Mumbo Jumbo Buddhism

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
pilgrim

Re: Mumbo Jumbo Buddhism

Post by pilgrim »

The Chinese (outside mainland China), the Japanese and Western Tibetan Buddhists are the most prolific producers of mumbo jumbo Buddhism. Even the older Mahayana Buddhists disavow them. True Buddha School. Guan Yin Citta, Supreme Master Ching Hai, Dorje Chang Buddha, Bodhi Meditation, Falun Gong, YiGuanDao, Happy Science...the list goes on.

At least with Theravada, we can reference deviant Theravada teachings to the Tipitaka and Commentaries. With Mahayana, its teaching of skillful means, realised bodhisattvas, Dharma ending age, later discovered teachings, makes that near impossible.
No_Mind

Post by No_Mind »

SarathW wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:43 pm
OTOH they are mostly middle aged women and quite pretty. But I refuse to exploit the Buddha or Dhamma as pretext for meeting a woman.
Don't you think it is a great idea to find a like-minded partner?
Like minded ?!! :thinking:
Et tu, Brute?

:namaste:
"The struggle itself toward the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy.”― Albert Camus
polo

Post by polo »

SteRo wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:22 am I wonder to what degree it might be conducive for one's own practice to ponder practices of others.
Well, SteRo, you have really brought me down on my knees, I must say in a few short words you have brought me back to my senses.
I have not practice skillful thinking as taught by Buddha. However it makes you feel good to think that you are the one following the true teaching of Buddha.
polo

Post by polo »

pilgrim wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:30 pm The Chinese (outside mainland China), the Japanese and Western Tibetan Buddhists are the most prolific producers of mumbo jumbo Buddhism. Even the older Mahayana Buddhists disavow them. True Buddha School. Guan Yin Citta, Supreme Master Ching Hai, Dorje Chang Buddha, Bodhi Meditation, Falun Gong, YiGuanDao, Happy Science...the list goes on.

At least with Theravada, we can reference deviant Theravada teachings to the Tipitaka and Commentaries. With Mahayana, its teaching of skillful means, realised bodhisattvas, Dharma ending age, later discovered teachings, makes that near impossible.
You know when I saw how those followers bow down and really show they respect their Supreme Master Ching Hai it just blow my mind.
A friend of mine said those people who follow Supreme Master Ching Hai want to be cheated they want to be scam. So they donated lots of money to her. How else can you explain he said.
I told my friend if I find a businessman who is willingly to finance me to start a new religion say in the US my chances of making lots of money is good. My friend said, "That's the idea". It's all showmanship,good planning, ability to bring God to the people, your chances of success is better than in normal business. You will be rich beyond your dream. Just look at Supreme Master Ching Hai's wealth.
Oh, by the way during the early years of Supreme Master Ching Hai I found her sexually attractive, I don't know why. Sex is always on my mind I am afraid. I must meditate on that unwholesome aspect of my mind.
polo

Post by polo »

No_Mind wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:01 pm
polo wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:19 am Any members of the forum here find the following Buddhist sect kind of "Mumbo Jumbo" ? They are the following: Japanese Nicheren Soka Gakkai
Tibetan Buddhism
Certain Chinese Buddhist Sect(so many of them -under different names).
By Mumbo Jumbo I mean they no longer really following the real teaching of Buddha they have formulated too much rituals and too many stories and mythology attached to their teachings. It is the rituals and performance of certain rites that I feel make them "Mumbo Jumbo".
Well, I am just asking. No bad intentions - would love to hear views from pure Theravadins.
There are huge number of SGI members here. Their face lights up when they hear I am a Buddhist. Shortly thereafter I inform them that I do not consider what they follow to be Buddhism in any way, shape or form; that I would have some respect if they were pure Nichiren but SGI is a fake sect.

It is so annoying to hear nutcases claim they are Buddhists.

OTOH they are mostly middle aged women and quite pretty. But I refuse to exploit the Buddha or Dhamma as pretext for meeting a woman.

You mean you told them straight in their face you don't consider SGI as true Buddhism? Oh no, you hurt their feelings I guess. Being Buddhist you shouldn't do that. Compassion remember? They are misled. Poor souls that do not find the path of Buddha.
I guess some of them will eventually found out the truth and leave SGI . Perhaps thereafter never again want to listen to any more talks on Buddhism be it Theravada or Mahayana.
SteRo

Post by SteRo »

polo wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:33 am
SteRo wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:22 am I wonder to what degree it might be conducive for one's own practice to ponder practices of others.
Well, SteRo, you have really brought me down on my knees, I must say in a few short words you have brought me back to my senses.
I have not practice skillful thinking as taught by Buddha. However it makes you feel good to think that you are the one following the true teaching of Buddha.
I don't understand your response to my words, sorry. Could you explain?
Exhaling अ and inhaling धीः amounts to བྷྲཱུཾ་བི་ཤྭ་བི་ཤུད་དྷེ
polo

Post by polo »

SteRo wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:44 am
Yes, yes, you could have misunderstood what I wrote, I am not sure. I will explain here. First part when I said, " You have really brought me down on my knees-it's like someone in the boxing ring being defeated and fell down. So I mean what you said is really true and I was wrong and I was defeat like a boxer coming down on his knees. Got what I mean now?
The second part I wrote , "However it makes you feel good to think that you are the one following the true teaching of Buddha"- here I mean I am the one who feel good to think that I am the one following the true teaching of Buddha". This last sentence refer to myself not you.
I hope you got it now? In short I am saying what you said was true and I was wrong but I wrote it in such bad English that could make people misunderstood what I wrote.
English is not my mother tongue. Is English your national language?
SteRo

