Why there are Christian monks?

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
SarathW

Post by SarathW » Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:47 am

What is their objective?
Why can't they practice at home without becoming a priest?
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”

DooDoot

Re: Why there are Christian monks?

Post by DooDoot » Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:51 am

:shrug:

Why there are Buddhist monks?
What is their objective?
Why can't they practice at home without becoming a teacher?
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati

SarathW

Post by SarathW » Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:00 am

DooDoot wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:51 am
:shrug:

Why there are Buddhist monks?
What is their objective?
Why can't they practice at home without becoming a teacher?
It is not easy to become an Angami by practicing at home.
You can't give up many things as a layperson.

chownah

Post by chownah » Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:18 pm

DooDoot

Post by DooDoot » Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:22 pm

SarathW wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:00 am
It is not easy to become an Angami by practicing at home.
You can't give up many things as a layperson.
I still do not understand your original question. Isn't the life of a Christian monk, as described by Jesus in the Gospels, similar to a Buddhist monk, where you make your sole refuge 'God' and the generosity of others? :shrug:
Jesus wrote:And everyone who has left houses or brothers or sisters or father or mother or wife or children or fields for the sake of My name will receive a hundredfold and will inherit eternal life.

https://biblehub.com/matthew/19-29.htm
Jesus wrote:5 “Do not go among the Gentiles or enter any town of the Samaritans. 6 Go rather to the lost sheep of Israel. 7 As you go, proclaim this message: ‘The kingdom of heaven has come near.’ 8 Heal the sick, raise the dead, cleanse those who have leprosy, drive out demons. Freely you have received; freely give.

9 “Do not get any gold or silver or copper to take with you in your belts— 10 no bag for the journey or extra shirt or sandals or a staff, for the worker is worth his keep. 11 Whatever town or village you enter, search there for some worthy person and stay at their house until you leave. 12 As you enter the home, give it your greeting. 13 If the home is deserving, let your peace rest on it; if it is not, let your peace return to you. 14 If anyone will not welcome you or listen to your words, leave that home or town and shake the dust off your feet. 15 Truly I tell you, it will be more bearable for Sodom and Gomorrah on the day of judgment than for that town.

16 “I am sending you out like sheep among wolves. Therefore be as shrewd as snakes and as innocent as doves. 17 Be on your guard; you will be handed over to the local councils and be flogged in the synagogues.

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?s ... ersion=NIV
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati

SarathW

Post by SarathW » Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:52 pm

I still do not understand your original question.
I am just trying to compare and contrast Buddhist monks and Christian monks.
Not in a bad way, but to understand them better.
For instance, I know Christian monks are actively working on social services such as health, looking after sick and poor, education, health care, aged care, etc. Generally, Buddhist monks are condemned for the wrong livelihood for involving in these activities.

mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:17 pm

SarathW wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:52 pm
Generally, Buddhist monks are condemned for the wrong livelihood for involving in these activities.
Generally? My impression is that this only happens on internet forums... :tongue:

:heart:
Mike

SarathW

Post by SarathW » Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:45 pm

mikenz66 wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:17 pm
SarathW wrote:
Generally, Buddhist monks are condemned for the wrong livelihood for involving in these activities.
Generally? My impression is that this only happens on internet forums... :tongue:

:heart:
Mike
Actuall not.
I used to give tuitions to high school children in Sri Lankan temple.
There was a lot of criticism for the monk in this temple in newspapers disparaging him as a tuition trader.

Justsit

Post by Justsit » Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:07 am

SarathW wrote:
For instance, I know Christian monks are actively working on social services such as health, looking after sick and poor, education, health care, aged care, etc. Generally, Buddhist monks are condemned for the wrong livelihood for involving in these activities.
There are different types of Christian monks. Some orders are, as you mentioned, active in social services.

Others, however, are cloistered, living a life of prayer and contemplation in a monastery. They usually do some type of labor to support themselves, such as making caskets or religious articles, or sometimes foodstuffs. Some monks rarely leave the grounds on which the monastery is located. One such order is the Trappists https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trappists, to which the monk Thomas Merton https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Merton belonged. Merton had developed an interest in Buddhism, Zen in particular, and actually died in Thailand while attending an inter-religious conference on East-West monastic dialogue.

SarathW

Post by SarathW » Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:51 am

living a life of prayer and contemplation in a monastery.
What are the contemplate on?

Justsit

Post by Justsit » Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:55 pm

SarathW wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:51 am
living a life of prayer and contemplation in a monastery.
What are the contemplate on?
There are various types of Christian contemplation. A very extensive overview is found here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_contemplation. Scrolling down to the section "Meditation and Contemplation" and reading through the section marked 'Unity" gives a pretty good summary.

Basically, "... infused contemplation, described as a "divinely originated, general, non-conceptual, loving awareness of God"..is the normal, ordinary development of discursive prayer, which it gradually replaces...". It is based on a Biblical scripture -
“Be still and know that I am God.” Psalms 46:10.

Caodemarte

Post by Caodemarte » Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:43 pm

Could I ask why one asks question on Christian monks or any different religion on a Buddhist forum?

SarathW

Post by SarathW » Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:02 pm

Caodemarte wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:43 pm
Could I ask why one asks question on Christian monks or any different religion on a Buddhist forum?
This is the connecting to other paths forum.
It is good to know about other religions as we live with 6.5 billion people with other faiths.
This is an attempt to know the similarities and the difference in Buddhism and other religions.
In the same way religions from other faith can ask questions here too.
As far as it does not proselytize.

santa100

Post by santa100 » Sun Sep 01, 2019 3:53 am

SarathW wrote:Why there are Christian monks?
What is their objective?
Because some of their schools also observe strict celibacy just like the Buddhist monastics. Some schools share very similar precepts code just like those taught in the Vinaya. Things start to diverge only when it comes to tenets and doctrines, which is something you're gonna have to check with those Christian brothers/sisters to know more details.

sentinel

Post by sentinel » Sun Sep 01, 2019 3:33 pm

SarathW wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:47 am
What is their objective?
Some Christian monks are like the mystics . Once when I was in Greece over twenty years ago , if not mistaken it was mount Athos that I visited , the residents were orthodox churches monks I think . We were planning to visit another place where isolated recluses live and we need to travel by boat but at the end the trip was aborted .
:buddha1: