Mahayana /Vajrayana attitude with Pali Canon?

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
binocular

Re: Mahayana /Vajrayana attitude with Pali Canon?

Post by binocular » Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:17 pm

greenjuice wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:39 pm
Again, the point is that needn't be interpreted like that. Buddha didn't have every interaction with lay people be a criticism of them being lay people, on the contrary, he would give them advice about how to be happy as lay people, and even criticized lay people who didn't enjoy in what they have.

As i said above: Monks who renounce the world work towards nibbana, lay people don't. From the perspective of the former position, the latter position is lowly and 'bad', but that is *from the perspective of one accepting that pursuit*.
When one reads the suttas, one gets the whole picture of the Buddha's stance on monastics and his stance on lays.
When one knows the full scope of someone's opinion of something or someone, it takes deliberate denial to consider and hold dear only a portion of it.

"Oh, sure, she talks ill behind my back, I know that for a fact, I saw her videos on YT, but she never said anything mean to my face, so I like her, and I'll just ignore the things she says about me behind my back."
Every person we save is one less zombie to fight. -- World War Z

greenjuice

Post by greenjuice » Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:23 pm

You're simply wrong. You're the one who is deliberately denying Buddha's teachings Dan just mentioned in the last message here, and which i've mentioned several times.
"Oh, sure, she talks ill behind my back, I know that for a fact, I saw her videos on YT, but she never said anything mean to my face, so I like her, and I'll just ignore the things she says about me behind my back."
Soo, basically, when Buddha talked with upakasakas giving advising them how they should pursue worldly happiness they should have reacted with "take a load of this [guy], hypocritically playing nice to our face but then bad-mouthing us to his monks". Either Buddha was such a person, or actually Buddha gave teachings both for happiness in samsara (for those who want that), and teachings on how to escape samsara (for those who want that).

binocular

Post by binocular » Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:29 am

It's impossible to understand the nature of sensuality, but nevertheless still want it and still think there's happiness in it.
Every person we save is one less zombie to fight. -- World War Z