What did the Buddha have to say about The Mac vs The PC?

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
daverupa

Re: What did the Buddha have to say about The Mac vs The PC?

Post by daverupa »

Linuxyana is the only authentic practice.
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
Jhana4

Post by Jhana4 »

David N. Snyder wrote:
Jhana4 wrote:I grew up with the same misconceptions as most Americans of Buddhism being very close to a rational philosophy rather than a religion
Why does it have to be one or the other? It can be a rational philosophy and a religion. I wouldn't follow it if I thought it was an irrational philosophy.
David, I'm using the words "philosophy" and "religion" by the formal meanings where I think they do contradict. The religious concerns may be argued to be "rational" if the superstitions of that religion are assumed to be true. However, that is not the point I was making, which is that many have the mistaken impression that the Buddha knew and lectured at length about all sorts of scientific/logic/rational pursuits that he didn't even touch on in the Nikayas........and many he flat out refused to talk about.
In reading the scriptures, there are two kinds of mistakes:
One mistake is to cling to the literal text and miss the inner principles.
The second mistake is to recognize the principles but not apply them to your own mind, so that you waste time and just make them into causes of entanglement.
Jhana4

Post by Jhana4 »

morning mist wrote:Definitely get a MAC or an iPad .
Given that he chose to speak in the "language of the people" Pali, I would say if he were alive today he would shy away from heavily proprietary technology and gravitate toward open source software ( linux, png, etc )
Also , in one life he was a deva born in a deva plane and therefore a deva
There are no such things as devas or deva planes.
The second mistake is to recognize the principles but not apply them to your own mind, so that you waste time and just make them into causes of entanglement.
Jhana4

Post by Jhana4 »

I just wanted to say that I am really enjoying the humor in this thread.
morning mist

Post by morning mist »

Jhana4 wrote: There are no such things as devas or deva planes.
Do we have any evidence for that or is it impossible to prove ?
Jhana4 wrote: I would say if he were alive today he would shy away from heavily proprietary technology and gravitate toward open source software ( linux, png, etc )
I can't say I know what the Buddha would choose, but whatever you find works for you.
with metta,
Jhana4

Post by Jhana4 »

morning mist wrote:
Jhana4 wrote: There are no such things as devas or deva planes.
Do we have any evidence for that or is it impossible to prove ?

I don't want to get off topic of a thread that I meant to be and generally is lighthearted, but 2500 years of western philosophy and the scientific method have learned a few approaches toward getting to the truth more reliably. One of them is placing the burden of proof on the party making an extraordinary claim. Claims of unseen beings in unseen worlds is extraordinary.

Both of us can sit down together for ten minutes and conjure up a huge list of beings we can create from our imaginations which nobody will be able to disprove 100.0%. Yet, we will be making them up with our fantasies.

The burden of proof is on you.

No disrespect intended.
morning mist

Post by morning mist »

Jhana4 wrote: The burden of proof is on you.

I don't mean to offend you when asking for substantial evidence, but sometimes I wonder how or why. If you are uncomfortable about me asking then just ignore it. Since you are making the claim that such and such doesn't exist, I am just wondering how you arrived at that and if there is any substantial basis for it that's all. If there isn't any evidence that you can show then that's fine with me. I guess I will have to take your word for it without asking further question. So there is no deva and that's that right ?
with metta,
Jhana4

Post by Jhana4 »

morning mist wrote:
Jhana4 wrote: The burden of proof is on you.

I don't mean to offend you when asking for substantial evidence, but sometimes I wonder how or why. If you are uncomfortable about me asking then just ignore it. Since you are making the claim that such and such doesn't exist, I am just wondering how you arrived at that and if there is any substantial basis for it that's all. If there isn't any evidence that you can show then that's fine with me. I guess I will have to take your word for it without asking further question. So there is no deva and that's that right ?
Morning Mist, I'm not offended.

I think devas are imaginary beings. There isn't any evidence they exist.

Happy Tuesday.
Nori

Post by Nori »

plwk wrote:"The Mac vs The PC...

"These are the five unconjecturables that are not to be conjectured about, that would bring madness & vexation to anyone who conjectured about them."

:tongue:
:jumping: :lol: :clap:
BubbaBuddhist

Post by BubbaBuddhist »

If it goes that far back, from what I heard Eve had an Apple and Adam had a Wang. Perhaps the Buddha when he was a Prince had a Cray.

M4
Author of Redneck Buddhism: or Will You Reincarnate as Your Own Cousin?
NDat

Post by NDat »

Jhana4 wrote: So, what did the Buddha have to say choosing a Mac over a PC? :)
I think the Buddha may say "Let go all of them! Mac and PC. They all are impermanent, suffering, and not self"
nathan

Post by nathan »

"Think different."
But whoever walking, standing, sitting, or lying down overcomes thought, delighting in the stilling of thought: he's capable, a monk like this, of touching superlative self-awakening. § 110. {Iti 4.11; Iti 115}
Akuma

Post by Akuma »

I heard it was like this.

After leading a sheltered existence surrounded by luxury and pleasure in his younger years, Prince Siddhārtha ventured out of his palace for the first time at the age of 29. He set off from the palace to the city in a chariot, accompanied by his charioteer Channa (Chandaka).

On this journey he first saw a linux machine, revealing to Siddhārtha the consequences of aging. When the prince asked about this old system, Channa replied that aging was something that happened to all beings alike.

The second sight was of a windows computer. Once again, the prince was surprised at the sight, and Channa explained that all beings are subject to disease and pain due to this. This further troubled the mind of the prince.

The third sight was of an iPad. As before, Channa explained to the prince that death is an inevitable fate that befalls everyone using this. After seeing these three sights, Siddhārtha was troubled in his mind and sorrowful about the sufferings that have to be endured.

After seeing these three negative sights, Siddhārtha came upon the fourth sight; an ascetic who had devoted himself to finding the cause of human suffering. This sight gave him hope that he too might be released from the sufferings arising from those technologies, and he resolved to follow the ascetic's example
kirk5a

Post by kirk5a »

Given that the Buddha did not utilize the technology that was available in the day, such as the wheel... makes me think he wouldn't be using a computer. Except possibly as a metaphor. :smile:
"When one thing is practiced & pursued, ignorance is abandoned, clear knowing arises, the conceit 'I am' is abandoned, latent tendencies are uprooted, fetters are abandoned. Which one thing? Mindfulness immersed in the body." -AN 1.230
daverupa

Post by daverupa »

kirk5a wrote:Given that the Buddha did not utilize the technology that was available in the day, such as the wheel... makes me think he wouldn't be using a computer. Except possibly as a metaphor. :smile:
01010100 01101000 01110101 01110011 00100000 01101000 01100001 01110110 01100101 00100000 01001001 00100000 01101000 01100101 01100001 01110010 01100100 ...
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]