Dhamma and Mathematics

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Alīno

Dhamma and Mathematics

Post by Alīno »

Hello friends :anjali:

It's said that the mathematics are the language of the World, that they shows the relationship between dhammas, and our task as practitioners is to se see these relationship in way to deconstruct and dispationate our minds.

So...
It seems to me that Sila Samadhi and Panna are in some way mathematic operation.
How is that?

Sila is a value, it's a + or - :
- wholesome actions add value
- unwholesome actions diminish value.

Samadhi is a multiplication:
- doing wholesome actions with pure mind we multiply value by positive number and go to heavenly realms
- doing unwholesome actions with impure mind we multiply value by negative number and go in hell realms

Panna is a division:
- wordly wisdom is a division by some number
- unwordly wisdom is a division by zero

In that way:
- we generate value with Sila, then we concentrate the whole World in one point with Samadhi, and devide this whole world by some number (or by zero if there is penetration to the Unconditioned) with Panna.

So please discuss : Dhamma and Maths - what do you think ? :anjali:
Ajahn Nanadassano (before ordaining) : Venerable Ajahn, what is the bigest error that buddhist do in their practice?
Ajahn Jayasaro : They stop practicing ...
Mkoll

Re: Dhamma and Mathematics

Post by Mkoll »

If we're mindful of an increase of wholesome states and a decrease in unwholesome states with what we're doing, we should continue. If we're stagnating or it's the opposite, we should implement changes. If conceiving of Dhamma in terms of maths leads to the former, great. If not, then change is needed.

IMO, it doesn't have to be any more complicated than that once we have a solid understanding of the Buddha's teachings. The hard part is the actual implementation: being mindful and clearly comprehending of what's going on and wisely acting upon it consistently.
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

It is good thinking. However applicable only to a mundane existence.
The way I understand this can not be applied to supermundane as it is unconditioned.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Alīno

Post by Alīno »

SarathW wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:50 am It is good thinking. However applicable only to a mundane existence.
The way I understand this can not be applied to supermundane as it is unconditioned.
Can you tell more Sarath ?:)
I don't see what you mean
Ajahn Nanadassano (before ordaining) : Venerable Ajahn, what is the bigest error that buddhist do in their practice?
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

The conditioned world is subject to a set of lows known as Niyama.
Kamma Niyama, Dhamma Niyama, Utu Niyama, Bijuniyama and Citta Niyama
If I am not mistaken the Niyama such as Dhamma may be explained in mathematics etc.
However, mathematics alone might not cover the whole set of phenomena.
Alīno

Post by Alīno »

SarathW wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:03 am The conditioned world is subject to a set of lows known as Niyama.
Kamma Niyama, Dhamma Niyama, Utu Niyama, Bijuniyama and Citta Niyama
If I am not mistaken the Niyama such as Dhamma may be explained in mathematics etc.
However, mathematics alone might not cover the whole set of phenomena.
Oh i see!
I think that maths its just à language of relationship of dhammas, and if we take Unconditioned Dhamma as number 0, we can describe all relationships with that language.

Why 0 is Unconditioned?
Because in suttas it's described only in negative form : "there is NO this, NO that etc."
But also because 0 is on the other shore of phenomenal. Even 0,000...001 will never tuch 0 and remain on the infinite distance from 0. So we can say that 0 is Unconditioned by numbers.
If you multiply or devide or add or sustract any bomber by 0, this number will remain "as it is" or "lose all his value/weight/dukkha"...

But its only metaphors ;)
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

To answer your question you have to investigate who create numbers.
What is its origin?
Are the numbers physical like earth and water?
Is there a beginning and the end of numbers?
There is a person who observes the numbers.
You know Hindus discover number zero.
Perhaps numbers also a mental construct like the time.
Alīno

Post by Alīno »

It's true, it's just a language ;)
But I found that using maths to describe Dhamma can be intresting ;)

Actualy it seems that Lord Buddha and other great Masters used maths quite often by mean of similies to describe Dhamma. Because maths is a language of relationships, and using smilies is also a language of relationships, but one describe with numbers, and other with real phenomenas, but relations, conditionality is the same. ;)