karmic cause of schizophrenia

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths. What can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
tamdrin

Re: karmic cause of schizophrenia

Post by tamdrin » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:31 pm

Aloka wrote:

Buddha intended the Suttas teachings on unseen realms to be literally. Not believing them to be so in new fangled western dharma psychological mumbo jumbo.
Hi Tamdrin, I don't think Tibetan Buddhist lamas would like their teachings to be called "new fangled western dharma psychological mumbo jumbo"

Please check the following course at Kagyu Samye Ling, Scotland UK :
The Six Realms of Experience

Within the Buddhist teachings the six realms of existence are seen as six mind-states which are effectively six particular styles of imprisonment. As human beings we experience all these mind-states daily, although we may have a stronger tendency towards one than the others, depending on our habitual patterns.

The mind-states of mental confusion, fear, desire and anger are very familiar to everyone, as well as the pain caused both to oneself and others. During this course we will look at each of these six realms and styles of imprisonment as well as their remedies. Through meditation, compassion and mindfulness we learn how to transform these states into wisdom and skilful activity.

http://www.samyeling.org/index/samyelin ... Experience

:)

Course leader "Lama Zangmo"-probably a western teacher. I guess Trungpa Rinpoche sometimes presented them as mental states. However in other places he made clear that they are also literal.

Get real folks if the 6 realms are just mental states there is no need to fear or practice Buddhism. I mean come on is the animal realm a mental state of a human being merely, no of course not it is an actual realm in which beings with a predominance of certain karmas take birth. Same goes for the hell, hungry ghost, demi god, and god realms..

Aloka

Post by Aloka » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:49 pm

Lama Zangmo is a nun and completed a 12 year closed retreat before she began teaching, and she was taught by several high tulkus. The monastery she is holding the course at is run by a Tibetan abbot and a lineage tulku who approve of all the courses first.

Trungpa Rinpoche most certainly did present the realms as mental states and so do other Tibetans.

I assume you are a practitioner of Tibetan Buddhism yourself? If so I suggest you do a little more research.

Goodnight :anjali:
Last edited by Aloka on Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.

tamdrin

Post by tamdrin » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:51 pm

Yes .

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Post by retrofuturist » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:59 pm

Greetings tamdrin,

In that case, be sure also to check our Dharma Wheel (see my signature), if you wish to seek Vajrayana perspectives on the issues raised here.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"One discerns wrong view as wrong view, and right view as right view. This is one's right view." (MN 117)

tamdrin

Post by tamdrin » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:23 pm

Yes it could be that the Vajrayana'ists have a different interpretation of karma and its effects..

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Post by retrofuturist » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:33 pm

Greetings,
tamdrin wrote:Yes it could be that the Vajrayana'ists have a different interpretation of karma and its effects..
Yes, from my experience in online discussions that is certainly the case. Theravada is towards the minimalist end of the spectrum which regards to its view on what are the products of kamma.

Metta,
"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"One discerns wrong view as wrong view, and right view as right view. This is one's right view." (MN 117)

tamdrin

Post by tamdrin » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:36 pm

Then the problem is,while which view is the truth. Truth so often becomes truth because we adopt certain tenet systems to make it so..

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Post by retrofuturist » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:40 pm

Greetings,
tamdrin wrote:Then the problem is,while which view is the truth. Truth so often becomes truth because we adopt certain tenet systems to make it so..
Indeed - my preference is to rely on the suttas here, though my views are also shaped by some lucid Theravadin bhikkhus who do/did present matters of kamma from a suttanta angle.

Regardless of preference though, all anyone can do is explain why from their POV, their presentation of kamma makes sense to them. Others may agree, others may not - others may contemplate what is said and compare it with their own understanding, others may not.

My preference to stick with the Buddha's words are because I doubt anyone post-Buddha understood kamma better that he, and that others post-Buddha may be prone to unfounded speculation and papanca on the subject of kamma and its effects.

