What do Buddhists think of Jesus Christ?

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
alan

Re: What do Buddhists think of Jesus Christ?

Post by alan » Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:39 am

:goodpost:

Hanzze

Post by Hanzze » Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:30 am

Ben wrote:
adosa wrote:I'm assuming this wasn't just a drive by troll post.
Its exactly what it is.

As to the original question: What do Buddhists think of Jesus Christ?

One word: irrelevant
If so, than thanks Troll for passing by! :-)
Just that! *smile*
...We Buddhists must find the courage to leave our temples and enter the temples of human experience, temples that are filled with suffering. If we listen to Buddha, Christ, or Gandhi, we can do nothing else. The refugee camps, the prisons, the ghettos, and the battlefields will become our temples. We have so much work to do. ... Peace is Possible! Step by Step. - Samtach Preah Maha Ghosananda "Step by Step" http://www.ghosananda.org/bio_book.html

BUT! it is important to become a real Buddhist first. Like Punna did: Punna Sutta Nate sante baram sokham _()_

KonstantKarma

Post by KonstantKarma » Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:52 pm

Hanzze wrote:
Ben wrote:
adosa wrote:I'm assuming this wasn't just a drive by troll post.
Its exactly what it is.

As to the original question: What do Buddhists think of Jesus Christ?

One word: irrelevant
If so, than thanks Troll for passing by! :-)
We give thanks for interesting discussion brought about by drive-by trolls.

(And for crunchy troll meat.)

Kare

Post by Kare » Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:02 pm

Here is the latest news about trolls:

Mettāya,
Kåre

Bodhisurfer

Post by Bodhisurfer » Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:21 pm

Tbh I dont tend to think much about Jesus Christ. I cant know what he was actually like -any more than i can know what the Buddha was like. So it must surely be the techings that are actually under consideration? I think that, like some earlier posters have said Christianity has many positive things to say but there are some fundamental flaws ('None come to the father except through me' for example)
The Tipitaka has the Kalama Sutta where the Buddha tells the Kalama people to test the views or beleifs by the results they yeild when put into pratice. So the next time I give JC any thought Ill be using that as my yardstick. :anjali:
Sabbe dhamma nalam abhinivesaya

Mawkish1983

Post by Mawkish1983 » Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:23 pm

Bodhisurfer wrote:the next time I give JC any thought...
I miss JCSuperstar

Goofaholix

Post by Goofaholix » Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:05 pm

I must say it was nice of our Christian friend JesusLovesyou to make one posting then disappear, says something about sincerity.
“Peace is within oneself to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It is not found in a forest or on a hilltop, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run toward it.” ― Ajahn Chah

cooran

Post by cooran » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:01 pm

Goofaholix wrote:I must say it was nice of our Christian friend JesusLovesyou to make one posting then disappear, says something about sincerity.
Click on his name Goof - he pops back every so often to read the results of his post. Last time was two days ago.

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---

convivium

Post by convivium » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:20 pm

mythologized tantrik masta for those with ears, and mythologized into a false prophet to enslave, and provide false light to the masses.
Just keep breathing in and out like this. Don't be interested in anything else. It doesn't matter even if someone is standing on their head with their ass in the air. Don't pay it any attention. Just stay with the in-breath and the out-breath. Concentrate your awareness on the breath. Just keep doing it. http://www.ajahnchah.org/book/Just_Do_It_1_2.php

Aloka

Post by Aloka » Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:54 pm

With respect - to be honest, I don't ever think about Jesus Christ. (Even though I was a teacher in a Catholic school for 12 years.)

