the great vegetarian debate

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
perkele

Re: Jivaka Sutta

Post by perkele »

I have been wondering about this from the beginning, when you asked this question: how you come to ask this question, what is it actually that you are unclear about? The situation is logically very clear.
D1W1 wrote:In this Sutta Buddha says there are three conditions meat can be eaten:

1. When the animals are not seen to have been killed for oneself
2. When someone is not told by other people that an animal has been killed for himself
3. When one does not suspect an animal has been killed for oneself

What if someone heard an animal was screaming when that particular meat is prepared, is this included in three conditions above or not?
Thanks.
So in this situation, the obvious question is: Do you suspect, after just hearing an animal scream in the kitchen while your meal - of meat - was being prepared, that you are now being served that very animal that has just screamed its last while presumably being butchered in the kitchen for you to eat?
And of course only you can answer that question in that situation - although from this purely textual and perhaps hypothetical description it surely sounds like there would be reason for suspicion, and hence, condition number 3 "one does not suspect an animal has been killed for oneself" would be violated.
But of course we cannot certainly answer for you if you suspect in that situation that the animal has been killed for you. You might have more information and reasons to believe otherwise.

Sorry that I only reply now. I had been wanting for more clarity of what you are unclear about. It seems that this question of yours is also related to this other one. I might be coming back to that one later, but now have to go for some pizza driving.
perkele

Post by perkele »

tiltbillings wrote:
D1W1 wrote: This is not specifically for bhikkhu. Is there any "blameless meat rule" for lay person?
Not that I have evert seen.
Meat can only be eaten if they are blameless. So is hearing the scream of animal include in this rule or not?
Not that I have ever seen.
Reminds me of this. :tongue:
tiltbillings wrote:
D1W1 wrote:Meat can only be eaten if they are blameless. So is hearing the scream of animal include in this rule or not?
Not that I have ever seen.
Surely meat can be eaten even if not "blameless", as per the above specified 3 points. Just ask a hunter - or a lion, for example.
D1W1

Post by D1W1 »

perkele wrote:I have been wondering about this from the beginning, when you asked this question: how you come to ask this question, what is it actually that you are unclear about? The situation is logically very clear.
D1W1 wrote:In this Sutta Buddha says there are three conditions meat can be eaten:

1. When the animals are not seen to have been killed for oneself
2. When someone is not told by other people that an animal has been killed for himself
3. When one does not suspect an animal has been killed for oneself

What if someone heard an animal was screaming when that particular meat is prepared, is this included in three conditions above or not?
Thanks.
So in this situation, the obvious question is: Do you suspect, after just hearing an animal scream in the kitchen while your meal - of meat - was being prepared, that you are now being served that very animal that has just screamed its last while presumably being butchered in the kitchen for you to eat?
And of course only you can answer that question in that situation - although from this purely textual and perhaps hypothetical description it surely sounds like there would be reason for suspicion, and hence, condition number 3 "one does not suspect an animal has been killed for oneself" would be violated.
But of course we cannot certainly answer for you if you suspect in that situation that the animal has been killed for you. You might have more information and reasons to believe otherwise.

Sorry that I only reply now. I had been wanting for more clarity of what you are unclear about. It seems that this question of yours is also related to this other one. I might be coming back to that one later, but now have to go for some pizza driving.
I think hear the cry of animal will fall into category of suspicion. So it relates to the blamelessness of the meat we are eating rather than the scream of the animal per se. Thanks for the reply
And no it doesn't relate to other question.
_anicca_

Post by _anicca_ »

This is a concise seven minute talk by Ven. Bhante Vimalaramsi. I have taken a few online retreats with him, and I am close contact with the "higher-ups", if you will, at the DhammaSukha Meditation Center, where venerable is abbot.
I asked about the eating of meat and it is possible to do ethically. It does not make you a less virtuous person.

:pig:

My opinions on the ethics of eating meat...
[*] Make sure you purchase meat that was raised ethically (such as on farms)
[*] Eat species of animals that are in great abundance; no endangered species.
[*] Stay away from the consumption of cow meat because cows are contributing to deforestation, global warming, and it produces 7 pounds of feed to produce a mere pound of cow meat.

