something endures unchanged for at least a certain interval

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
BlackBird

Re: something endures unchanged for at least a certain interval

Post by BlackBird »

Sanghamitta wrote:Ok feel free to remove Retro.
Personally I would would have great reservations about casting a suicide into the role of mentor, but there we are. I think that act removes all credibility just as if he had murdered someone else.
Weren't you cautioning me a few threads back about passing judgement on things I hadn't read? As Retro said, there's a number of examples of Ariyas committing suicide in the Nikayas. Guess you would have great reservations about listening to said Ariyas too? Would you lump those good fellows in with the murderers also?
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta

Path Press - Ñāṇavīra Thera Dhamma Page - Ajahn Nyanamoli's Dhamma talks
Nyana

Post by Nyana »

Sobeh wrote:IMO he did.
Hi Sobeh,

Ven. Ñāṇavīra was one of the first people in a very long time to question the authority and validity of the received commentarial tradition. IMO this was intellectually honest and necessary. He offered much in order to begin to clear the path. But it was just a beginning. He wasn't always 100% correct and his approach and writing style are not straightforward. A diligent, disinterested practitioner can accept Ven. Ñāṇavīra's pioneering contributions while also seeing that it's now possible to approach the dhamma even more directly.

All the best,

Geoff
Sobeh

Post by Sobeh »

tiltbillings wrote:Let me ask: is Nanavira advocating that something endures unchanged for at least a certain interval?
[url=http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/an/an04/an04.042.than.html]Panha Sutta[/url] (AN 4.42) wrote:"There are these four ways of answering questions. Which four? There are questions that should be answered categorically [straightforwardly yes, no, this, that]. There are questions that should be answered with an analytical (qualified) answer [defining or redefining the terms]. There are questions that should be answered with a counter-question. There are questions that should be put aside. These are the four ways of answering questions."
Your question needs an analytic answer. Nanavira does not claim that something per se endures unchanged for at least a certain interval. That you continue to ask the question in this way reflects a somewhat slavish commitment to the phrase in the letter as opposed to the content of the idea. Nanavira claims that enduring unchanged for at least a certain interval is a certain experience set of a certain level of generality. Anything we experience as a something is a certain experience set of a certain level of generality. The word "certain" reflects a strong commitment to the relational aspect of this fundamental structure, as opposed to an imputed temporal one (which is not asserted - perception of time is based on perception of change, and not the other way 'round).
Ñāṇa wrote:...it's now possible to approach the dhamma even more directly.
It's the "even more directly" comparative frame of reference which is out of place; it is a subjective evaluation being conveyed as if it were objectively determined.
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

Please note, a few posts have been split off to a new topic...

Are ariyas a later addition to the Dhamma?
http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=6086" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Nyana

Post by Nyana »

Sobeh wrote:
Ñāṇa wrote:...it's now possible to approach the dhamma even more directly.
It's the "even more directly" comparative frame of reference which is out of place; it is a subjective evaluation being conveyed as if it were objectively determined.
It's a subjective evaluation being conveyed as a subjective evaluation.

Moreover, it's a subjective evaluation which considers the dhamma interpreted through western philosophy and symbolic logic to be far less direct, less practical, and less skillful than the dhamma unencumbered by such unnecessary intellectual head trips.

All the best,

Geoff
alan

Post by alan »

Are the Commentaries not subjective?
Seems like a lot of head trips there, too.
I don't pretend to get everything he writes. But I can't easily dismiss it.
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Sobeh wrote:
tiltbillings wrote:Let me ask: is Nanavira advocating that something endures unchanged for at least a certain interval?
[url=http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/an/an04/an04.042.than.html]Panha Sutta[/url] (AN 4.42) wrote:"There are these four ways of answering questions. Which four? There are questions that should be answered categorically [straightforwardly yes, no, this, that]. There are questions that should be answered with an analytical (qualified) answer [defining or redefining the terms]. There are questions that should be answered with a counter-question. There are questions that should be put aside. These are the four ways of answering questions."
Your question needs an analytic answer. Nanavira does not claim that something per se endures unchanged for at least a certain interval. That you continue to ask the question in this way reflects a somewhat slavish commitment to the phrase in the letter as opposed to the content of the idea.
Then obviously Nanavira is not particularly adept at expressing his ideas. I am simply reading the text of what he wrote as it is written, and I see no reason from how Nanavira wrote what he wrote not to take what he has written as it is written. If he meant to say something else, then he should have said something else.

I have yet to see anyone here tell us what the "something" is and what exactly it means that it is "unchanged" for an "interval," what ever that might mean in this context. So far, and this is so in what follows, we get a lot of bouncing around of these words and some rather ill defined ideas, but no clarity.
Nanavira claims that enduring unchanged for at least a certain interval is a certain experience set of a certain level of generality.
Huh? And you make my point by reflecting Nanavira by saying something that sounds like it is saying something but says very little, if anything, indeed.
Anything we experience as a something is a certain experience set of a certain level of generality. The word "certain" reflects a strong commitment to the relational aspect of this fundamental structure, as opposed to an imputed temporal one (which is not asserted - perception of time is based on perception of change, and not the other way 'round).
Again, this really explains nothing.

