Ingram, et al - "Hard Core Dharma" & claims of attainment

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
manas

Re: Ingram, et al - "Hard Core Dharma" & claims of attainment

Post by manas »

(My post related to absorbtion practice, was off-topic, so I've deleted it (is there a quick and easy 'delete button' as I can't see one anywhere)?
Last edited by manas on Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
To the Buddha-refuge i go; to the Dhamma-refuge i go; to the Sangha-refuge i go.
Ben

Post by Ben »

Greeting Owen,
owenbecker wrote:Hey Everybody,
I'm Owen, one of the guys on the recording. One of my friends pointed your site out to me and I've seen a lot of questions on here lately about KFD. You guys are welcome to come over to KFD and ask questions. We hope to be a resource for anybody who wants to practice.
Metta,
-o
Welcome to Dhamma Wheel!
Thanks for your kind invite to join discussion over at KFD. Likewise, you and your friends are welcome here and to join in the discussion here regarding all things "hardcore".
kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Kenshou wrote:. . . let's not swerve the topic to jhana practice.
I do not think we have to worry about that.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

owenbecker wrote: We hope to be a resource for anybody who wants to practice.
Thank you; however, having read the KF account of his practice and the gears business, I do not see much there of interest for me, being just a mushroomie traditionalist type of guy.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

I must be enlightened acording to ....

sorry I know there is work to do, and I am not going by some unrealistic account in the suttas solely, but my own experience.

the recording is showing no Jhana.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Manapa wrote:
the recording is showing no Jhana.
Not by what I can see by my own experience, nor from what I have heard others say when talking about jhana nor by what I have read. It is hard to say what is going on in that recording. Maybe the participants can tell us a bit more than might make it all clear.

gsteinb

Post by gsteinb »

this was posted by one of the participants on the kfd forum in the thread regarding this audio

Yesterday, 5:46 PM EDT | Post edited: Yesterday, 6:06 PM EDT
I'm posting this link here to give visitors not familiar with certain things an idea on how we, at KFD, see jhanas and certain nanas corresponding.

http://kennethfolkdharma.wetpaint.com/p ... +%C3%91ana" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And concerning being able to talk within the jhanas. Something Kenneth has said:

"When we are able to talk from within a jhana, it means we are able to be in that jhana without being absorbed (embedded) in it. This is good when your objective is to awaken because it means we are able to light a lamp while in a very concentrated place, thereby bringing awakening to that jhana. I think of it as accessing various deep places in the mind in order to awaken the sleeping buddhas who are embedded there.

So we are not staying at a superficial level but rather training the mind to be alert and functional in all sorts of states that are often thought of as inherently dysfunctional.

The simile of the radio: When you tune the radio to FM 101.9, you access the station that lives at that frequency. Depending on various factors like the distance from the transmitter, the power and quality of the receiver and its batteries, and the level of distraction, you may be hearing the music "loud and clear" or faintly, through static. There is a continuum of clarity, but in all cases, you are at 101.9. The best part is that with practice you can learn to dial in the radio until it is crystal clear while simultaneously balancing the boom box on your shoulder and dancing hip-hop. It's a skill to be cultivated." Kenneth Folk

Edited to include: Jhanas are hell easy to access, go in and out of and talk in after 2nd path for most yogis. ;)
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

{{{sigh}}}

BubbaBuddhist

Post by BubbaBuddhist »

To toss my doughnut into the basket:

People can live a very convincing simulacrum of high attainment, at least for long periods. But If I wanted to determine if someone was an ariya, Here is my litmus test: I would spend a week or so with him/her. If the suspected ariya woke up in the middle of the night to make a restroom trip, stubbed their pinky toe on the edge of a table, and instead of shouting "G_D_m it! @#$*&%^&!" instead said, "Hmm...what an interesting fruiting of kamma. Ouch." And continued unperturbed about his business, then I would be thoroughly and completely convinced, yes--he is the one.

J
Author of Redneck Buddhism: or Will You Reincarnate as Your Own Cousin?
Reductor

Post by Reductor »

tiltbillings wrote:{{{sigh}}}
I concur.. {{sigh}}
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

I have not long gone over to see what is said there, and came accross this thread when I searched dhammawheel
http://dharmaoverground.org/web/guest/d ... hammawheel" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ben, started this thread and I don't recall any threads from there being posted, but...

and here aretwo on stream entry, which may provide food for thought on their view of what this attainment is!
http://dharmaoverground.org/web/guest/d ... ightenment" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://dharmaoverground.org/web/guest/d ... %26cur%3D3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by Cittasanto on Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Manapa wrote:
and here is one on stream entry, which may provide food for thought on their view of what attainments are!
http://dharmaoverground.org/web/guest/d ... ightenment" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Gotta love those "blips."

Alex123

Post by Alex123 »

I understand the pop idea that "if you set standarts too high, then you will be discouraged and don't try".

But it also has serious drawbacks. If you set standarts too low, then you won't need to work as hard and as long, and the "attainments" will not be the real thing. So one would stop short before reaching significant stage.

Also when setting the bar too low, one would aim too low - where if one were to set the bar as high as possible, one would have to aim higher and attempt to go further.
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

in case no one realised I have edited my last post!

but tilt what do you mean by blip?

and Alex, I agree, I think there can be discouragement by the standards being high/seem too high, but if you really want to get to the top of Everest getting to the foot is not the full distance, and sometimes thinking you are further than you actually are can be so much better when you arrive at your destination 'early.'

John Stuart Mill
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Manapa wrote:in case no one realised I have edited my last post!

but tilt what do you mean by blip?'
http://dharmaoverground.org/web/guest/d ... age_363966:
Then when those two characteristics where dwelled on it made perfect sense......dukkha!!!! Non-satisfactoriness /suffering....that is why there is so much suffering...it made so much sense and as soon as that was dwelled on.....there was a sensation of something about to happen...a sensation of being pulled up on the crown slightly and then a moment of something...I refer to it as a conk out but that might be too descriptive...a blip out maybe is better. Then the mind, which is now the calmest it's ever been seems to stall for a second or two. Someone has explained it as feeling like the rebooting of a computer and that is how it feels. A second or two of this and then the mind is kind of back as it was before and then a bliss wave hits you. Initially the bliss wave was intense and had an amazing Wow factor but these days it feels so normal and although it feels very cooling and refreshing for the mind there is no wow factor to it. Very normal and mundane.