the great vegetarian debate

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Goedert

Re: what's wrong with eating meat?

Post by Goedert »

From what it is seen a wild boar's diet consists mainly of plants.

Indeed wild boar favorite is fungi, but they feed themselfs on: Roots, fruits, nuts, fungi, insects, amphibians, reptiles, small mammals, birds, carrion.

In the wild, they are foraging animals, primarily eating leaves, grasses, roots, fungi, fruits and flowers.
5heaps

Post by 5heaps »

username_5 wrote:Why is it a problem if a Buddhist enjoys a BigMac?
its coarse and disturbs deep meditation, plus it creates tendencies youll have to deal with in future lifetimes (ie. the desire to eat meat, being born around shmucks who eat meat, etcetc)
A Japanese man has been arrested on suspicion of writing a computer virus that destroys and replaces files on a victim PC with manga images of squid, octopuses and sea urchins. Masato Nakatsuji, 27, of Izumisano, Osaka Prefecture, was quoted as telling police: "I wanted to see how much my computer programming skills had improved since the last time I was arrested."
jcsuperstar

Post by jcsuperstar »

5heaps wrote: being born around shmucks who eat meat,
what about non shmucks who eat meat? or what if youre born around shmucks who dont eat meat? so so many shmucks in the world
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
bodom

Post by bodom »

5heaps wrote:
its coarse and disturbs deep meditation...
Ahh yes, the dreaded 6th hindrance...
Monks, there are six impediments and hindrances, overgrowths of the mind that stultify insight. What six? Sensual desire is an impediment and hindrance, an overgrowth of the mind that stultifies insight. Ill-will... Sloth and torpor... Restlessness and remorse... Sceptical doubt... Big Mac's from Micky D's...are impediments and hindrances, overgrowths of the mind that stultify insight. — AN 5:51
:tongue:

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
Prasadachitta

Post by Prasadachitta »

bodom wrote:
5heaps wrote:
its coarse and disturbs deep meditation...
Ahh yes, the dreaded 6th hindrance...
Monks, there are six impediments and hindrances, overgrowths of the mind that stultify insight. What six? Sensual desire is an impediment and hindrance, an overgrowth of the mind that stultifies insight. Ill-will... Sloth and torpor... Restlessness and remorse... Sceptical doubt... Big Mac's from Micky D's...are impediments and hindrances, overgrowths of the mind that stultify insight. — AN 5:51
:tongue:

Wow. Ive found a hindrance I have totally overcome. I am completely free of this hindrance to insight. I must have overcome it in a past life. :tongue:
"Beautifully taught is the Lord's Dhamma, immediately apparent, timeless, of the nature of a personal invitation, progressive, to be attained by the wise, each for himself." Anguttara Nikaya V.332
appicchato

Post by appicchato »

One might say that sarcasim is a hinderance too...where's the benefit?...
bodom

Post by bodom »

No benefit in having a sense of humour then either I guess? Oh thats right im a Buddhist. I must have forgot its all about gloom and doom..

Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
5heaps

Post by 5heaps »

bodom wrote:Ahh yes, the dreaded 6th hindrance...
it would come under sensual desire for obvious reasons and also dullness/sloth
A Japanese man has been arrested on suspicion of writing a computer virus that destroys and replaces files on a victim PC with manga images of squid, octopuses and sea urchins. Masato Nakatsuji, 27, of Izumisano, Osaka Prefecture, was quoted as telling police: "I wanted to see how much my computer programming skills had improved since the last time I was arrested."
bodom

Post by bodom »

5heaps wrote:
bodom wrote:Ahh yes, the dreaded 6th hindrance...
it would come under sensual desire for obvious reasons and also dullness/sloth
It was a joke..im well aware of what constitutes sensual desire.

- BB
Prasadachitta

Post by Prasadachitta »

appicchato wrote:One might say that sarcasim is a hinderance too...where's the benefit?...
Ven. Appicchato
If I offended in any way I am truly sorry. The issue of eating meat brings a solemness which I was hoping to lighten. I did not mean to diminish anyone's remarks.

