Different meanings of dhamma/dharma in Buddhism and Jainism

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Dinsdale

Different meanings of dhamma/dharma in Buddhism and Jainism

Post by Dinsdale » Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:50 am

I was browsing the Wiki article on Jainism, and was intrigued to see that "Dharma" means motion, while "Adharma" means rest.
See the sub-heading on Dravya (substance), which is at the beginning of the section on Beliefs and philosophy.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jainism

A couple of questions arising from this:
1. How did dharma/dhamma come to have such different meanings in two culturally adjacent traditions like Buddhism and Jainism?
2. Is there anything in the Buddhist suttas which corresponds to this idea of motion or movement?
Buddha save me from new-agers!

sunnat

Re: Different meanings of dhamma/dharma in Buddhism and Jainism

Post by sunnat » Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:08 pm

"According to Dundas, Dharma as a metaphysical substance in Jain philosophy may be understood as "that which carries" instead of the literal sense of ordinary physical motion. Thus, dharma includes all verbal and mental activity that contributes to karma and purification of the soul.[177]" is in the next subsection. In a way that could be seen as similar. "that which carries" in the sense that dhamma is everything that exists in a present and then exists, changed, in the next present and so on like a flow of reality through time that "carries" .

Dinsdale

Post by Dinsdale » Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:22 pm

sunnat wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:08 pm
"According to Dundas, Dharma as a metaphysical substance in Jain philosophy may be understood as "that which carries" instead of the literal sense of ordinary physical motion. Thus, dharma includes all verbal and mental activity that contributes to karma and purification of the soul.[177]" is in the next subsection. In a way that could be seen as similar. "that which carries" in the sense that dhamma is everything that exists in a present and then exists, changed, in the next present and so on like a flow of reality through time that "carries" .
Well spotted. In my own practice I notice the movement of the senses and the mind, which seems similar. So perhaps dhamma in the sense of actions and events, or phenomena in motion?

sunnat

Post by sunnat » Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:13 am

It seems so though sometimes the way you describe it is anicca.

Dinsdale

Post by Dinsdale » Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:00 am

sunnat wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:13 am
It seems so though sometimes the way you describe it is anicca.
Yes, motion implies change, and therefore anicca.
Turning to "Adharma", that seems to imply stillness.

sunnat

Post by sunnat » Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:09 am

From wiki : "The wife of Adharma (vice) was Hiṃsā (violence), on whom he begot a son Anṛta (falsehood), and a daughter Nikṛti (immorality): they intermarried, and had two sons, Bhaya (fear) and Naraka (hell); and twins to them, two daughters, Māyā (deceit) and Vedanā (torture), who became their wives. The son of Bhaya and Māyā was the destroyer of living creatures, or Mṛtyu (death); and Duḥkha (pain) was the offspring of Naraka and Vedanā. The children of Mṛtyu... " etc

"that which obstructs" - stops the flow of (good) dhamma.? (if accepting the idea of good and bad dhamma as implied by Dundas.)

sunnat

Post by sunnat » Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:19 am

There is also the concept of kamma as momentum.