difficult situation

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Vepacitta

Re: difficult situation

Post by Vepacitta »

Perhaps we should start a topic on restraint, wholesome behaviour, removal of the taints?
I'm your friendly, neighbourhood Asura
SDC

Post by SDC »

dhamma_spoon wrote: :stirthepot:
Isn't you're arm tired yet?! :tongue:
Vepacitta wrote:Perhaps we should start a topic on restraint, wholesome behaviour, removal of the taints?
I'm down. I'll look for it tomorrow.

Good discussion everyone.
“Life is swept along, short is the life span; no shelters exist for one who has reached old age. Seeing clearly this danger in death, a seeker of peace should drop the world’s bait.” SN 1.3
dhamma_spoon

Post by dhamma_spoon »

Vepacitta wrote:Perhaps we should start a topic on restraint, wholesome behaviour, removal of the taints?
Hi Asura Vepacitta -

Please do! Let me provide an excellent source of sutta that treats both wholesomeness and taints !

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .ntbb.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"And what, friends, is the unwholesome, what is the root of the unwholesome, what is the wholesome, what is the root of the wholesome? ...

"When, friends, a noble disciple understands the taints, the origin of the taints, the cessation of the taints, and the way leading to the cessation of the taints, in that way he is one of right view, whose view is straight, who has perfect confidence in the Dhamma and has arrived at this true Dhamma.

"And what are the taints, what is the origin of the taints, what is the cessation of the taints, what is the way leading to the cessation of the taints?

:meditate:
A soup spoon does not know the taste of the soup.
A dhamma spoon does not know the taste of the Dhamma!
dhamma_spoon

Post by dhamma_spoon »

SDC wrote:
dhamma_spoon wrote: :stirthepot:
Isn't you're arm tired yet?! :tongue:
I'm down. I'll look for it tomorrow.

Good discussion everyone.
Hi, SDC and Asura -

Good point! Yes, I'm tired too (stirring the Dhamma pot for too long)!
Okay. Let's do it again tomorrow.

Regards,

:stirthepot: Dhamma_spoon
dhamma_spoon

Wholesome, taints and sense restraint

Post by dhamma_spoon »

Hi, Asura Vepacitta and all -

Thank you for the wholesome initiation. :soap:
Below I provide the necessary sutta background to assist us in this discussion.

1. Wholesome and Unwholesome

"Killing living beings is unwholesome; taking what is not given is unwholesome; misconduct in sensual pleasures is unwholesome; false speech is unwholesome; malicious speech is unwholesome; harsh speech is unwholesome; gossip is unwholesome; covetousness is unwholesome; ill will is unwholesome; wrong view is unwholesome. This is called the unwholesome.

"And what is the root of the unwholesome? Greed is a root of the unwholesome; hate is a root of the unwholesome; delusion is a root of the unwholesome. This is called the root of the unwholesome.

2. What are the taints?

"There are three taints: the taint of sensual desire, the taint of being and the taint of ignorance. With the arising of ignorance there is the arising of the taints. With the cessation of ignorance there is the cessation of the taints. The way leading to the cessation of the taints is just this Noble Eightfold Path; that is, right view, right intention, right speech, right action, right livelihood, right effort, right mindfulness and right concentration. [The Discourse on Right View ]
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .ntbb.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

3. Restraint of the Sense Faculties

"And how does one dwell in heedfulness? When a monk dwells with restraint over the faculty of the eye, the mind is not stained
with forms cognizable via the eye. When the mind is not stained, there is joy. There being joy, there is rapture. There being rapture, there is
serenity. There being serenity, he dwells in ease. The mind of one at ease becomes centered. When the mind is centered, phenomena
(dhammas) become manifest. When phenomena are manifest, one is classed simply as one who dwells in heedfulness.

"When a monk dwells with restraint over the ear... nose... tongue... body...

"When a monk dwells with restraint over the faculty of the intellect, the mind is not stained with ideas cognizable via the intellect. When the
mind is not stained, there is joy. There being joy, there is rapture. There being rapture, there is serenity. There being serenity, he dwells in ease. The mind of one at ease becomes centered. When the mind is centered, phenomena (dhammas) become manifest. When phenomena are manifest, one is classed simply as one who dwells in heedfulness.

"This is how one dwells in heedfulness."
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
[SN 35.97 Pamadaviharin Sutta: Dwelling in Heedlessness translated from the Pali by Thanissaro Bhikkhu]

Cheers,

Dhamma_spoon. :stirthepot:
Vepacitta

Post by Vepacitta »

Hey Dhamma
Spoon - you put that post in the wrong thread - I opened up a new thread for this :D

V.
dhamma_spoon

Post by dhamma_spoon »

Hey Asura, -

Thank you for setting up a new thread for that topic, my friend.

Dhamma_spoon :woohoo:
dhamma_spoon

Post by dhamma_spoon »

Vepacitta wrote:Hey Dhamma
Spoon - you put that post in the wrong thread - I opened up a new thread for this :D

V.
Hi, Vepacitta -

Where do I find that "new thread", friend?

:thanks:
Vepacitta

Post by Vepacitta »

Right here in the Dhammic Free-for-All

Eradicating the Taints, Encouraging Wholesomeness