Gabe
"Beautifully taught is the Lord's Dhamma, immediately apparent, timeless, of the nature of a personal invitation, progressive, to be attained by the wise, each for himself." Anguttara Nikaya V.332
Goedert

Post by Goedert »

It is a shame that most of the threads is turning to wild ad hominem speculations and fights. People keep with harsh or sarcastical statements towards others. Lets cultivate restrainment, tame the khandas, be good will, energetic, adicted to seclusion. It is not by means of what type of food that fall in the stomach one gain purification, it is by means of praticing accordance to the dhamma that one gain peace. The truth ly in ourselfs, not on arguments or eloquence speech but simple following the Noble Eightfold path, if you can't do it, go to a lay devote practice such as enjoying making merit and wealth, mindfull and economic about wealth, addited to given.

What is the use of knowing the doctrine and practice the opposition?
pilgrim

Post by pilgrim »

David N. Snyder wrote:Hi pilgrim,

There is no absence of evidence.

Dhammapala, in his commentary to Udana VIII.5, suggests that it refers to young bamboo shoots trampled by pigs (sukarehi maddita-vamsakaliro).

K.E. Neumann, in the preface to his German translation of the Majjhima Nikaya, quotes from an Indian compendium of medicinal plants, the Rajanigantu, several plants beginning with sukara.

Dhammapala is certainly a very respected and credible Pali scholar, writer of many of the Commentaries.

Other suggestions from the Commentaries include: a medicinal plant or yam or tuber (also vegetarian).
Hello David,
I wasn't aware that the Commentaries also suggested that sukaramaddava could also be a vegetarian dish ( notably bamboo shoots and not mushrooms) Thanks for pointing that out.

However, the statement that "Today, the majority of Buddhist scholars agree that the Buddha ate mushrooms, which may have been poisonous and led to his death at the age of 80." remains factually wrong. It was I B Horner who first suggested that sukaramaddava is truffles in her translation of the Milinda-panha. This was then generalised as mushrooms by more recent scholars. Perhaps it was pork, or perhaps it was a vegetarian dish, it appears that the mystery will not be solved anytime soon, but in view of the fact that the Thai, and Burmese Tipitaka translates the term as pork, the claim that the "majority of Buddhist scholars agree that the Buddha ate mushrooms" is factually incorrect.
Fede

Post by Fede »

Given the Buddha's own instructions on what a monk may or may not do with regard to eating meat - does this all really matter?
Didn't the Buddha exhort us to come to our own conclusions using all the tools and guidance available to us (and be the creators of our own Kamma in the process)?

it little matters what is and isn't. What matters is how we view our own actions, and what we do with what we know to be true for ourselves, and how well we stick to our own developed principles.
What matters is our adherence to the 8 and the 5.
What matters is how we practice what we believe to be skilful, and how we do not succumb to doing what is not skilful.

Isn't that enough?

or am I just being a simpleton, yet again......? :thinking: :coffee:
"Samsara: The human condition's heartbreaking inability to sustain contentment." Elizabeth Gilbert, 'Eat, Pray, Love'.

Simplify: 17 into 1 WILL go: Mindfulness!

Quieta movere magna merces videbatur. (Sallust, c.86-c.35 BC)
Translation: Just to stir things up seemed a good reward in itself. ;)

I am sooooo happy - How on earth could I be otherwise?! :D

http://www.armchairadvice.co.uk/relationships/forum/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Prasadachitta

Post by Prasadachitta »

What matters is how we view our own actions, and what we do with what we know to be true for ourselves, and how well we stick to our own developed principles.
Hi There Fede,

I should hope that this is what we spend our time and effort relating to each other. Expressing the state of our own personal understandings, how they are effecting our practice and vise versa, is the most valuable thing we can convey to each other.

Thank you for your grounding comment.

Metta

Gabe
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

Goedert wrote:It is a shame that most of the threads is turning to wild ad hominem speculations and fights. People keep with harsh or sarcastical statements towards others. Lets cultivate restrainment, tame the khandas, be good will, energetic, adicted to seclusion. It is not by means of what type of food that fall in the stomach one gain purification, it is by means of praticing accordance to the dhamma that one gain peace. The truth ly in ourselfs, not on arguments or eloquence speech but simple following the Noble Eightfold path, if you can't do it, go to a lay devote practice such as enjoying making merit and wealth, mindfull and economic about wealth, addited to given.

What is the use of knowing the doctrine and practice the opposition?
Funny, I thought I had seconded that.

:goodpost: