Why there are Christian monks?

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Caodemarte

Re: Why there are Christian monks?

Post by Caodemarte » Sun Sep 01, 2019 3:48 pm

SarathW wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:02 pm
Caodemarte wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:43 pm
Could I ask why one asks question on Christian monks or any different religion on a Buddhist forum?
This is the connecting to other paths forum.
It is good to know about other religions as we live with 6.5 billion people with other faiths.
This is an attempt to know the similarities and the difference in Buddhism and other religions.
In the same way religions from other faith can ask questions here too.
As far as it does not proselytize.
Not to be too cranky, but very little here seems concerned with comparison or connections. It seems the weakest possible source of information, much like asking chemists to describe the history of languages. Sadly, on this forum the bigoted often rush in to bash other religions (not saying this has happened here).

Justsit

Re: Why there are Christian monks?

Post by Justsit » Sun Sep 01, 2019 5:14 pm

Caodemarte wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 3:48 pm
SarathW wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:02 pm
Caodemarte wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:43 pm
Could I ask why one asks question on Christian monks or any different religion on a Buddhist forum?
This is the connecting to other paths forum.
It is good to know about other religions as we live with 6.5 billion people with other faiths.
This is an attempt to know the similarities and the difference in Buddhism and other religions.
In the same way religions from other faith can ask questions here too.
As far as it does not proselytize.
Not to be too cranky, but very little here seems concerned with comparison or connections. It seems the weakest possible source of information, much like asking chemists to describe the history of languages. Sadly, on this forum the bigoted often rush in to bash other religions (not saying this has happened here).
There is extensive accurate information at the basic level in the Wiki's cited. I'm sure if OP needs additional, more detailed information, he will ask. There are a number of posters here who are former Christians that would be happy to discuss this topic in more detail if there is interest.

And no, I think that this discussion has been very balanced, no bashing here at all. Quite refreshing, actually.