:anjali:

Virgo

Post by Virgo » Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:50 am

Great question. First of all, we have to look at our concept of Jesus Christ and see if it really represents who and what Jesus was or if the interpretation that has come down to of Jesus is skewed at all. Jesus was obviously a very holy person and a "saint" of sorts (I put 'saint' in quotation marks to show that he was holy but not a saint in the traditional Buddhist way, that is to say not of one of the four levels of Enlightenment) but how do we know that he really taught what is ascribed to him? Early Christians were quite diverse in their beliefs. Only at the Council of Nicea did the "church" and the most powerful priests of the day finally come to one understanding of Christs' divinity. For example, some believed that he was just a man but that He became sanctified and communed with God. Other believed that he was literally the son of God but was human. Others believed he was wholly divine and only appeared as man. Only at the Council of Nicea were these things debated and one final "conclusion" was come to, which would be taught and handed down by the mainstream. There were sects such as Gnostics who were much more esoteric than we see in the early Catholic church and Eastern Orthodox. Also, the big churches such as the Catholic church were influenced by so many things. For example, there is an old Pagan rite from Italy called Cornucopia where the Goddess and the God are thanked for the harvests during the first harvest. The Priestess would do a rite and then bread and wine were blessed and said to contain the fertility of the Goddess. The Catholic "communion" is very similar to this tradition but the bread and wine are said not to be the fertility of the Goddess and God but the body and blood of Christ. Coincidence? Maybe, and maybe not.

We have to keep in mind when trying to answer this question that what we are taught about Jesus and how we conceive of Jesus may not accurately represent how Jesus the man really was.

There have been many holy men. The Dalai Lama could be considered a holy man, as well as Ghandi. But not all Buddhists believe that these men are special sons of God or even saints. Many yogis in India had spiritual power, or iddhis, and could perform miralces. Are they that much different than Jesus? It is well known that many bhikkhus who had not yet become enlightened could gain the siddhis through jhana, such as stroking the sun and the moon, flying, walking on water or traveling through earth and so on. Hindu yogis also gained siddhis.

So my opinion is that while Jesus Christ may have been "special", he was just another yogi, like any of the yogis from India or elsewhere that gained special powers. I don't think the hype that was built up around him by the church is accurate. But again, of course, I am sure he was a very special and saintly man.
The Hunger Site

Annapurna

Post by Annapurna » Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:00 am

JesusLovesYou wrote:What do Buddhists think of Jesus Christ?
Welcome, JLY,

I can't tell you what "Buddhists" think, but I can tell you what I think.

I went to a school run by protestant nuns. So we did a lot of religion studies.Which is very helpful to me now.

I think very highly of Jesus and what he taught about non violence and mercy.

I particularly love the story of the good Samaritian and the woman who was to be stoned.

He said: "He who is without sin should cast the first stone."

Since they all realized they were not free of sin, the agitated mob was paralized by words alone, the power of logic and insight alone.

What a powerful master. Sort of like Buddha and how he tamed Angulimala.

Another teaching I like is this one:

"You hypocrite, you see the mote in your neighbor's eye, but not the log in your own.

pointing finger.jpeg
pointing finger.jpeg (2.73 KiB) Viewed 2053 times

I love this one very much, because when I am dealing with self-satisfied and conceited people, it's helpful.

All in all, I think Jesus teachings are largely very beneficial and some Buddhist teachers have written great comparisons between Buddhas and Jesus teachings.

Have a blessed day,

Annapurna

Goedert

Post by Goedert » Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:06 am

I'm my opinion, Jesus teached Mundane Dhamma.

Mundane Dhamma do not lead to cessation but it leads to a happy destination. The Buddha adviced us to pay respect for such dhamma.

I bow for Jesus and respect him.

Popo

Post by Popo » Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:43 pm

What do Christians think of Buddha?
Theoretical approaches have their place and are, I suppose, essential but a theory must be tempered with reality.
-J. Nehru

convivium

Post by convivium » Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:51 pm

"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ" - Gandhi
Just keep breathing in and out like this. Don't be interested in anything else. It doesn't matter even if someone is standing on their head with their ass in the air. Don't pay it any attention. Just stay with the in-breath and the out-breath. Concentrate your awareness on the breath. Just keep doing it. http://www.ajahnchah.org/book/Just_Do_It_1_2.php