You might want to try it again in clear, concise English, and maybe we can see if Nanavira actually said something here that makes any sense.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Assaji

Post by Assaji »

Hi,

As Buddha said, the body exists for decades:

"It would be better for the uninstructed run-of-the-mill person to hold to the body composed of the four great elements, rather than the mind, as the self. Why is that? Because this body composed of the four great elements is seen standing for a year, two years, three, four, five, ten, twenty, thirty, forty, fifty, a hundred years or more. But what's called 'mind,' 'intellect,' or 'consciousness' by day and by night arises as one thing and ceases as another. Just as a monkey, swinging through a forest wilderness, grabs a branch. Letting go of it, it grabs another branch. Letting go of that, it grabs another one. Letting go of that, it grabs another one. In the same way, what's called 'mind,' 'intellect,' or 'consciousness' by day and by night arises as one thing and ceases as another.

— Assutavā-sutta (SN 12.61)
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dmytro
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Dmytro wrote:Hi,

"It would be better for the uninstructed run-of-the-mill person to hold to the body composed of the four great elements, rather than the mind, as the self. Why is that? Because this body composed of the four great elements is seen standing for a year, two years, three, four, five, ten, twenty, thirty, forty, fifty, a hundred years or more. But what's called 'mind,' 'intellect,' or 'consciousness' by day and by night arises as one thing and ceases as another. Just as a monkey, swinging through a forest wilderness, grabs a branch. Letting go of it, it grabs another branch. Letting go of that, it grabs another one. Letting go of that, it grabs another one. In the same way, what's called 'mind,' 'intellect,' or 'consciousness' by day and by night arises as one thing and ceases as another.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dmytro
Which is the third time this text has been quoted, but, of course, the body does not "exist" unchanged, even from this moment to the next, when seen with vipassana.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Spiny O'Norman

Post by Spiny O'Norman »

I think the point of this is that the mind changes much more quickly than the body.
Generally what I've found helpful is the reflection that there are no things, only processes.

Spiny
5heaps

Post by 5heaps »

tiltbillings wrote:I have yet to see anyone here tell us what the "something" is and what exactly it means that it is "unchanged" for an "interval," what ever that might mean in this context. So far, and this is so in what follows, we get a lot of bouncing around of these words and some rather ill defined ideas, but no clarity.
if a thing were not momentary then it could not be subject to arising, abiding, aging and disintegration. that you yourself get out of this by appealing to some unmentioned idea of designation is irrelevant.

it is therefore "unchanging" in the sense that it reserves its main characteristic nature momentarily as it is undergoing the subtlest form of change. is it technically unchanging, no, because if it were nothing could impact it not even impermanence.

if you find something wrong with this identify the problem and explain it using your system.
Sanghamitta wrote:attempts to smuggle Vajrayana concepts under the wire led me some time ago to conclude that i was not inclined to take your critique of the Theravada with any degree of seriousness.
1. who is critiquing Thervada? i am explaing momentariness. if anything, Tilt's stuff about designation and bringing in Nagarjuna is a critique.
2. i havent brought in emptiness once and have no desire to. youd have to seriously wrestle it out of me.
A Japanese man has been arrested on suspicion of writing a computer virus that destroys and replaces files on a victim PC with manga images of squid, octopuses and sea urchins. Masato Nakatsuji, 27, of Izumisano, Osaka Prefecture, was quoted as telling police: "I wanted to see how much my computer programming skills had improved since the last time I was arrested."
beeblebrox

Post by beeblebrox »

tiltbillings wrote:

Dmytro
Which is the third time this text has been quoted, but, of course, the body does not "exist" unchanged, even from this moment to the next, when seen with vipassana.
Are you saying that you're now continually perceiving your body to change (along with others)... all the time? Or just during vipassana?

If it's the latter... then aren't you clinging to your own experience from that? Especially during those times when it's obvious that you're perceiving this body (or at least parts of it, such as bones, say) not to change, for even a moment?

This seems like avijjā. By the way, I don't think that the word "ignorance" is really a good translation for it... it has the wrong connotations. I think avijjā is more like "the act of ignoring." You're focused on one thing, while "ignoring" this other side that goes against the thing. (Or missing it, if you're doing this unknowingly.) That is exactly what it seems like you've been doing here... which leads to suffering. (Of course.)

So, stop ignoring the stuff that you've yourself been perceiving (via sañña), especially when you've stopped perceiving something (such as when the changing state ends; which (this state), again, is not the same as anicca). Whether you've been doing this unintentionally or not --- this D.O. thing has already been pointed out by the Buddha... so, right now you really have no excuse.
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

beeblebrox wrote:
tiltbillings wrote:

Dmytro
Are you saying that you're now continually perceiving your body to change (along with others)... all the time? Or just during vipassana?
It is an irrelavant question to the OP and the rest of it makes no sense.

tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

5heaps wrote:
tiltbillings wrote:I have yet to see anyone here tell us what the "something" is and what exactly it means that it is "unchanged" for an "interval," what ever that might mean in this context. So far, and this is so in what follows, we get a lot of bouncing around of these words and some rather ill defined ideas, but no clarity.
if a thing were not momentary then it could not be subject to arising, abiding, aging and disintegration. that you yourself get out of this by appealing to some unmentioned idea of designation is irrelevant.

it is therefore "unchanging" in the sense that it reserves its main characteristic nature momentarily as it is undergoing the subtlest form of change. is it technically unchanging, no, because if it were nothing could impact it not even impermanence.

if you find something wrong with this identify the problem and explain it using your system.
if a thing were not momentary I have no idea of what you are talking about.

tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Spiny O'Norman wrote:

I think the point of this is that the mind changes much more quickly than the body.
Generally what I've found helpful is the reflection that there are no things, only processes.
Agreed. If we must hang onto something, thinking it is a our "self," the body seems more reasonable becausae it give the appearance and sense of not changing, whereas the mind is constanly going from this to that. Your conclusion is to the point.

But the question of the OP: what is Nanavira referring to as something endures unchanged for at least a certain interval?