Who/what do you think the Christian god is?

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Bhikkhu Pesala

Re: Who/what do you think the Christian god is?

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala » Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:05 pm

None of the above:

God belief is a Poisoned Arrow
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)

Caodemarte

Post by Caodemarte » Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:25 pm

Who do Christians believe their god is? There are over 2,000 years of sophisticated theology that argue against all the naïve Sunday school descriptions here (not to say that some people may embrace what the Pope called the flying magician with a beard heresy and its variants). It would be better to ask what does specific Christian X believe.

Sam Vara

Post by Sam Vara » Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:09 pm

Caodemarte wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:25 pm
Who do Christians believe their god is? There are over 2,000 years of sophisticated theology that argue against all the naïve Sunday school descriptions here (not to say that some people may embrace what the Pope called the flying magician with a beard heresy and its variants). It would be better to ask what does specific Christian X believe.
:goodpost:

Excellent point. If you were to go to a Christian forum and ask them what they thought was meant by (say) Nibbana, or anatta, they would probably have a good deal of knockabout fun with it.

My guess is, though, that the discussion would do more to signal their Christian credentials than to further anyone's understanding.

confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman » Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:02 pm

according to scientific research, humans were not created as such. it says some 6th day or 7th day, 2 humans created. but evolution says, it took millions of life time to get humans from animals. even human itself is not absolute being, they are still in evolution each and every second. in future humans may evolve to have wings and four hands. so they will see us as undeveloped species lol.

the one who wrote bible clearly thought everything as permanent, stable etc which is wrong view. humans can't be created as such unless permanent absolute non changing reality is true which comes under wrong view.

Who is christian god? from the text it should be given. however, I never read bible in life, so my guess is Jesus or Allah?
non-agitation is highest peace
living unaffected by other cause and condition to suffering is true bliss
not associating with stupid people is immediate peace
- CL (confused layman)

ehensens

Post by ehensens » Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:10 pm

SarathW wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:34 pm
Whether Buddhist, non-Buddhist or Athiest we all follow the Eight Fold Path.
Hello SarathW :hello:

Could you please explain in what way an atheist follows the eight fold path?

Thank you,
Erik

sentinel

Post by sentinel » Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:58 am

Hebrew god = Asura
Christian god = kama loka god , probably equal to sakka realm god but NOT sakka himself or possibly resemble the Devas Delighting in Creation (nimmanarati deva) . These devas delight in the sense objects of their own creation .
The Christian god has some female retinue , whereas Brahma realms appear to have male form deity only .

I am a buddhist from beginning but I dreamt of children angels before . So I guess this can be seen as gandhabba rank .
:buddha1: