the great vegetarian debate

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
chownah

Re: the great vegetarian debate

Post by chownah » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:56 am

Thanks for pointing that out. I did not realize that I was posting data for the usa only.....I will try to pay more attention to details in the future.
chownah

Santi253

Re: the great vegetarian debate

Post by Santi253 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:18 pm

lyndon taylor wrote:Agriculture is much more than 9% of greenhouse gas emissions, figures I've heard are closer to 50%, leave it to our government to underestimate it!!
Thank you for pointing this out. Other people will have to do their own research and form their own conclusions.

I have never attempted here to shame others into vegetarianism, whether for health, ethical, or environmental reasons. I have just tried, like Lyndon above, to present whatever is supported by the evidence.

I am not going to shame a Buddhist, in any way, shape or form, for choosing to eat meat, and I'm sorry if I've given that impression.

I will just point out, for the sake of logical consistency, that if it's misconduct to kill animals for meat, then you are enabling this misconduct by purchasing it.

Monastics who rely on alms for food don't have the luxury to decide what to eat and not eat, but we do if we go out and buy our own food.

People will need to make their own dietary choices, and it's not my right to judge others as somehow inferior because of it.
Non-violence is the greatest virtue, cowardice the greatest vice. - Mahatma Gandhi

http://www.matthewsatori.tumblr.com

Warrior_monk1

Vegetarian

Post by Warrior_monk1 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:49 pm

Hello!

I want to eat less meat and eventually I want to become a vegetarian. Ofcourse, of Buddhist beliefs :anjali:
What are good meat replacements? I.E for lunch and ofcourse dinner? Ofcourse I need to think about my martial arts training, because I still train 6 days a week. But, I think it will not be a problem.

DNS
Site Admin

Re: Vegetarian

Post by DNS » Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:20 am

If you go to a natural foods type store (here in the West coast of the U.S. that's Trader Joe's, Whole Foods), you can find a ton of meat replacements from veggie burgers, tempeh burgers, meatless deli slices. And then if you go to an Asian grocery (99 Ranch Market and numerous others) you can find even more meat substitutes (meatless chicken nuggets, meatless duck, meatless fish, etc). Some are so realistic to meat that some vegetarians don't like to eat them; the texture, taste, etc is "too realistic." There are some Chinese vegetarian restaurants that serve meat substitutes and they are prepared very well and tasty with the right sauces. I've seen some omnivores comment that they "don't miss the meat" that it is so tasty.

lostitude

Post by lostitude » Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:14 pm

You don't have to replace meat with things which look or taste like meat, unless of course your problem is to miss it.
But from a purely biological perspective, a balanced association between grains and legumes perfectly does the job. If you're a woman, you might want to check your iron levels from time to time. If you are a male you don't need to worry about that.
Regarding your martial arts training 6 times a week, what is important for that is carbs more than proteins. Vegetal proteins coming from good sources like quinoa, rice+lentils/chickpeas/beans etc. are more than enough for propre muscle maintenance.

Warrior_monk1

Post by Warrior_monk1 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:06 pm

David N. Snyder wrote:If you go to a natural foods type store (here in the West coast of the U.S. that's Trader Joe's, Whole Foods), you can find a ton of meat replacements from veggie burgers, tempeh burgers, meatless deli slices. And then if you go to an Asian grocery (99 Ranch Market and numerous others) you can find even more meat substitutes (meatless chicken nuggets, meatless duck, meatless fish, etc). Some are so realistic to meat that some vegetarians don't like to eat them; the texture, taste, etc is "too realistic." There are some Chinese vegetarian restaurants that serve meat substitutes and they are prepared very well and tasty with the right sauces. I've seen some omnivores comment that they "don't miss the meat" that it is so tasty.
Thanks! Yesterday I have bought vegetarian sausage and it's pretty good! It's more expensive, but I feel the taste is much better. The vegetarian sausage has soja bean and a lot of protein in it. You recommended a lot of meat replacements and I will make sure I will use it in my diet. Thank you! :anjali:

Warrior_monk1

Post by Warrior_monk1 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:09 pm

lostitude wrote:You don't have to replace meat with things which look or taste like meat, unless of course your problem is to miss it.
But from a purely biological perspective, a balanced association between grains and legumes perfectly does the job. If you're a woman, you might want to check your iron levels from time to time. If you are a male you don't need to worry about that.
Regarding your martial arts training 6 times a week, what is important for that is carbs more than proteins. Vegetal proteins coming from good sources like quinoa, rice+lentils/chickpeas/beans etc. are more than enough for propre muscle maintenance.
I think, I am fine with meat replacements. Yeah, vegetarian meat is also good. I am a male haha! Thanks! I will try out Quinoa, rice+lentils/chickpeas/beans etc! Thank you!! :anjali:

lostitude

Post by lostitude » Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:58 pm

Warrior_monk1 wrote:
I think, I am fine with meat replacements. Yeah, vegetarian meat is also good.
I would encourage you to read the labels. Some of those vegan substitutes are heavily processed and filled with artificial stuff... in which case I think it's preferable to stick with more natural food...