Post by SteRo »

polo wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:24 am
SteRo wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:44 am

Yes, yes, you could have misunderstood what I wrote, I am not sure. I will explain here. First part when I said, " You have really brought me down on my knees-it's like someone in the boxing ring being defeated and fell down. So I mean what you said is really true and I was wrong and I was defeat like a boxer coming down on his knees. Got what I mean now?
The second part I wrote , "However it makes you feel good to think that you are the one following the true teaching of Buddha"- here I mean I am the one who feel good to think that I am the one following the true teaching of Buddha". This last sentence refer to myself not you.
I hope you got it now? In short I am saying what you said was true and I was wrong but I wrote it in such bad English that could make people misunderstood what I wrote.
English is not my mother tongue. Is English your national language?
Thank you for your explanation.

No, English is not my native language.

But maybe my remark has also been too terse? I am going to explain ...
So saying
I wonder to what degree it might be conducive for one's own practice to ponder practices of others.
what I had in mind was the following:
1. Pondering the practice of others may cause unwholesome doubt as to one's own practice: Maybe theirs is better? Maybe I should try their practice because there is no progress with my practice? ... and the like
2. Pondering the practice of others may cause unwholesome self-identification-views and conceit: They don't seem to understand anything about dhamma. Their practice is ridiculous. Our practice is the only true practice ... and the like.

I know both drawbacks from my own experience. Maybe there is a middle way of rejecting practice of others due to doctrinal reasons without committing the second fault? Or maybe best is to not ponder the practice of others? So I wondered ...

:anjali:
Exhaling अ and inhaling धीः amounts to བྷྲཱུཾ་བི་ཤྭ་བི་ཤུད་དྷེ
No_Mind

Post by No_Mind »

polo wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:26 am
polo wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:19 am Any members of the forum here find the following Buddhist sect kind of "Mumbo Jumbo" ? They are the following: Japanese Nicheren Soka Gakkai
Tibetan Buddhism
Certain Chinese Buddhist Sect(so many of them -under different names).
By Mumbo Jumbo I mean they no longer really following the real teaching of Buddha they have formulated too much rituals and too many stories and mythology attached to their teachings. It is the rituals and performance of certain rites that I feel make them "Mumbo Jumbo".
Well, I am just asking. No bad intentions - would love to hear views from pure Theravadins.
There are huge number of SGI members here. Their face lights up when they hear I am a Buddhist. Shortly thereafter I inform them that I do not consider what they follow to be Buddhism in any way, shape or form; that I would have some respect if they were pure Nichiren but SGI is a fake sect.

You mean you told them straight in their face you don't consider SGI as true Buddhism? Oh no, you hurt their feelings I guess. Being Buddhist you shouldn't do that. Compassion remember? They are misled. Poor souls that do not find the path of Buddha.
I guess some of them will eventually found out the truth and leave SGI . Perhaps thereafter never again want to listen to any more talks on Buddhism be it Theravada or Mahayana.
I think if someone is with SGI they should be told they are not Buddhists. I am not rude but refuse to acquiesce with people who are not Buddhists but claim they are. As I said I would not act that way with someone from Nichiren.

I told them that they are not on the path of Buddha. That is compassion! Not telling them would have been dispassion.

Do you really think that an average middle aged person is really interested in Theravada or Mahayana? Do you think an average person is at all interested in anything other than material things?

Look up the thread Why so few Western Buddhists

"The struggle itself toward the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy.”― Albert Camus
polo

Post by polo »

No_Mind wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:09 am
polo wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:26 am

I think if someone is with SGI they should be told they are not Buddhists. I am not rude but refuse to acquiesce with people who are not Buddhists but claim they are. As I said I would not act that way with someone from Nichiren.

I told them that they are not on the path of Buddha. That is compassion! Not telling them would have been dispassion.

Do you really think that an average middle aged person is really interested in Theravada or Mahayana? Do you think an average person is at all interested in anything other than material things?

Look up the thread Why so few Western Buddhists

What does OTOH stands for?
Pulsar

Post by Pulsar »

binocular wrote
"SarathW wrote: ↑Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:43 pm
*gasp*
What if she outsmartens him?!
:tongue:
Thank you binocular, I always liked you. Now I know why? you think outside
the box. With love
Pulsar

Post by Pulsar »

Sarath W wrote
Like minded ?!! :thinking:
Hmm do you want DW to include something like Match.com? Tthank you for your sense of humor or were you
serious?
Pulsar

Post by Pulsar »

No_Mind wrote
"they are mostly middle aged women and quite pretty"
Are you talking of the Nicheren sect? I am so unfamiliar with this sect, can you elaborate?
Have you been to their meetings?
binocular

Post by binocular »

No_Mind wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:09 amI think if someone is with SGI they should be told they are not Buddhists.
And if they put you on the spot and demand you to declare your attainment?
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
binocular

Post by binocular »

SteRo wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:38 am1. Pondering the practice of others may cause unwholesome doubt as to one's own practice: Maybe theirs is better? Maybe I should try their practice because there is no progress with my practice? ... and the like
This is interesting. I was raised to think that comparing oneself to others and keeping up with them is essential in life in general, and esp. in religion/spirituality.
I know both drawbacks from my own experience. Maybe there is a middle way of rejecting practice of others due to doctrinal reasons without committing the second fault? Or maybe best is to not ponder the practice of others? So I wondered ...
Well, comparisons seem inevitable, and are not always bad. One might learn something from others, after all.
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!