the great vegetarian debate

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
D1W1
Posts: 443
Joined: Sat May 30, 2015 5:52 am

Re: Eating in a restaurant part 2

Post by D1W1 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:56 am

Sorry to cut this guys.
I read vegetarianism can reduce the growth of livestock industry. But the opposite is also true, if vegetarians choose to eat meat, the demand for meat will increase.

I'm just wondering, does anyone know how the meat industry can increase (rapidly) the number of livestock? It takes approximately 2 years, for example, for a calf to fully grow. What do they do specifically to meet the high demand for meat?

D1W1
Posts: 443
Joined: Sat May 30, 2015 5:52 am

Re: Eating in a restaurant part 2

Post by D1W1 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:05 pm

Anyone?

User avatar
L.N.
Posts: 504
Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2016 6:01 pm

Re: Eating in a restaurant part 2

Post by L.N. » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:04 am

D1W1 wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:05 pm
Anyone?
Soylent Green.
Sire patitthitā Buddhā
Dhammo ca tava locane
Sangho patitthitō tuiham
uresabba gunākaro


愿众佛坐在我的头顶, 佛法在我的眼中, 僧伽,功德的根源, 端坐在我的肩上。

chownah
Posts: 7530
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:19 pm

Re: Eating in a restaurant part 2

Post by chownah » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:31 am

D1W1 wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:05 pm
Anyone?
You are asking about animal husbandry. Go read up on animal husbandry and it will teach you how fast animals can be raised. It is off topic here in this thread. Maybe you should post in the great vegetarian debate thread....or start a topic to ask this question....but....really.....just go read about animal husbandry and it will tell you.
chownah

SarathW
Posts: 10119
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:49 am

Re: Eating in a restaurant part 2

Post by SarathW » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:23 am

I'm just wondering, does anyone know how the meat industry can increase (rapidly) the number of livestock?
By battery farming.

https://www.alv.org.au/justice/
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”

D1W1
Posts: 443
Joined: Sat May 30, 2015 5:52 am

Re: Eating in a restaurant part 2

Post by D1W1 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:26 am

Thanks guys for the reply
SarathW wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:23 am
I'm just wondering, does anyone know how the meat industry can increase (rapidly) the number of livestock?
By battery farming.

https://www.alv.org.au/justice/

I used to be a vegetarian and think to become one again but talking about supply and demand, does a vegetarian really make a difference? I think their own individual meat consumption won’t make a difference compared with the scales of production decisions that meat companies make, human population grows much faster and bigger in quantity compare to the growth of vegetarian/vegan population. So how can a vegetarian really make a difference?

SarathW
Posts: 10119
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:49 am

Re: Eating in a restaurant part 2

Post by SarathW » Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:55 am

So how can a vegetarian really make a difference?
Good question.
I think India is the biggest meat exporter where majority of the population is vegetarians.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”

binocular
Posts: 5638
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:13 pm

Re: Eating in a restaurant part 2

Post by binocular » Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:56 am

D1W1 wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:26 am
So how can a vegetarian really make a difference?
By increasing the number of vegetarians.
Say, 3 billion vegetarians surely would make a difference.
Every person we save is one less zombie to fight. -- World War Z

SarathW
Posts: 10119
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:49 am

Re: Eating in a restaurant part 2

Post by SarathW » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:01 am

Say, 3 billion vegetarians surely would make a difference.
Top
Problem is not that simple.
Animal skin fetches more money than the meat content.
Animals are raised not only for meat consumption.
It does not mean we should not be vegetarians.
I consume meat but I enjoy vegetables more than the meat.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”

D1W1
Posts: 443
Joined: Sat May 30, 2015 5:52 am

Re: the great vegetarian debate

Post by D1W1 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:48 am

To produce protein from grazing beef, cattle are killed. One death delivers (on average, across Australia’s grazing lands) a carcass of about 288 kilograms. This is approximately 68% boneless meat which, at 23% protein equals 45kg of protein per animal killed. This means 2.2 animals killed for each 100kg of useable animal protein produced.

Producing protein from wheat means ploughing pasture land and planting it with seed. Anyone who has sat on a ploughing tractor knows the predatory birds that follow you all day are not there because they have nothing better to do. Ploughing and harvesting kill small mammals, snakes, lizards and other animals in vast numbers. In addition, millions of mice are poisoned in grain storage facilities every year.

However, the largest and best-researched loss of sentient life is the poisoning of mice during plagues.


Each area of grain production in Australia has a mouse plague on average every four years, with 500-1000 mice per hectare. Poisoning kills at least 80% of the mice.

At least 100 mice are killed per hectare per year (500/4 × 0.8) to grow grain. Average yields are about 1.4 tonnes of wheat/hectare; 13% of the wheat is useable protein. Therefore, at least 55 sentient animals die to produce 100kg of useable plant protein: 25 times more than for the same amount of rangelands beef.

