A big problem . .

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Post Reply
jbrooks79
Posts: 21
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:20 am

A big problem . .

Post by jbrooks79 »

I studied Buddhism for ten years, and they said it was important to have Buddha, the Dhamma ( dharma ) and, a sangha, a religious community . . Because there are no big temples in Denmark, I felt I should join a Church, but feel bad about it . . In the end, I decided it was more important to try and find some company, and find a place to be ' religious ', that's all . .

Now I'm not so sure about it, what do you think, should I leave the Church, I can't find any other buddhists in Denmark, to talk with . . Not for many miles, I live somewhat in the country, sadly . .

User avatar
cappuccino
Posts: 4449
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:45 am

Re: A big problem . .

Post by cappuccino »

lay life is impossible to practice perfectly
Last edited by cappuccino on Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

SarathW
Posts: 14089
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:49 am

Re: A big problem . .

Post by SarathW »

I have many temples where I live.
Perhaps I have been to the temple only once last year for some occasion.
My virtual temple is Dhamma Wheel.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”

SteRo
Posts: 2368
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:27 am

Re: A big problem . .

Post by SteRo »

jbrooks79 wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:32 am
I studied Buddhism for ten years, and they said it was important to have Buddha, the Dhamma ( dharma ) and, a sangha, a religious community . . Because there are no big temples in Denmark, I felt I should join a Church, but feel bad about it . . In the end, I decided it was more important to try and find some company, and find a place to be ' religious ', that's all . .

Now I'm not so sure about it, what do you think, should I leave the Church, I can't find any other buddhists in Denmark, to talk with . . Not for many miles, I live somewhat in the country, sadly . .
Be sure there are followers of Buddha Dhamma all over the world because Buddha Dhamma stands for reality. Buddha Dhamma isn't very obvious because the way the world is functioning is governed by ignorance.
If you take refuge to Buddha, Dhamma Sangha you are on the save side of being which will eventually lead you to abandon the ignorance of the world.
just be a member of Buddha's community. This membership is mental and universal and independent of local organisations or structures.
:group:
To the spheres of experience ("users") it may concern: When applying words no truth or reality is claimed. Language only knows the extremes of (+)-affirming experience ("is", "has", "does", etc.) and (-)-negating experience ("isn't", "hasn't", "doesn't", etc.) but it does not know the 'zero'-(0)-experience of non-apprehension. Therefore every linguistic expression might erroneously appear as claim though it is only a preliminary suggestion.

jbrooks79
Posts: 21
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:20 am

Re: A big problem . .

Post by jbrooks79 »

Lay life is amazing, when you have the Buddha, and love, honor . .

I further those in meditation, deep prayer and, so on . . It's really good, really works . .

jbrooks79
Posts: 21
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:20 am

Re: A big problem . .

Post by jbrooks79 »

SarathW wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:40 am
I have many temples where I live.
Perhaps I have been to the temple only once last year for some occasion.
My virtual temple is Dhamma Wheel.
Hmm, you can get a Virtual Temple . . I need that . . .

jbrooks79
Posts: 21
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:20 am

Re: A big problem . .

Post by jbrooks79 »

SteRo wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:50 am
jbrooks79 wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:32 am
I studied Buddhism for ten years, and they said it was important to have Buddha, the Dhamma ( dharma ) and, a sangha, a religious community . . Because there are no big temples in Denmark, I felt I should join a Church, but feel bad about it . . In the end, I decided it was more important to try and find some company, and find a place to be ' religious ', that's all . .

Now I'm not so sure about it, what do you think, should I leave the Church, I can't find any other buddhists in Denmark, to talk with . . Not for many miles, I live somewhat in the country, sadly . .
Be sure there are followers of Buddha Dhamma all over the world because Buddha Dhamma stands for reality. Buddha Dhamma isn't very obvious because the way the world is functioning is governed by ignorance.
If you take refuge to Buddha, Dhamma Sangha you are on the save side of being which will eventually lead you to abandon the ignorance of the world.
just be a member of Buddha's community. This membership is mental and universal and independent of local organisations or structures.
:group:
Thank you, fighting ignorance is really hard, takes years, tough stuff . . I still struggle with it, in my mind . . .

