Linda Clair - claims of being enlightened?

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Ben

Re: Linda Clair - claims of being enlightened?

Post by Ben »

Are you suggesting, Matheesha, that we should just believe everyone who says they're enlightened?
Are you suggesting that we should not challenge those who appear to be preying on the gullible?
What do you think we should do?
kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

rowyourboat wrote:. . . .
Just because someone claims awakening does not mean they are awakened.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
chownah

Post by chownah »

I think anyone who claims they are awakened should pinch themselves first just to be sure they aren't asleepened.
chownah
rowyourboat

Post by rowyourboat »

I guess I am suggesting .. that we can only know after associating with them for a long time, and not for a short time, with a person who is wise and attentive etc. Maybe we will acrue much demerit by challenging enlightened beings. Some might consider this type of demerit as a great obstacle to becoming enlightened ourselves :shrug: ..at least this is the cultural wisdom in Sri Lanka.

with metta

Matheesha
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

A late enlightened master:

And do not question it. The hair says it all.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Ben

Post by Ben »

rowyourboat wrote:I guess I am suggesting .. that we can only know after associating with them for a long time, and not for a short time, with a person who is wise and attentive etc. Maybe we will acrue much demerit by challenging enlightened beings. Some might consider this type of demerit as a great obstacle to becoming enlightened ourselves :shrug: ..at least this is the cultural wisdom in Sri Lanka.

with metta

Matheesha
And I suggest that there maybe great demerit in vicariously standing by while people are preyed upon by a charletain claiming enlightenment. Tell me. Matheesha, how do we protect and help to propagate the sasana if we do not challenge those who misrepresent themselves as ariyas? Likewise, how do we protect those seeking genuine Dhamma if they are under the guidance of a charletain claiming enlightenment?
kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
rowyourboat

Post by rowyourboat »

:rofl: yes a picture is worth a thousand words :smile:

Well I think the Joe Public has a way of knowing about these things, which doesnt require challenging and poking. :jedi:

:namaste:
with metta

Matheesha
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha
rowyourboat

Post by rowyourboat »

Ben wrote:
rowyourboat wrote:I guess I am suggesting .. that we can only know after associating with them for a long time, and not for a short time, with a person who is wise and attentive etc. Maybe we will acrue much demerit by challenging enlightened beings. Some might consider this type of demerit as a great obstacle to becoming enlightened ourselves :shrug: ..at least this is the cultural wisdom in Sri Lanka.

with metta

Matheesha
And I suggest that there maybe great demerit in vicariously standing by while people are preyed upon by a charletain claiming enlightenment. Tell me. Matheesha, how do we protect and help to propagate the sasana if we do not challenge those who misrepresent themselves as ariyas? Likewise, how do we protect those seeking genuine Dhamma if they are under the guidance of a charletain claiming enlightenment?
kind regards

Ben
Hi Ben,

Your concerns are admirable. Sooner or later these people will show themselves to be who they truly are.. because they are not enlightened.

Give it time .. and like oil floating to the surface on water they will be implicated by their words and actions.

Seeking profit, sexual favours, alcohlism, drugs, lack of faith in the Buddha and the Suttas- you name it. It might be useful to think what these non-enlightened qualities might be (I might leave bad hair out though lol!).

with metta

Matheesha
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

rowyourboat wrote::rofl: yes a picture is worth a thousand words :smile:

Well I think the Joe Public has a way of knowing about these things, which doesnt require challenging and poking.
Actually, it does. This guy made a fortune off his claim of being enlightened.

Gregor

Post by Gregor »

Looks like there is a big number of 'enlightened' teachers today.
Daniel Ingram (interactivebuddha.com) also makes the same claim. As Ben discovered, for Linda the enlightenment means that she finally doesn't know anything and by Daniel's definition Arahat is the one with "mastery of the formed jhanas, formless realms, Nirodha Samapatti, and a few other traditional attainments"'. I cannot say how attained those two are but I really like the diversity of definitions :)
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Gregor wrote:Looks like there is a big number of 'enlightened' teachers today.
Daniel Ingram (interactivebuddha.com) also makes the same claim. As Ben discovered, for Linda the enlightenment means that she finally doesn't know anything and by Daniel's definition Arahat is the one with "mastery of the formed jhanas, formless realms, Nirodha Samapatti, and a few other traditional attainments"'. I cannot say how attained those two are but I really like the diversity of definitions :)
However, Dan's definition of what an arahant is runs counter to what one finds in the Buddha's teachings, and thus we have a very good example of a claim that should be open to very serious questioning.

http://dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=5569" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

rowyourboat

Post by rowyourboat »

tiltbillings wrote:

Well I think the Joe Public has a way of knowing about these things, which doesnt require challenging and poking.
So you rather your enlightened teachers not make money. Me too. But looks like some people benefitted from whatever he was offering and they felt the money was well 'donated'.

During the Buddhas time he would have handled the claims (there is at least one sutta..). But now we simply have to go by the dhamma-vinaya. I guess it lays a lot of responsibility on the practitioenrs to know the suttas ..and very well at that. :thinking: If you knew right from the start that the Buddha said 'dont make money off teaching the dhamma' there would be no problem, right?

with metta

Matheesha
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

rowyourboat wrote:
tiltbillings wrote:

So you rather your enlightened teachers not make money. Me too. But looks like some people benefitted from whatever he was offering and they felt the money was well 'donated'.

During the Buddhas time he would have handled the claims (there is at least one sutta..). But now we simply have to go by the dhamma-vinaya. I guess it lays a lot of responsibility on the practitioenrs to know the suttas ..and very well at that. :thinking: If you knew right from the start that the Buddha said 'dont make money off teaching the dhamma' there would be no problem, right?
An "enlightened" teacher who kills himself with an overdose of benzodiazepines is not an awakened teacher, but you can certainly hold that he is. If so, I just cannot take your opinion on this serioisly.

rowyourboat

Post by rowyourboat »

I think that a benzodiazepine overdose would rule him/her out... unless (s)he was suffering from an incurable and extremely painful ilness.

With metta

Matheesha
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha
chownah

Post by chownah »

In life "you pays your money 'n takes your chances."
chownah