MUHAMMAD (PBUH) IN BUDDHIST SCRIPTURES?

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
User avatar
tiltbillings
Posts: 23044
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:25 am

Re: MUHAMMAD (PBUH) IN BUDDHIST SCRIPTURES?

Post by tiltbillings » Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:52 am

oceanmen wrote:not a monk....i wish!!
Then why the word "ordained?"
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723

User avatar
oceanmen
Posts: 73
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:45 am

Re: MUHAMMAD (PBUH) IN BUDDHIST SCRIPTURES?

Post by oceanmen » Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:53 am

tiltbillings wrote:
oceanmen wrote:
Kim O'Hara wrote:I came back to reply to Tilt's question about apologies but the discussion has moved on far beyond that, so I'll do something more appropriate and make a request to those who are arguing the merits of Islam vs Buddhism: please re-read the last ten (or so) posts, mentally swapping Mohammed/Islam/Arabic for Buddha/Buddhism/Pali and vice versa, and ponder the result before posting again.
:namaste:
Kim

thank you

@titl: i m not Baha'i - born Muslim and ordained Buddhist (which does not make me less Muslim/Buddhist)
Ordained? You are a monk?
our greatest enemy is our Ego
Not really. It is taking the ego too seriously that is the problem.

if you dont take the Ego too seriously does that mean you take humility too lightly?
Last edited by oceanmen on Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
oceanmen
Posts: 73
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:45 am

Re: MUHAMMAD (PBUH) IN BUDDHIST SCRIPTURES?

Post by oceanmen » Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:54 am

tiltbillings wrote:
oceanmen wrote:not a monk....i wish!!
Then why the word "ordained?"

.....i thought its applicable for non monks as well....

User avatar
tiltbillings
Posts: 23044
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:25 am

Re: MUHAMMAD (PBUH) IN BUDDHIST SCRIPTURES?

Post by tiltbillings » Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:55 am

oceanmen wrote:

if you take the Ego too seriously does that mean you take humility too lightly?
Humility can be quite self-deceptive, just as can be sincerity.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723

User avatar
tiltbillings
Posts: 23044
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:25 am

Re: MUHAMMAD (PBUH) IN BUDDHIST SCRIPTURES?

Post by tiltbillings » Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:57 am

oceanmen wrote:
tiltbillings wrote:
oceanmen wrote:not a monk....i wish!!
Then why the word "ordained?"

.....i thought its applicable for non monks as well....
Not really. Generally ordained suggest becoming a monk. Going for refuge (most commonly mistranslated as taking refuge) is what is used for laity.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723

User avatar
oceanmen
Posts: 73
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:45 am

Re: MUHAMMAD (PBUH) IN BUDDHIST SCRIPTURES?

Post by oceanmen » Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:58 am

tiltbillings wrote:
oceanmen wrote:

if you take the Ego too seriously does that mean you take humility too lightly?
Humility can be quite self-deceptive, just as can be sincerity.
equinimity between ego and humility or regarding the illusion in them is what u mean?

User avatar
tiltbillings
Posts: 23044
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:25 am

Re: MUHAMMAD (PBUH) IN BUDDHIST SCRIPTURES?

Post by tiltbillings » Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:00 am

oceanmen wrote:
tiltbillings wrote:
oceanmen wrote:

if you take the Ego too seriously does that mean you take humility too lightly?
Humility can be quite self-deceptive, just as can be sincerity.
equinimity between ego and humility or regarding the illusion in them is what u mean?
No. Nothing so complicated. We human beings just have a great capacity for self-deception.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723

User avatar
oceanmen
Posts: 73
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:45 am

Re: MUHAMMAD (PBUH) IN BUDDHIST SCRIPTURES?

Post by oceanmen » Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:08 am

Rather that saying one must read the Koran in Arabic to understand; it would be far better to say: "It is what Muslims believe that to truly understand the Koran. . . .
do you have the Buddhist sutta of not believing anything unless u do proper investigation?

User avatar
tiltbillings
Posts: 23044
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:25 am

Re: MUHAMMAD (PBUH) IN BUDDHIST SCRIPTURES?

Post by tiltbillings » Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:13 am

oceanmen wrote:
Rather that saying one must read the Koran in Arabic to understand; it would be far better to say: "It is what Muslims believe that to truly understand the Koran. . . .
do you have the Buddhist sutta of not believing anything unless u do proper investigation?
Do you understand my point here about the differences between to the two statements? Might you not wonder about the differences in the responses elicited between the two?
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723

User avatar
oceanmen
Posts: 73
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:45 am

Re: MUHAMMAD (PBUH) IN BUDDHIST SCRIPTURES?

Post by oceanmen » Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:26 am

tiltbillings wrote:
oceanmen wrote:
Rather that saying one must read the Koran in Arabic to understand; it would be far better to say: "It is what Muslims believe that to truly understand the Koran. . . .
do you have the Buddhist sutta of not believing anything unless u do proper investigation?
Do you understand my point here about the differences between to the two statements? Might you not wonder about the differences in the responses elicited between the two?

i understand and i agree...hope its likewise...!!

User avatar
tiltbillings
Posts: 23044
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:25 am

Re: MUHAMMAD (PBUH) IN BUDDHIST SCRIPTURES?

Post by tiltbillings » Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:27 am

oceanmen wrote:

i understand and i agree...hope its likewise...!!
There is always hope.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723

Mawkish1983
Posts: 1286
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:46 am
Location: Essex, UK

Re: MUHAMMAD (PBUH) IN BUDDHIST SCRIPTURES?

Post by Mawkish1983 » Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:03 pm

Hmmm, I've often noticed people leave out the "praised by the wise" bit when misquoting the Kalama Sutta, if that's what you're refering to Oceanmen.

User avatar
oceanmen
Posts: 73
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:45 am

Re: MUHAMMAD (PBUH) IN BUDDHIST SCRIPTURES?

Post by oceanmen » Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:11 pm

Mawkish1983 wrote:Hmmm, I've often noticed people leave out the "praised by the wise" bit when misquoting the Kalama Sutta, if that's what you're refering to Oceanmen.
please elaborate, i dont understand
what is Kalama Sutta and what is "praised by the wise"
i m new here :reading:

Laurens
Posts: 471
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:56 pm
Location: Norfolk, England

Re: MUHAMMAD (PBUH) IN BUDDHIST SCRIPTURES?

Post by Laurens » Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:18 pm

I don't think much of Muhammed. I wonder how people rationalize worshipping a paedophile?
'Narrated Aisha: The Prophet married her when she was six years old and he consummated his marriage when she was nine years old Sahih al-Bukhari, 7:62:64
A guy who had sexual relations with a 9 year old girl.

Doesn't sound like a Buddha.... This is but why example of why it would be reasonable to consider Muhammed a twisted and evil individual...
"If only it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?"

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Mawkish1983
Posts: 1286
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:46 am
Location: Essex, UK

Re: MUHAMMAD (PBUH) IN BUDDHIST SCRIPTURES?

Post by Mawkish1983 » Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:22 pm

oceanmen wrote:please elaborate
With reference to...
oceanmen wrote:do you have the Buddhist sutta of not believing anything unless u do proper investigation?
I think you are thinking of the Kalama Sutta. Search on Accesstoinsight for it :)

Locked

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 41 guests