MUHAMMAD (PBUH) IN BUDDHIST SCRIPTURES?

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
oceanmen

Re: MUHAMMAD (PBUH) IN BUDDHIST SCRIPTURES?

Post by oceanmen »

tiltbillings wrote:
oceanmen wrote:

if you take the Ego too seriously does that mean you take humility too lightly?
Humility can be quite self-deceptive, just as can be sincerity.
equinimity between ego and humility or regarding the illusion in them is what u mean?
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

oceanmen wrote:
tiltbillings wrote:
oceanmen wrote:

if you take the Ego too seriously does that mean you take humility too lightly?
Humility can be quite self-deceptive, just as can be sincerity.
equinimity between ego and humility or regarding the illusion in them is what u mean?
No. Nothing so complicated. We human beings just have a great capacity for self-deception.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
oceanmen

Post by oceanmen »

Rather that saying one must read the Koran in Arabic to understand; it would be far better to say: "It is what Muslims believe that to truly understand the Koran. . . .
do you have the Buddhist sutta of not believing anything unless u do proper investigation?
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

oceanmen wrote:
Rather that saying one must read the Koran in Arabic to understand; it would be far better to say: "It is what Muslims believe that to truly understand the Koran. . . .
do you have the Buddhist sutta of not believing anything unless u do proper investigation?
Do you understand my point here about the differences between to the two statements? Might you not wonder about the differences in the responses elicited between the two?
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
oceanmen

Post by oceanmen »

tiltbillings wrote:
oceanmen wrote:
Do you understand my point here about the differences between to the two statements? Might you not wonder about the differences in the responses elicited between the two?

i understand and i agree...hope its likewise...!!
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

oceanmen wrote:

i understand and i agree...hope its likewise...!!
There is always hope.

Mawkish1983

Post by Mawkish1983 »

Hmmm, I've often noticed people leave out the "praised by the wise" bit when misquoting the Kalama Sutta, if that's what you're refering to Oceanmen.
oceanmen

Post by oceanmen »

Mawkish1983 wrote:Hmmm, I've often noticed people leave out the "praised by the wise" bit when misquoting the Kalama Sutta, if that's what you're refering to Oceanmen.
please elaborate, i dont understand
what is Kalama Sutta and what is "praised by the wise"
i m new here :reading:
Laurens

Post by Laurens »

I don't think much of Muhammed. I wonder how people rationalize worshipping a paedophile?
'Narrated Aisha: The Prophet married her when she was six years old and he consummated his marriage when she was nine years old Sahih al-Bukhari, 7:62:64
A guy who had sexual relations with a 9 year old girl.

Doesn't sound like a Buddha.... This is but why example of why it would be reasonable to consider Muhammed a twisted and evil individual...
"If only it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?"

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Mawkish1983

Post by Mawkish1983 »

oceanmen wrote:please elaborate
With reference to...
oceanmen wrote:do you have the Buddhist sutta of not believing anything unless u do proper investigation?
I think you are thinking of the Kalama Sutta. Search on Accesstoinsight for it :)
Mawkish1983

Post by Mawkish1983 »

Laurens wrote:twisted and evil individual
I don't think there are any evil people, just people who choose to do evil deeds.
Laurens

Post by Laurens »

Mawkish1983 wrote:
Laurens wrote:twisted and evil individual
I don't think there are any evil people, just people who choose to do evil deeds.
Okay, well the point I was making is that Muhammed was not exactly a peaceful and "Buddhist" individual. He is claimed to have beheaded 600 - 900 in Banu Qurayza for example. There are no Buddhist scriptures proclaiming the murderous acts of Gotama.

Its a popular misconception that Islam is founded upon peace. Whilst there are undoubtedly peaceful Muslims - they are unfortunately somewhat unorthodox.
"If only it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?"

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
oceanmen

Post by oceanmen »

Laurens wrote:I don't think much of Muhammed. I wonder how people rationalize worshipping a paedophile?
'Narrated Aisha: The Prophet married her when she was six years old and he consummated his marriage when she was nine years old Sahih al-Bukhari, 7:62:64
A guy who had sexual relations with a 9 year old girl.

Doesn't sound like a Buddha.... This is but why example of why it would be reasonable to consider Muhammed a twisted and evil individual...

sorry bro, thats hadith again....fabricated and unreliable
oceanmen

Post by oceanmen »

Okay, well the point I was making is that Muhammed was not exactly a peaceful and "Buddhist" individual. He is claimed to have beheaded 600 - 900 in Banu Qurayza for example. There are no Buddhist scriptures proclaiming the murderous acts of Gotama.

Its a popular misconception that Islam is founded upon peace. Whilst there are undoubtedly peaceful Muslims - they are unfortunately somewhat unorthodox.
Muhammed was not exactly a peaceful and "Buddhist" individual.
did you meet him?

where did you get that claim of 600-900 beheaded...never heard of it
another fabricated hadith probably and not in line with koran

as for islam not being found on peace, i half agree with you

during the time of Mohamed he never spread islam by the sword
he was only defending himself when being attacked and their numbers were small
when they entered mecca after 10 years of peace he made it crystal clear:
let no man cut a tree, let no man hurt any child or woman, elderly, or anyone who stays in his home
it was a clean entry without a drop of blood

i do however agree that after his death the age of islamic colonalization emerged and
that age as todays muslims, both have "Nothing" to do with koranic teachings at all

:namaste:
Last edited by oceanmen on Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oceanmen

Post by oceanmen »

Mawkish1983 wrote:
oceanmen wrote:please elaborate
With reference to...
oceanmen wrote:do you have the Buddhist sutta of not believing anything unless u do proper investigation?
I think you are thinking of the Kalama Sutta. Search on Accesstoinsight for it :)

thank you

:namaste: