Pope visits Thailand

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
User avatar
gavesako
Posts: 1753
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:16 pm

Pope visits Thailand

Post by gavesako » Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:57 pm

The Pope receives a copy of Phra Malai manuscript as a gift in Bangkok.
They have probably chosen this text because it also talks about heaven and hell and good and bad karma, and how beings can be saved through intervention from above (Phra Malai going down to visit hell and those beings are saved from their bad destiny).

https://graphicarts.princeton.edu/2018/ ... hra-malai/

Bhikkhu Gavesako
Kiṃkusalagavesī anuttaraṃ santivarapadaṃ pariyesamāno... (MN 26)

Access to Insight - Theravada texts
Ancient Buddhist Texts - Translations and history of Pali texts
Dhammatalks.org - Sutta translations

User avatar
retrofuturist
Site Admin
Posts: 21879
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:52 pm
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Re: Pope visits Thailand

Post by retrofuturist » Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:57 pm

Greetings,

Unfortunately it probably won't amount to much, when the man regards himself as above the scriptures of his own tradition.

Nice gesture, although I hope it doesn't serve to legitimize him at all in Thailand.

Metta,
Paul. :)
"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"It is natural that one who knows and sees things as they really are is disenchanted and dispassionate." (AN 10.2)

“Truth does not change according to our ability to stomach it.” (Flannery O'Connor)

alfa
Posts: 393
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:43 pm
Location: India

Re: Pope visits Thailand

Post by alfa » Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:56 am

retrofuturist wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:57 pm
Greetings,

Unfortunately it probably won't amount to much, when the man regards himself as above the scriptures of his own tradition.

Nice gesture, although I hope it doesn't serve to legitimize him at all in Thailand.

Metta,
Paul. :)
I thought he was more open, more liberal, and therefore less judgmental of Buddhism?

User avatar
retrofuturist
Site Admin
Posts: 21879
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:52 pm
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Re: Pope visits Thailand

Post by retrofuturist » Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:59 am

Greetings alfa,
alfa wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:56 am
I thought he was more open, more liberal, and therefore less judgmental of Buddhism?
I'm not sure of his attitude towards Buddhism, but similarly, neither would I be placing much stock in his judgement or appraisal of it... I certainly wouldn't be seeking it.

Metta,
Paul. :)
"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"It is natural that one who knows and sees things as they really are is disenchanted and dispassionate." (AN 10.2)

“Truth does not change according to our ability to stomach it.” (Flannery O'Connor)

User avatar
DooDoot
Posts: 6422
Joined: Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:06 pm

Re: Pope visits Thailand

Post by DooDoot » Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:28 am

alfa wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:56 am
I thought he was more open, more liberal, and therefore less judgmental of Buddhism?
The Catholic Church has been emasculated for a while now. Now, they also mostly engage in political correctness, like most of the others. While their former objections to other religions may have been wrong, they have also lost their inherent character, as Jesus taught:
Matthew 5:13

You are the salt of the earth. But if the salt loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled underfoot.
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati

User avatar
Kim OHara
Posts: 5143
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:47 am
Location: North Queensland, Australia

Re: Pope visits Thailand

Post by Kim OHara » Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:04 am

retrofuturist wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:57 pm
Greetings,

Unfortunately it probably won't amount to much, when the man regards himself as above the scriptures of his own tradition.

Nice gesture, although I hope it doesn't serve to legitimize him at all in Thailand.

Metta,
Paul. :)
That's two unexplained negative comments in a row, Paul.
The second is simply a slur and deserves no explanation, since it is totally unjustifiable. I would like to see reason/s for the first, however.

:namaste:
Kim

User avatar
Kim OHara
Posts: 5143
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:47 am
Location: North Queensland, Australia

Re: Pope visits Thailand

Post by Kim OHara » Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:08 am

alfa wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:56 am
retrofuturist wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:57 pm
Greetings,

Unfortunately it probably won't amount to much, when the man regards himself as above the scriptures of his own tradition.

Nice gesture, although I hope it doesn't serve to legitimize him at all in Thailand.

Metta,
Paul. :)
I thought he was more open, more liberal, and therefore less judgmental of Buddhism?
He is a vast improvement over his predecessor.

:namaste:
Kim

User avatar
retrofuturist
Site Admin
Posts: 21879
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:52 pm
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Re: Pope visits Thailand

Post by retrofuturist » Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:47 am

Greetings Kim,
Kim OHara wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:04 am
That's two unexplained negative comments in a row, Paul.
The second is simply a slur and deserves no explanation, since it is totally unjustifiable.
I'd be curious exactly what "slur" that is, Kim. Please colour in the slur...
I'm not sure of his attitude towards Buddhism, but similarly, neither would I be placing much stock in his judgement or appraisal of it... I certainly wouldn't be seeking it.
Kim OHara wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:04 am
I would like to see reason/s for the first, however.
By which I assume you mean...
Unfortunately it probably won't amount to much, when the man regards himself as above the scriptures of his own tradition.
With very specific reference to the original post, here is a good example of him re-writing the meaning of hell, with complete disregard for scripture... I'm not sure how good your Italian is but here you go.

More generally, this article highlights the division between the traditional Catholic faction who believe in the scripture and tradition, and how that contradicts the Pope's progressivism on issues like abortion, homosexuality and Islam, including his most recent heresy of inventing new sins, although you might like this one. I hesitate to post any more, lest you take refuge in Pontifex.

Pope.jpg
Pope.jpg (18.68 KiB) Viewed 399 times

I don't think history will be kind to his legacy.

Metta,
Paul. :)
"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"It is natural that one who knows and sees things as they really are is disenchanted and dispassionate." (AN 10.2)

“Truth does not change according to our ability to stomach it.” (Flannery O'Connor)

User avatar
Mr Man
Posts: 3430
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:42 am

Re: Pope visits Thailand

Post by Mr Man » Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:45 am

pope.jpg

chownah
Posts: 8466
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:19 pm

Re: Pope visits Thailand

Post by chownah » Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:32 am

It makes sense that he would visit here. Madonna was here in 2016 and don't they have statues of her all over the Vatican?.....it just makes sense that he would visit thailand as part of his "The Following of Madonna Tour."
chownah

chownah
Posts: 8466
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:19 pm

Re: Pope visits Thailand

Post by chownah » Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:36 am

retrofuturist wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:57 pm
I hope it doesn't serve to legitimize him at all in Thailand.
You think he is illegitimate?.....the bastard pope?
chownah

chownah
Posts: 8466
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:19 pm

Re: Pope visits Thailand

Post by chownah » Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:37 am

Mr Man wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:45 am
pope.jpg
So....is it worse that this monk is HOLDING HANDS with the pope or that the dalai lama was hugging a nun?
chownah

chownah
Posts: 8466
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:19 pm

Re: Pope visits Thailand

Post by chownah » Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:44 am

DooDoot wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:28 am
alfa wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:56 am
I thought he was more open, more liberal, and therefore less judgmental of Buddhism?
The Catholic Church has been emasculated for a while now.
Wow! This is quite a change.....it used to be just some of the choir members but now you say its the entire church? :jawdrop:

Does being emasculated qualify one for FUQLBJ status?
chownah

chownah
Posts: 8466
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:19 pm

Re: Pope visits Thailand

Post by chownah » Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:46 am

Kim OHara wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:08 am
He is a vast improvement over his predecessor.
I would think so since I think that most if not all of them are dead.
chownah

chownah
Posts: 8466
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:19 pm

Re: Pope visits Thailand

Post by chownah » Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:49 am

Kim OHara wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:04 am
retrofuturist wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:57 pm
Greetings,

Unfortunately it probably won't amount to much, when the man regards himself as above the scriptures of his own tradition.

Nice gesture, although I hope it doesn't serve to legitimize him at all in Thailand.

Metta,
Paul. :)
That's two unexplained negative comments in a row, Paul.
Yes, and as we all know two negatives in a row creates a positive.....thanks for the kind words, Paul.
chownah

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 140 guests