Ignorance is not just lack of truth, it's also being opposed to it, hating it, it's really strange, I think . .

SteRo
Posts: 2368
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:27 am

Re: A big problem . .

Post by SteRo »

jbrooks79 wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:02 am
Ignorance is not just lack of truth, it's also being opposed to it, hating it, it's really strange, I think . .
See how advanced on the path you are already ... good karma, merit ... keep going. It is a pleasure to see all the mature beings! :anjali:
To the spheres of experience ("users") it may concern: When applying words no truth or reality is claimed. Language only knows the extremes of (+)-affirming experience ("is", "has", "does", etc.) and (-)-negating experience ("isn't", "hasn't", "doesn't", etc.) but it does not know the 'zero'-(0)-experience of non-apprehension. Therefore every linguistic expression might erroneously appear as claim though it is only a preliminary suggestion.

SarathW
Posts: 14089
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:49 am

Re: A big problem . .

Post by SarathW »

SteRo wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:11 am
jbrooks79 wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:02 am
Ignorance is not just lack of truth, it's also being opposed to it, hating it, it's really strange, I think . .
See how advanced on the path you are already ... good karma, merit ... keep going. It is a pleasure to see all the mature beings! :anjali:
Agree.
This is a one of the big barrier.
The truth is there but you doubt it or fear it.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”

SteRo
Posts: 2368
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:27 am

Re: A big problem . .

Post by SteRo »

SarathW wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:32 am
SteRo wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:11 am
jbrooks79 wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:02 am
Ignorance is not just lack of truth, it's also being opposed to it, hating it, it's really strange, I think . .
See how advanced on the path you are already ... good karma, merit ... keep going. It is a pleasure to see all the mature beings! :anjali:
Agree.
This is a one of the big barrier.
The truth is there but you doubt it or fear it.
you say it, my friend. And if we have caught a glimpse of the truth then we often fail to be mindful of it.
To the spheres of experience ("users") it may concern: When applying words no truth or reality is claimed. Language only knows the extremes of (+)-affirming experience ("is", "has", "does", etc.) and (-)-negating experience ("isn't", "hasn't", "doesn't", etc.) but it does not know the 'zero'-(0)-experience of non-apprehension. Therefore every linguistic expression might erroneously appear as claim though it is only a preliminary suggestion.

SteRo
Posts: 2368
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:27 am

Re: A big problem . .

Post by SteRo »

Having said this it is a big pleasure to be part of Buddha's community. Isn't it?

:group:
To the spheres of experience ("users") it may concern: When applying words no truth or reality is claimed. Language only knows the extremes of (+)-affirming experience ("is", "has", "does", etc.) and (-)-negating experience ("isn't", "hasn't", "doesn't", etc.) but it does not know the 'zero'-(0)-experience of non-apprehension. Therefore every linguistic expression might erroneously appear as claim though it is only a preliminary suggestion.

User avatar
JamesTheGiant
Posts: 1189
Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:41 am
Location: New Zealand

Re: A big problem . .

Post by JamesTheGiant »

There are quite a few Buddhist and meditation groups in your country. Do you live in a tiny town or country area?

char101
Posts: 336
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:21 am

Re: A big problem . .

Post by char101 »

Buddha, Dhamma, and Sangha are necessary, but you need to know the meaning of each.

This is denoted in the tisarana paritta:
Buddhāṁ saranaṁ gaccāmi
Dhammaṁ saranaṁ gaccāmi
Saṅghaṁ saranaṁ gaccāmi

To the Buddha I go for refuge
To the Dhammā I go for refuge
To the Saṅgha I go for refuge
To take refuge in the Buddha means to follow his teachings.
To take refuge in Dhamma means to practice it.
To take refuge in Sangha means to follow the practice of those who has successfully practiced Dhamma.

As you can see what is meant by Buddha, Dhamma, Sangha are really the things inside you and not the external entities.

jbrooks79
Posts: 21
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:20 am

Re: A big problem . .

Post by jbrooks79 »

Yes, but I got lonely, I guess I thought Sangha meant find some other practicioners, and practice together, help eachother . . :(

Post Reply