Metta,

beeblebrox

Post by beeblebrox » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:01 pm

tamdrin wrote:Yes but I wasn't looking for something from psychiatry I was looking for Buddhist perspectives on the condition.
I think it's a wrong use of the Buddha's teaching. It's for liberation... nothing more, nothing less. Use kamma only to get out. It's not a history lesson. Focus on taking out the arrow. Don't worry about how it got here. The proper kamma for someone who has schizophrenia would be to seek help for it.

:anjali:

Individual

Post by Individual » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:22 pm

tamdrin wrote:I asked Ven Pesala what the karmic cause of schizophrenia was and he said that drug and alchohol use was the cause. In certain situations it could apparently manifest in the same life. Do any of you know or have you seen reference in Buddha's teachings as to what can be the cause of mental illness?
I am a living example... unfortunately... :weep:
The best things in life aren't things.

The Diamond Sutra

beeblebrox

Post by beeblebrox » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:38 pm

I didn't notice your other thread till later... hope that goes well. I'm still glad to see you're around.

:anjali:
Last edited by beeblebrox on Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Moth

Post by Moth » Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:02 pm

What exactly is your condition? Predisposed Schizophrenia induced by hallucinogens? HPPD?
May you be happy. May you be a peace. May you be free from suffering.
http://www.everythingspirals.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Individual

Post by Individual » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:17 pm

Moth wrote:
What exactly is your condition? Predisposed Schizophrenia induced by hallucinogens? HPPD?
Bipolar disorder, largely triggered by marijuana use

But I saw all kinds of strange visions and delusions... Thought I was Hitler, Jesus, Buddha, Charles Manson, etc..

I may have also punched a wall without having any conscious recollection of it.

Someday, I will also have parkinson's disease from using ecstasy too... Drugs are always bad. Always.. Except medicines.
The best things in life aren't things.

The Diamond Sutra

Viscid

Post by Viscid » Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:52 pm

Individual wrote: Bipolar disorder, largely triggered by marijuana use

Someday, I will also have parkinson's disease from using ecstasy too... Drugs are always bad. Always.. Except medicines.
MDMA/Ecstasy has not been shown to cause parkinson's disease.

Declaring drug use as a direct, sole cause for a mental illness such as schizophrenia or bipolar disorder is a gross oversimplication of its pathology. I get the impression the overzealous do this to illustrate that moral failings will lead to permanent suffering, justifying and motivating abstinence through fear.
"What holds attention determines action." - William James

cooran

Post by cooran » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:14 pm

Hello all,

This link and the citations on the RHS regarding recent research might assist in clarifying he link between marijuana and schizophrenia
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19080993" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---

PeterB

Post by PeterB » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:36 pm

Viscid wrote:
Individual wrote: Bipolar disorder, largely triggered by marijuana use

MDMA/Ecstasy has not been shown to cause parkinson's disease.

Declaring drug use as a direct, sole cause for a mental illness such as schizophrenia or bipolar disorder is a gross oversimplication of its pathology. I get the impression the overzealous do this to illustrate that moral failings will lead to permanent suffering, justifying and motivating abstinence through fear.
Quite so. The most that we can say with some degree of certainty is that some people are predisposed to certain conditions and that substances for example marijuana, can serve as a trigger for those conditions. Heredity is a an important element here.

tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:59 pm

Individual wrote:
Moth wrote:
Bipolar disorder, largely triggered by marijuana use
It might exacerbate it, it might cause it to manifest earlier, but pot does not cause it.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723

cooran

Post by cooran » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:31 pm

Hello all,

Cannabis use can be considered a component cause [of schizophrenia]…..
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19080993" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---

tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:54 pm

cooran wrote:Hello all,

Cannabis use can be considered a component cause [of schizophrenia]…..

with metta
Chris
The question is, will these kids become psychotic without pot?
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723

PeterB

Post by PeterB » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:17 pm

I dont think that at the moment with our present state of knowledge we can yet answer that Tilt...
But there are good reasons to avoid pot, including the relevant precept.