I'm a vegetarian, but this is just because I'm most used to it, and I'm not much one for the taste of meat.

:)

:anjali:
"A virtuous monk, Kotthita my friend, should attend in an appropriate way to the five clinging-aggregates as inconstant, stressful, a disease, a cancer, an arrow, painful, an affliction, alien, a dissolution, an emptiness, not-self."

:buddha1:

http://vipassanameditation.asia
_anicca_

Post by _anicca_ »

cooran wrote:Hello all,

This is interesting:

Why Buddhists should be vegetarian. By Sujato Bhikkhu
https://sujato.wordpress.com/2012/01/28 ... xtra-cute/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

With metta,
Chris
Indeed an interesting read and he highlights many important points.

It is true that the harming of sentient beings is inevitable as a human: there are microorganisms dying in our body at this moment, small insects may die if we accidentally step on them, and bees and animals are sometimes killed in the acquisition of honey and sugar, respectively.
However, this does not mean that we should all go ahead and eat meat heedlessly; this is black and white thinking. Vegetarianism and veganism are certainly the best options in my mind, but it is still possible to eat meat ethically, as I have stated above.
It seems that both Bhikkhu Sujato's and my own approach are ones of harm-reduction and absent of the extremes of being a careless carnivore or an overly restrictive vegan.

:anjali:
"A virtuous monk, Kotthita my friend, should attend in an appropriate way to the five clinging-aggregates as inconstant, stressful, a disease, a cancer, an arrow, painful, an affliction, alien, a dissolution, an emptiness, not-self."

:buddha1:

http://vipassanameditation.asia
MrLearner

Does been a vegetarian mean gods are with you?

Post by MrLearner »

Hello everyone,

This is a very strange question I would never have thought of asking previously, because I'm a very scientific person. But anyway since my mother and elder sister have been vegetarians for sometime now, staying with them after a long time recently I have also become a vegetarian. Now I have been a vegetarian for 3 months. You feel light after meals and so much better during these days. I also feel like gods are with me after been a vegetarian or something like that, obviously I haven't seen any, Is it purely something I have made up, quite possibly may be or do other vegetarians feel like this too. Also is there any truth for this. Thanks :)
DC2R

Re: Does been a vegetarian mean gods are with you?

Post by DC2R »

This is a difficult question to answer.

Perhaps you can look at it in a more generalized way. Feelings like "the gods are with you" probably stem from the good kamma you develop by not eating animals that have been killed. So there may not be any gods with you in a literal sense, but you have picked up on the results of a positive action.
Digity

Post by Digity »

If eating vegetarian makes you feel better than stick with it. I eat vegetarian most of the times and like how it makes me feel vs. eating meat. Not sure what to say about the "god" thing. I'm guessing the vegetarian food is just easier on your body and digestion, so you feel better for that reason.
robertk

Post by robertk »

DC2R wrote:
Perhaps you can look at it in a more generalized way. Feelings like "the gods are with you" probably stem from the good kamma you develop by not eating animals that have been killed. Soon.
The idea that there is good kamma from being vegetarian is wrong view - and wrong view is akusala.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

In Sri Lanka, in certain auspicious activities we do not consume or bring meat and fish to the house for three days.
There is a belief that gods do not come to your house if you consume meat.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Goofaholix

Post by Goofaholix »

MrLearner wrote:Is it purely something I have made up
Yes.

If you feel physically better then I think that's more than enough.
Pronouns (no self / not self)
“Peace is within oneself to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It is not found in a forest or on a hilltop, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run toward it.”
― Ajahn Chah
User156079

Post by User156079 »

del
Last edited by User156079 on Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

remember even fully enlightened beings eat meat.
Is there a Sutta support for this?

sloth and torpor that can be very good support for meditation
I think it is the other way around.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
denise

Post by denise »

read something a long time ago from Suzuki Roshi....a student of Suzuki Roshi said he had eaten meat and felt bad...Suzuki Roshi replied.."sometimes I eat rice"......
Last edited by denise on Sun Jul 03, 2016 2:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
User156079

Post by User156079 »

del
Last edited by User156079 on Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.