Santi253

Post by Santi253 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:15 pm

Warrior_monk1 wrote:Hello!

I want to eat less meat and eventually I want to become a vegetarian. Ofcourse, of Buddhist beliefs :anjali:
What are good meat replacements? I.E for lunch and ofcourse dinner? Ofcourse I need to think about my martial arts training, because I still train 6 days a week. But, I think it will not be a problem.
Egg whites and non-fat dairy products are a good source of quality protein. One serving of non-fat Greek yogurt, for example, has half your daily value of protein. Egg whites have most of the protein in the egg, without the fat and cholesterol.

Potatoes, rice, bananas, beans, etc., are also cheap things to eat on a plant-based diet, as are frozen vegetables.
Non-violence is the greatest virtue, cowardice the greatest vice. - Mahatma Gandhi

Warrior_monk1

Post by Warrior_monk1 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:44 pm

Santi253 wrote:

Egg whites and non-fat dairy products are a good source of quality protein. One serving of non-fat Greek yogurt, for example, has half your daily value of protein. Egg whites have most of the protein in the egg, without the fat and cholesterol.

Potatoes, rice, bananas, beans, etc., are also cheap things to eat on a plant-based diet, as are frozen vegetables.
Thank you. Greek Yoghurt is something I can use in my diet. Thank you :anjali:

Santi253

Post by Santi253 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:50 pm

Warrior_monk1 wrote:
Santi253 wrote:

Thank you. Greek Yoghurt is something I can use in my diet. Thank you :anjali:
You're welcome. Another thing, if you are into making shakes, is that liquid egg whites are usually already pasteurized, so you don't need to cook them first before putting them in a shake.

Warrior_monk1

Post by Warrior_monk1 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:21 pm

Santi253 wrote:You're welcome. Another thing, if you are into making shakes, is that liquid egg whites are usually already pasteurized, so you don't need to cook them first before putting them in a shake.
Thanks! In the evening I will make a proteine shake! :namaste:

Santi253

Post by Santi253 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:30 pm

Warrior_monk1 wrote:
Santi253 wrote:You're welcome. Another thing, if you are into making shakes, is that liquid egg whites are usually already pasteurized, so you don't need to cook them first before putting them in a shake.
Thanks! In the evening I will make a proteine shake! :namaste:
You're welcome. It's cheaper than buying protein powder at the health foods store.
AllWhites and Better'n Eggs have the benefit of being pasteurized for safety so they are actually safer than traditional eggs. You can enjoy these products, uncooked, in salad dressing recipes, shakes, smoothies, desserts like tiramisu and more, without fear of food borne illness.
https://www.allwhiteseggwhites.com/faqs/

Justsit

Post by Justsit » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:11 am

Santi253 wrote:You're welcome. It's cheaper than buying protein powder at the health foods store.
It may be cheaper up front, but the cost per gram of protein is significantly higher. Egg white (in carton) costs about $1.42 for a 26 gram serving, versus 83 cents for protein powder. Egg whites in containers (such as Allwhites) must be refrigerated and used within 7 days, whereas protein powder can stay on the shelf for a long time; they also contain high levels of sodium.

If OP is considering becoming a strict vegetarian (that is, not a lacto-ovo vegetarian), egg white will be out as a protein source. Fortunately, there are good plant based protein powders available.

In addition, if OP is also concerned about environmental impact, eggs of course require chicken production lines.

Santi253

Post by Santi253 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:24 am

Justsit wrote: If OP is considering becoming a strict vegetarian (that is, not a lacto-ovo vegetarian)
That would be vegan, not vegetarian, right? I am a strict vegetarian, in terms of not eating meat or fish. I even stopped buying sour cream and yogurt with gelatin in it.

The Buddha taught that it's misconduct to kill animals for meat, but he also ate rice mixed with milk, along with rice cakes and honey.