing some pretty neat stuff and I stopped for a minute and thought "this is only a dream"...then I looked around and thought..."not its not...this is real"....and continured dreaming some pretty incredible stuff....
chownah