the great vegetarian debate

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Santi253

Re: the great vegetarian debate

Post by Santi253 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:01 pm

Aloka wrote: I used to eat eggs but I don't any more because I don't particularly like them.
Dairy and eggs are in so many products, including veggie burgers, that it's hard to avoid them entirely and still get adequate nutrition.
Non-violence is the greatest virtue, cowardice the greatest vice. - Mahatma Gandhi

http://www.matthewsatori.tumblr.com

Sam Vara

Post by Sam Vara » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:07 pm

Aloka wrote:
Not all eggs are unfertilised either. If they're fertilised eggs which are eaten - technically its taking a life.

I used to eat eggs but I don't any more because I don't particularly like them.
In addition, unfertilised egg production requires the deaths of thousands of chicks, at least in most UK operations. The next generation of laying hens must be hatched and, because there is no way of sexing the unhatched chick, a batch is hatched. The males are useless to the farmer, and usually go live into the mincer for pig food etc.

Interesting point about not liking eggs. I used to eat them but gave them up when I became vegan about thirty-odd years ago. When I have since tried eggs from ethical sources (i.e. friends who keep hens as pets and therefore don't have the problems referred to above) I found they tasted disgusting. Maybe I lost the enzymes, or something. Similarly, even the smell of milk or cheese is strongly off-putting.

Sam Vara

Post by Sam Vara » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:09 pm

Santi253 wrote:
Aloka wrote: I used to eat eggs but I don't any more because I don't particularly like them.
Dairy and eggs are in so many products, including veggie burgers, that it's hard to avoid them entirely and still get adequate nutrition.
Not so here in the UK. I have avoided eggs with ease for over thirty years, and I am fit and well. It's just a matter of reading labels.

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:16 pm

Santi253 wrote: • Going Back - Five out of six people who give up meat eventually abandon their vegetarian ways.
https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/an ... n-meat-why
I've heard of those studies, but something doesn't sound right. I'm guessing there are some flaws in that research. For example, they could be counting as "vegetarian" people who just try it out for a week or two, perhaps to experiment or to lose some weight, etc. Or they could be counting as "vegetarian" those who eat fish and chicken. I can recall at least a couple of times someone telling me that they are vegetarian while they are chewing on a chicken wing. They should at least put the chicken wing down while making that claim. :tongue:

Sam Vara

Post by Sam Vara » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:32 pm

David N. Snyder wrote: I can recall at least a couple of times someone telling me that they are vegetarian while they are chewing on a chicken wing. They should at least put the chicken wing down while making that claim. :tongue:
If they had their mouth full, maybe you misheard them saying that the chicken was vegetarian... ;)

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:41 pm

Sam Vara wrote:
David N. Snyder wrote: I can recall at least a couple of times someone telling me that they are vegetarian while they are chewing on a chicken wing. They should at least put the chicken wing down while making that claim. :tongue:
If they had their mouth full, maybe you misheard them saying that the chicken was vegetarian... ;)
:thumbsup: :D

chownah

Post by chownah » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:24 am

Santi253 wrote:
chownah wrote:
Santi253 wrote:Why am I not a vegan? Just as most diets fail, most people who try going vegan or vegetarian end up eating meat again.

If going meat-free is a healthier, more ethical choice, why insist on being so restrictive as to prevent a person from actually being able to practice it?

Less restrictive than veganism, vegetarianism is healthier and more humane than the typical American diet. The Buddha taught against killing animals, not eggs and dairy.
Yes, and the typical american diet is healthier and more humane than the typical eskimo or inuit diet.
chownah
I don't live in an environment where an eskimo diet is necessary.
Eskimos don't live in an environment where an eskimo diet is necessary.
chownah

Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:27 am

Santi253 wrote:The Humane Research Council is a non-profit that uses market research techniques to assess public opinions related to animal issues. Their mission is to provide information animal protection organizations can use to more effectively spread their messages. And for this study, they recruited a group of top flight social scientists to design a survey to examine differences between current and ex-vegetarians and vegans.
The article then goes on to state that vegans are less prone to backsliding than vegetarians:
Vegans Vs. Vegetarians - Vegans are less like to backslide than vegetarians. While 86% of vegetarians returned to meat, only 70% of vegans did.
Which rather undermines your stated reason for not being a vegan:
Santi253 wrote:Why am I not a vegan? Just as most diets fail, most people who try going vegan or vegetarian end up eating meat again.

If going meat-free is a healthier, more ethical choice, why insist on being so restrictive as to prevent a person from actually being able to practice it?

Dinsdale

Post by Dinsdale » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:20 am

I tried being a vegan but I missed ice-cream too much.... :embarassed: :lol:
Buddha save me from new-agers!

Disciple

Post by Disciple » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:40 am

Spiny Norman wrote:I tried being a vegan but I missed ice-cream too much.... :embarassed: :lol:
For me it was beer marinated steaks :P

justindesilva

Post by justindesilva » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:17 am

Sam Vara wrote:
My farmer friend told me a conversation with his cow. And when the cow came to know that his owner is a vegetarian she (cow) inquired why . When this owner replied that it is because he loves the cows, the cow too replied that , that is the very reason the cow eats grass because, she (cow) loves the owner.

seeker242

Post by seeker242 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:56 am

Spiny Norman wrote:I tried being a vegan but I missed ice-cream too much.... :embarassed: :lol:
There have been great advances in vegan ice cream the past couple years. Even Haagen Daz now makes vegan versions. :lol:

Sam Vara

Post by Sam Vara » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:54 pm

justindesilva wrote: My farmer friend told me a conversation with his cow. And when the cow came to know that his owner is a vegetarian she (cow) inquired why . When this owner replied that it is because he loves the cows, the cow too replied that , that is the very reason the cow eats grass because, she (cow) loves the owner.
Excellent story - thank you!

Aloka

Post by Aloka » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:14 pm

Here's a story about a farmer in the UK:

"Vegetarian farmer saves cow herd from abattoir by donating it to animal sanctuary"

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style ... 89131.html

:anjali:

Santi253

Post by Santi253 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:27 pm

David N. Snyder wrote: For example, they could be counting as "vegetarian" people who just try it out for a week or two, perhaps to experiment or to lose some weight, etc.
I need to be careful not to tie my self-esteem to short-term weight loss. I am changing my diet for long-term health.
Non-violence is the greatest virtue, cowardice the greatest vice. - Mahatma Gandhi

http://www.matthewsatori.tumblr.com