Do you think you ever met Arahant?

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Cittasanto

Re: Do you think you ever met Arahant?

Post by Cittasanto »

The teaching from the monk I believe is an Arahant is enough!

essentially he said 'got a problem go to the satipatthana sutta,' as well as pointing out, as peter has done here, he can not practice for me.

he was visiting here from Burma, so couldn't at the time but I do hope to meet him again, next time in different circumstances.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

Because I am not a monk. I am married with a family and a job.
I think that this debate is interesting in that it points to some need for clarification in the nature and function of an Arahant.
The OP asked of anyone here had met an Arahant. I replied that I think I might have. That the person in question is widely regarded as such.
However he is not a fictional Bodhisttava emanating copies of himself and appearing and disappearing.
He is a flesh and blood person who gives no indication of having Iddhis, and in fact discourages strongly any interest in such.
He has been a Dhamma teacher for decades. he has taught monks nuns and lay people all of that time.
His talks have been transcribed and videoed and recorded.
He is totally available, although I gather that he is going to start cutting back on his teaching activities because of age.
I actually dont need to hear him teach any more. I have got the gist of it. I need to actualise it.
That means at times benefitting occasionally from the kind of inspiration that he and his senior monks can give.
I dont know how else to answer...
acinteyyo

Post by acinteyyo »

PeterB wrote:Because I am not a monk. I am married with a family and a job.
I think that this debate is interesting in that it points to some need for clarification in the nature and function of an Arahant.
The OP asked of anyone here had met an Arahant. I replied that I think I might have. That the person in question is widely regarded as such.
However he is not a fictional Bodhisttava emanating copies of himself and appearing and disappearing.
He is a flesh and blood person who gives no indication of having Iddhis, and in fact discourages strongly any interest in such.
He has been a Dhamma teacher for decades. he has taught monks nuns and lay people all of that time.
His talks have been transcribed and videoed and recorded.
He is totally available, although I gather that he is going to start cutting back on his teaching activities because of age.
I actually dont need to hear him teach any more. I have got the gist of it. I need to actualise it.
That means at times benefitting occasionally from the kind of inspiration that he and his senior monks can give.
I dont know how else to answer...
I don't know either. You gave me an answer and that's enough for me, thanks.
Thag 1.20. Ajita - I do not fear death; nor do I long for life. I’ll lay down this body, aware and mindful.
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

:anjali:
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

PeterB wrote:The particular person in question ( whether Arahant or not ) can be visited anytime..he is about 40 minutes away by car from here.
I dont get the question.
Even if he is an Arahant he can only teach what he is teaching at any given time.
He doesnt hold secret classes in Arahanthood. He just teaches Dhamma to all who come.
What he definately is, is a Theravadin monk.
Peter, thank you. It appears I missed this!

(Who are we talking about...?)
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

I'll PM you.
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings Annapurna,
Annapurna wrote:The Arahant must be willing to accept "disciples"...
Not necessarily... there's a pacceka-buddha that doesn't have disciples.

Being an arahant doesn't necessarily guarantee excellent communication skills.

Metta,
Retro. :)
Thank you, I agree. I realize my statement can either be read in 2 ways, or I made a grammar mistake.

I meant: IF he is not willing to gather disciples around him, and teach, or live with them, then it's not possible to stay with him.

(Did I make a grammar mistake? Then please correct me, dhammawise, as well, of course) :anjali:

Annapurna
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Anna,

I think it's just a little difficult in online forums sometimes to pick up the continuity and context.

With what you say above, I understand now what you meant.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
devyani_mandpe

Post by devyani_mandpe »

Even if i knew a person was a Aharant what will i do? The Buddha said each one of us has to strive and work for our own salvation. I find the question confusing to the teachings of the Buddha.
zazang

Have you met Arhants ?

Post by zazang »

Hello everyone

I was wondering if anyone here has met Arhants and which branch of Buddhism they were following
and what exact practice lead to their liberation ?

Thank you ,

metta

zazang
jcsuperstar

Re: Have you met Arhants ?

Post by jcsuperstar »

i think we had this thread once already
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
Ordinaryperson

Post by Ordinaryperson »

The monk my father suspected to be an Arahant was soft spoken, old, thin always with gentle smile when he spoke to my father so apart from that one might simply think that he was just an old monk, I met the old monk too but could not communicate with him since I could not speak Thai.

How did my father know? Gut instinct.

:smile:

p/s: there is no easy way for a layperson to know if a monk is an Arahant because the mind does not permit him/her to have the ability to do so since the modern minds can be rather polluted, information overload etc, so until such time as we learn to calm our minds the possibility of knowing if one has met an Arahant is very slim.
Last edited by Ordinaryperson on Mon May 31, 2010 1:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
~Actively trying to destroy the Three Unwholesome Roots of Greed, Hatred and Ignorance~
~ Greed is the greatest danger of them all ~
Ben

Post by Ben »

zazang wrote:I was wondering if anyone here has met Arhants and which branch of Buddhism they were following
I'm not sure if I've met any as I hear they belong to Arahants Anonymous.
zazang wrote:and what exact practice lead to their liberation ?
Its a famous eight-step program.
kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
alan

Post by alan »

:lol:
Lee_123

Post by Lee_123 »

"The eight factors of the Noble Eightfold Path are not steps to be followed in sequence, one after another. They can be more aptly described as components rather than as steps, comparable to the intertwining strands of a single cable that requires the contributions of all the strands for maximum strength. With a certain degree of progress all eight factors can be present simultaneously, each supporting the others."

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... toend.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;