Some of this grain is used to “finish” beef cattle in feed lots (some is food for dairy cattle, pigs and poultry), but it is still the case that many more sentient lives are sacrificed to produce useable protein from grains than from rangelands cattle.

https://theconversation.com/ordering-th ... hands-4659
If anyone here is a vegetarian, what is your reason to maintain your vegetarian diet after reading this article?

User avatar
lyndon taylor
Posts: 1835
Joined: Mon May 02, 2011 11:41 pm
Location: Redlands, US occupied Northern Mexico
Contact:

Re: the great vegetarian debate

Post by lyndon taylor » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:56 am

D1W1 wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:48 am
To produce protein from grazing beef, cattle are killed. One death delivers (on average, across Australia’s grazing lands) a carcass of about 288 kilograms. This is approximately 68% boneless meat which, at 23% protein equals 45kg of protein per animal killed. This means 2.2 animals killed for each 100kg of useable animal protein produced.

Producing protein from wheat means ploughing pasture land and planting it with seed. Anyone who has sat on a ploughing tractor knows the predatory birds that follow you all day are not there because they have nothing better to do. Ploughing and harvesting kill small mammals, snakes, lizards and other animals in vast numbers. In addition, millions of mice are poisoned in grain storage facilities every year.

However, the largest and best-researched loss of sentient life is the poisoning of mice during plagues.


Each area of grain production in Australia has a mouse plague on average every four years, with 500-1000 mice per hectare. Poisoning kills at least 80% of the mice.

At least 100 mice are killed per hectare per year (500/4 × 0.8) to grow grain. Average yields are about 1.4 tonnes of wheat/hectare; 13% of the wheat is useable protein. Therefore, at least 55 sentient animals die to produce 100kg of useable plant protein: 25 times more than for the same amount of rangelands beef.

Some of this grain is used to “finish” beef cattle in feed lots (some is food for dairy cattle, pigs and poultry), but it is still the case that many more sentient lives are sacrificed to produce useable protein from grains than from rangelands cattle.

https://theconversation.com/ordering-th ... hands-4659
If anyone here is a vegetarian, what is your reason to maintain your vegetarian diet after reading this article?
The massive hole in your neat little argument is that cows eat vegetarian food too, 8-10lbs of grain to produce 1lb of meat, so if you feed the people the grain direct you could feed 8-10 people on the food it takes to feed one person with beef, So basically your argument about animals being killed farming grain, you're killing 8-10 times as many animals and the cow as well when you eat meat instead of being vegetarian.
18 years ago I made one of the most important decisions of my life and entered a local Cambodian Buddhist Temple as a temple boy and, for only 3 weeks, an actual Therevada Buddhist monk. I am not a scholar, great meditator, or authority on Buddhism, but Buddhism is something I love from the Bottom of my heart. It has taught me sobriety, morality, peace, and very importantly that my suffering is optional, and doesn't have to run my life. I hope to give back what little I can to the Buddhist community, sincerely former monk John

http://trickleupeconomictheory.blogspot.com/

User avatar
seeker242
Posts: 742
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:01 am

Re: the great vegetarian debate

Post by seeker242 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:46 pm

D1W1 wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:48 am

Published figures suggest that, in Australia

https://theconversation.com/ordering-th ... hands-4659
If anyone here is a vegetarian, what is your reason to maintain your vegetarian diet after reading this article?
I don't live in Australia. :smile:

And many of the points made have been debunked.

http://www.animalliberation.org.au/blog ... lth-advice

http://www.animalliberation.org.au/blog ... i-land-use

http://www.animalliberation.org.au/blog ... use-deaths
Last edited by seeker242 on Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

binocular
Posts: 5638
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:13 pm

Re: the great vegetarian debate

Post by binocular » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:55 pm

D1W1 wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:48 am
If anyone here is a vegetarian, what is your reason to maintain your vegetarian diet after reading this article?
I simply don't like the smell and taste of meat, never have.
Every person we save is one less zombie to fight. -- World War Z

binocular
Posts: 5638
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:13 pm

Re: Eating in a restaurant part 2

Post by binocular » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:57 pm

SarathW wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:01 am
Say, 3 billion vegetarians surely would make a difference.
Top
Problem is not that simple.
Animal skin fetches more money than the meat content.
Animals are raised not only for meat consumption.
It does not mean we should not be vegetarians.
I consume meat but I enjoy vegetables more than the meat.
Well, apparently, the actual problem is that people want to enjoy numerous luxuries and don't care how much suffering of other beings procuring those luxuries entails.
So the solution would be to minimize or eliminate that desire for luxuries ... which is likely to be difficult.
Every person we save is one less zombie to fight. -- World War Z

Dinsdale
Posts: 5963
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:32 am
Location: Andromeda looks nice

Re: the great vegetarian debate

Post by Dinsdale » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:13 am

Quorn sausage with French mustard is tasty. :woohoo:
Buddha save me from new-agers!

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 82 guests